Replay tv Vs. Tivo

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
February 5, 2005 4:44:04 PM

I'm considering getting a DVR and am confused by the many options. I
have Directv and am not sure if I should get a directv DVR with tivo, a
stand alone tivo unit, or replay tv. I noticed shop at home network had
some replay tv units very cheap last week but was not sure if the replay
service was as good or better than tivo. Can anyone help?

More about : replay tivo

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 8:16:25 PM

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 13:44:04 -0500, soxfan98@webtv.net wrote:

>I'm considering getting a DVR and am confused by the many options. I
>have Directv and am not sure if I should get a directv DVR with tivo, a
>stand alone tivo unit, or replay tv. I noticed shop at home network had
>some replay tv units very cheap last week but was not sure if the replay
>service was as good or better than tivo. Can anyone help?

The ReplayTV is more versatile, and integrated units (like directv
DVR) are less versatile. The 55xx Replays do lack a couple of features
of the earlier 5xxx units, but are still preferable to those others.

The only exception would be if you need a HD-compatible unit, since
Replay still doesn't make those.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx

February 6, 2005 1:37:14 AM

Given that you've come to the Replay TV newsgroup you'll find that we're
mostly RTV cheerleaders here. I love the 7 RTV units I have but then I
have the older and more feature rich 5000 series rather than the
crippled and more TIVOlike 5500 series. If you can find a 5040 - 5320
model on ebay, buy it!

From:soxfan98@webtv.net
soxfan98@webtv.net

> I'm considering getting a DVR and am confused by the many options. I
> have Directv and am not sure if I should get a directv DVR with tivo,
> a stand alone tivo unit, or replay tv. I noticed shop at home network
> had some replay tv units very cheap last week but was not sure if the
> replay service was as good or better than tivo. Can anyone help?
Related resources
February 6, 2005 3:20:40 AM

I've had both in the last two months, and I'd have to agree that the
replay is much more user-friendly. If you already have Directv, the
cost of only $5.00 a month activation and feeding both LNB outputs to
the unit really influenced my decision to go with the Directv/tivo
model. Pros are cost and being able to watch a different channel than
you are recording, without having to split anything. Con, no ethernet,
no convienent 30 sec commerial advance and a confusing control setup.

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 17:16:25 -0600, Mark Lloyd
<mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

>On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 13:44:04 -0500, soxfan98@webtv.net wrote:
>
>>I'm considering getting a DVR and am confused by the many options. I
>>have Directv and am not sure if I should get a directv DVR with tivo, a
>>stand alone tivo unit, or replay tv. I noticed shop at home network had
>>some replay tv units very cheap last week but was not sure if the replay
>>service was as good or better than tivo. Can anyone help?
>
>The ReplayTV is more versatile, and integrated units (like directv
>DVR) are less versatile. The 55xx Replays do lack a couple of features
>of the earlier 5xxx units, but are still preferable to those others.
>
>The only exception would be if you need a HD-compatible unit, since
>Replay still doesn't make those.
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 4:57:30 AM

> The reason I call it "more TIVOlike" is because it lacks the main
> features that distinguish it from TIVO.
> As for the importance of the two features, that of course, is
> subjective. I do find myself receiving or sending shows on a regular
> basis through Poopli and I REALLY do appreciate the automatic Commercial
> Advance just as I had on my RCA/Proscan VHS machines for the last 12
> years.

Removing IVS and making CA manual hardly make a Replay "TIVOlike". Tivo
couldn't even dream of the utility of Replays' networking, DVArchive,
and the web interface.
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 11:03:54 AM

In article <cJgNd.7425$e11.3611@twister.socal.rr.com>,
"BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:

> No "Elmo," I stand by what I said. The 5500 is a crippled 5000 for
> exactly the two reasons you mentioned.

That doesn't make it "crippled" by any means. IVS is fun but
impractical, and while AUTOMATIC commercial advance is great and I use
it all the time, manual commercial advance is MUCH better than Tivo's
VCR-like fast forward, for example.

It's not like Tivo at all.

> The reason I call it "more TIVOlike" is because it lacks the main
> features that distinguish it from TIVO.

Main features? Let's see: commercial markers for commercial
advance--winner: Replay. Built in home networking--winner: Replay.
DVArchive to take full advantage of the networking--winner: Replay. 30
second QuickSkip--winner: Replay.

All of these things are on both the 5000 and 5500 series of Replays, and
not at all on Tivo. Now, tell the world again how the 5500 is more
Tivo-like?

The 5500 is not at all Tivo-like compared to the 5000 series. We're
talking exactly TWO differences, both of which are extremely esoteric
compared to the Tivo. Tivo doesn't even come close to the functionality
of the Replay, with or without those two features.
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 1:01:30 PM

> That doesn't make it "crippled" by any means. IVS is fun but
> impractical,

It would be hard to convince the 5000+ people on Poopli.

> and while AUTOMATIC commercial advance is great and I use
> it all the time, manual commercial advance is MUCH better than Tivo's
> VCR-like fast forward, for example.

I absolutely cannot see how people can use that dumb interface compared
to Replay's ability to move instantly to any point in a show or menu. I
once read a letter to the editor concerning a test report between a
Corvette and a Porsche 911. They were screaming about how close the
numbers were and how the report was biased because they choose the
Porsche despite the results being "the same". The editor replied "only
if you're sitting in a bucket of novocaine".
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 1:52:33 PM

Point taken, I didn't mean to imply that it became a TIVO but just had
less to distinguish itself from TIVO. I'd still buy a 5500 over a TIVO
but would always opt for a 5000 even if it's used.

From:Tony D
nospam@nospam.com

>> The reason I call it "more TIVOlike" is because it lacks the main
>> features that distinguish it from TIVO.
>> As for the importance of the two features, that of course, is
>> subjective. I do find myself receiving or sending shows on a regular
>> basis through Poopli and I REALLY do appreciate the automatic
>> Commercial Advance just as I had on my RCA/Proscan VHS machines for
>> the last 12 years.
>
> Removing IVS and making CA manual hardly make a Replay "TIVOlike".
> Tivo couldn't even dream of the utility of Replays' networking,
> DVArchive, and the web interface.
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 4:34:35 PM

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> The 5500 has neither of those. However, it still marks commercial
> breaks;

Does it? So, if I receive a show that came from a 5500, will it skip
commercials when I play it back on a 5000? How about if I record it on
a 5500 and then watch it though a networked 5000? I have a 5500 on the
way and while it's simple enough to skip ahead, it would still be cool
to get CA via the other box.
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 4:34:36 PM

In article <L1pNd.25078$8H2.5452@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
pjs <pjs@_pjsdesigns.com> wrote:

> > The 5500 has neither of those. However, it still marks commercial
> > breaks;
> >

> Does it? So, if I receive a show that came from a 5500, will it skip
> commercials when I play it back on a 5000?

Received through IVS? It should, if everything came over with that show.

> How about if I record it on
> a 5500 and then watch it though a networked 5000?

Yep.
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 6:59:59 PM

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article <L1pNd.25078$8H2.5452@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
> pjs <pjs@_pjsdesigns.com> wrote:

>>How about if I record it on
>>a 5500 and then watch it though a networked 5000?
>

> Yep.

Cool. My wife *hates* commercials, and when I let her use the remote,
she just keeps stabbing at the 30-second button until we're a couple
minutes into the actual show (drives me nuts; I've tried to explain the
press 3 and then the skip to jump three minutes but...).

The couple of times I've tried the scene navigation, it's jumped to the
end of the show, so I haven't played with it much.
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 9:39:54 PM

soxfan98@webtv.net wrote:
> I'm considering getting a DVR and am confused by the many options. I
> have Directv and am not sure if I should get a directv DVR with tivo, a
> stand alone tivo unit, or replay tv. I noticed shop at home network had
> some replay tv units very cheap last week but was not sure if the replay
> service was as good or better than tivo. Can anyone help?

Well, in all the basics the difference between RePlay and Tivo might
well not be noticed... But only in the basics, both allow you to
schedule recordings, pause, rewind, fastforward (up to "live" can't fast
forward past "live") and so forth.

Replay allows you to local network 2 or more units together, one or more
of those units may be a computer running a java program called DVARCHIVE

Older (50xx and older) units also do internet video sharing, sending
shows OVER the net, ifyou wish and allow. (55xxs won't do that)

The ability to control my Replay with my computer, from a different
room, or (Given enough warning) to schedule a show to record from...
Well, just about anywhere in the world (Via the web) and the ability to
share between models of the same family (50/55 in my case) made all the
difference in the world, Replay has had these features all along, TiVo
is starting to get the idea.

That is why I choose Replay
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 12:43:48 AM

OK, Elmo, you're absolutely right. The 5500 is every bit as good as the
5000. Want to trade me your now used 5000 for a brand new, in the box
5500 with a larger drive with whatever subscription plan you now have?
Unless your answer is an enthusiastic "yes!" my point is made. BTW, if
you do say "yes," be prepared to do it.

From:Elmo P. Shagnasty
elmop@nastydesigns.com

> In article <cJgNd.7425$e11.3611@twister.socal.rr.com>,
> "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:
>
>> No "Elmo," I stand by what I said. The 5500 is a crippled 5000 for
>> exactly the two reasons you mentioned.
>
> That doesn't make it "crippled" by any means. IVS is fun but
> impractical, and while AUTOMATIC commercial advance is great and I use
> it all the time, manual commercial advance is MUCH better than Tivo's
> VCR-like fast forward, for example.
>
> It's not like Tivo at all.
>

>> The reason I call it "more TIVOlike" is because it lacks the main
>> features that distinguish it from TIVO.
>
> Main features? Let's see: commercial markers for commercial
> advance--winner: Replay. Built in home networking--winner: Replay.
> DVArchive to take full advantage of the networking--winner: Replay.
> 30 second QuickSkip--winner: Replay.
>
> All of these things are on both the 5000 and 5500 series of Replays,
> and not at all on Tivo. Now, tell the world again how the 5500 is
> more Tivo-like?
>
> The 5500 is not at all Tivo-like compared to the 5000 series. We're
> talking exactly TWO differences, both of which are extremely esoteric
> compared to the Tivo. Tivo doesn't even come close to the
> functionality of the Replay, with or without those two features.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 1:00:45 AM

In article <TPzNd.8612$WD4.5899@twister.socal.rr.com>,
"BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:

> I never said ANY of that.

Any of what?

Here's what you said:

In article <uUbNd.8184$WD4.2041@twister.socal.rr.com>,
"BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:

> I love the 7 RTV units I have but then I
> have the older and more feature rich 5000 series rather than the
> crippled and more TIVOlike 5500 series.

More TIVOlike how?

We went on to explain to you how the 5500 is nowhere near "more
TIVOlike" as you claimed, and how the "crippling" is exactly 2 features.

I repeat: I'll give you a Tivo with full subscription in exchange for
your Replay 5500 with no subscription. If the 5500 is more TIVOlike as
you say, you shouldn't have any problem with that deal, right? You'd
get a full paid-up subscription out of it, and a box that's like the
Replay. Right? That's what you said.

The fact is, the 5500 is NOT "more TIVOlike" any more than my
grandmother is. It's 5000-like, with two missing features. Period. It
still has everything the 5000 has with regard to scheduling shows,
sharing shows inside your house, using DVArchive, using myreplaytv.com,
etc.--a whole SLEW of things that are no more TIVOlike than is a VCR.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 3:58:12 AM

Tony D wrote:

> I absolutely cannot see how people can use that dumb interface compared
> to Replay's ability to move instantly to any point in a show or menu. I
> once read a letter to the editor concerning a test report between a
> Corvette and a Porsche 911. They were screaming about how close the
> numbers were and how the report was biased because they choose the
> Porsche despite the results being "the same". The editor replied "only
> if you're sitting in a bucket of novocaine".

ROFL

So, The VCR make my wife prefers Auto equivalent YUGO

The VCR Make I replaced her last "Yugo" with Hum... Chevy Lumina

Tivo... Mustang

Replay Porsch 911 Or perhaps a Testarosa (If I've spelled it right)
(That is not a porsch folks, it's all engine and fuel tank with 2 seats
and a few controls_

By the way ... Gave you read the write up on the new Ford "Go-Fast" car ?

You buy very expensive tires for that one cause the regular kind I have
on my Lumina... Well, they are only rated to 150 MPH and the new Ford
(As well as the top end Porsch and a few others) can slap 200MPH ON THE
WAY UP!!!!!. Now, there is fast, and there is faster, and that's WAY
TOO FAST unless you are a jet jockey flying an F-14 or some such
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 4:08:10 AM

pjs wrote:

> Cool. My wife *hates* commercials, and when I let her use the remote,
> she just keeps stabbing at the 30-second button until we're a couple
> minutes into the actual show (drives me nuts; I've tried to explain the
> press 3 and then the skip to jump three minutes but...).
>
> The couple of times I've tried the scene navigation, it's jumped to the
> end of the show, so I haven't played with it much.

Hey.... We married to the same wife?????

I won a 5040 on E-bay last month, paid of it on the 25th, Filed a
complaint with Pay Pal when it did not arrive (they impounded the funds)
and there was no contact with the seller (taht got his attention) he
blamed e-mail problems on my end (not) and then sent me a tracking
number for another package then apologized and sent me another tracking
number which says on Jan 27 it was received by the post office in CA
and, as of last check, it was still there. I'm not holding my breath.
Pay Pal IS holding my money (They have not released it to him)

However, Last night I had to go out and buy an USB hard drive. (The one
I had works,,, but it would not work for restorign a chrashed laptop)

While I was there I picked up a cheap Panasonic VCR (Beats the tapes out
of the Maganavox she was using plus the remote won't touch the other VCR
in the room)

Had a terrible time explaining to wife it was a VCR in spite of the big
3 inch high letters on the package..... Oh well.

At least it's working (not only did VCR-1 crash totaly, but the back up
Maganavox also failed completly... 10 minutes after I got home with a
Panasonic) I don't know what she's going to do when I plug in a Replay
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 7:53:03 AM

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> shaped the electrons to say:
>Main features? Let's see: commercial markers for commercial
>advance--winner: Replay. Built in home networking--winner: Replay.
>DVArchive to take full advantage of the networking--winner: Replay. 30
>second QuickSkip--winner: Replay.
>
>All of these things are on both the 5000 and 5500 series of Replays, and
>not at all on Tivo. Now, tell the world again how the 5500 is more
>Tivo-like?

TiVoToGo - officially supported, DVArchive - not officially
supported. Yes, DVArchive has more features today, but that's
changing over time. JavaHMO already provides a number of features to
TiVo that you can't get on RTV.

TiVoHME (developer release today) - nothing at all like it for RTV

QuickSkip - TiVo has it too. Oh, so you have to turn it on, whoopee.

Music playback over network--winner: TiVo.
Photo viewing over network--winner: TiVo.

>compared to the Tivo. Tivo doesn't even come close to the functionality
>of the Replay, with or without those two features.

How many times do we need to have this dance. TiVo does things RTV
does not do, RTV does things Tivo does not do. Claiming one 'doesn't
even come close' to the other is idiotic. It all depends on what
you're needs and wants are.

*Personally* RTV does NOT do what I want, and TiVo does - so the
choice is clear. I use TiVo's Wishlists a lot, and RTV still doesn't
have the same level of support. I also use music playback, which RTV
doesn't have.

There is also the fact that TiVo is still a platform being developed
and expanded - witness the recent HME launch - while RTV hasn't had an
update in ages, and it doesn't appear that DNNA is still doing any
development for RTV.

If you want to get into different platforms, you also have DVD
playback and recording with TiVo and not RTV.

-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/&gt; <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/&gt; Eris
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 7:53:04 AM

> TiVoToGo - officially supported, DVArchive - not officially
> supported. Yes, DVArchive has more features today, but that's
> changing over time.
> TiVoHME (developer release today) - nothing at all like it for RTV

"officially supported" who cares.
and vaporware does not count.

> QuickSkip - TiVo has it too. Oh, so you have to turn it on, whoopee.

The Tivo hack is in no way comparable to the elaborate cue and revue
features of replays.

> Music playback over network--winner: TiVo.
> Photo viewing over network--winner: TiVo.
> *Personally* RTV does NOT do what I want, and TiVo does -

"Personally", I want a PVR that that can time shift and distribute
programs through out the house with an interface that allows near
instant navigation in playback and menu structures. Now the Tivo does
this, Replay does that have valid points, but none of them obscure the
basic operations. Your Beetle may float longer than an Accord, and hence
be a better boat, but I'd rather commute every day in the Accord.

> There is also the fact that TiVo is still a platform being developed
> and expanded - witness the recent HME launch - while RTV hasn't had an
> update in ages, and it doesn't appear that DNNA is still doing any
> development for RTV.

Again, don't give us the latest Tivo press releases. Let us know when it
comes out. And if you want to know DNNAs plans, just read their
corporate reports instead of making things up. Given Tivo's track
record, I'd bet you'll be able to buy a HD Replay before Tivo.

> If you want to get into different platforms, you also have DVD
> playback and recording with TiVo and not RTV.

Right. And all of these combo units are DRM hobbled kludges. And Tivo,
in an attempt to stay alive, is firmly in bed with the content suppliers.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 8:03:38 AM

wa8yxm@do.not.spam.arrl.net shaped the electrons to say:
>difference in the world, Replay has had these features all along, TiVo
>is starting to get the idea.

Replay did not have these features 'all along' - networking was
introduced with the 4000 series, it was not on the earlier units.
TiVo's Series2 units shipped at about the same time as the 4000 and
were designed for networking too. They didn't receive the software to
enable it until later, but they have had show sharing (Multi-Room
Viewing in TiVo speak) for a long time now. ReplayTV has never, and
still does not, *support* sharing content with a PC. TiVo does, with
TiVoToGo which started rolling out last month. It works with RTV
because of the talent behind DVArchive, which is a 3rd party
application that exploits the weakness in RTV's sharing protocol.

TiVo does things RTV doesn't do, and vice-versa. Which one is better
for a given user depends on what they want to do.

But TiVo is also closing the gap with RTV - over the course of this
year they will be adding features to the new Home Media Engine SDK,
including exposing the DVR functionality. That should allow
reproducing the remote control features of DVArchive, and more.
Official support for moving video *to* a TiVo is also being added.
RTV's feature set has been stagnant for a long time, and the
advantages they've enjoyed are being whittled away over time.

-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/&gt; <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/&gt; Eris
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 8:11:54 AM

"You'dget a full paid-up subscription out of it, and a box that's like
the
Replay. Right? That's what you said."

NO, That's NOT what I said. I NEVER said the RTV is just like a TIVO. I
ONLY said it's _more_ TIVOlike meaning it's not the same as the 5000
series in that it's missing the two features that I (that's me and not
you) feel are very important and are a major distinction between the 2
units. No, I do not want a TIVO, nor do I want a 5500. I have six 5000
series here and two in my other home so I'm quite well stocked right now
thanks.
Answer this one question: If a 5040 and a 5540 were sitting next to each
other on the shelf at Costco and both were the same price, which would
buy?

From:Elmo P. Shagnasty
elmop@nastydesigns.com

> In article <TPzNd.8612$WD4.5899@twister.socal.rr.com>,
> "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:
>
>> I never said ANY of that.
>
> Any of what?
>
> Here's what you said:
>
> In article <uUbNd.8184$WD4.2041@twister.socal.rr.com>,
> "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:
>
>> I love the 7 RTV units I have but then I
>> have the older and more feature rich 5000 series rather than the
>> crippled and more TIVOlike 5500 series.
>
> More TIVOlike how?
>
> We went on to explain to you how the 5500 is nowhere near "more
> TIVOlike" as you claimed, and how the "crippling" is exactly 2
> features.
>
> I repeat: I'll give you a Tivo with full subscription in exchange for
> your Replay 5500 with no subscription. If the 5500 is more TIVOlike
> as you say, you shouldn't have any problem with that deal, right?
> You'd get a full paid-up subscription out of it, and a box that's
> like the Replay. Right? That's what you said.
>
> The fact is, the 5500 is NOT "more TIVOlike" any more than my
> grandmother is. It's 5000-like, with two missing features. Period.
> It still has everything the 5000 has with regard to scheduling shows,
> sharing shows inside your house, using DVArchive, using
> myreplaytv.com, etc.--a whole SLEW of things that are no more
> TIVOlike than is a VCR.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 1:48:30 PM

"John in Detroit" <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> At least it's working (not only did VCR-1 crash totaly, but the back up
> Maganavox also failed completly... 10 minutes after I got home with a
> Panasonic) I don't know what she's going to do when I plug in a Replay

I keep telling my wife, look, it's very simple. You turn the stereo to
video 1, put the tv on video 2 and then turn on the RTV. This was too much,
so I got a universal remote and programmed all the macros. Hit the RTV
button, everything comes on. Hit it again, and it all goes off.

So, when I fall asleep first, I generally wake up to find the TV on with a
blank screen, the bright blue RTV light staring at me, and the stereo set to
Tape or CD or something.

When we watch a DVD, she hands it to me and says, "here, why don't you set
up the movie." What, like I gotta thread the projector? Again, hit the DVD
button, and it all comes on.

Well, I figured it was just her, but when the DirecTV guy comes for my free
installation of local channels, he asks her "so, how do I get the satellite
menu on the TV," 'cuz he couldn't figure it out. She tells him she can't
even watch TV when I'm not home, so I get on the phone with with him, and I
go, look, it's simple, "you put the stereo on video 1 ...."

So, he finally gets a picture, and starts playing back Bill Maher, but I
finally got him to live TV. Unfortunately, he's stumped at this point, 'cuz
he can't get the setup menu on the screen (and I feel kind of bad for him,
because we had a high temp of 0 Degrees F that day, and my wife said he
froze his ass off adding the new dish), so I said, hey, I'll take care of it
when I get home.

The professional installer's problem? The battery in my seldom-used DirecTV
remote was dead (and they apparently never taught him about the buttons on
the receiver in satellite installation school).
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 2:05:20 PM

MegaZone wrote:

> Replay did not have these features 'all along' - networking was
> introduced with the 4000 series, it was not on the earlier units.
> TiVo's Series2 units shipped at about the same time as the 4000 and
> were designed for networking too. They didn't receive the software to
> enable it until later, but they have had show sharing (Multi-Room
> Viewing in TiVo speak) for a long time now. ReplayTV has never, and
> still does not, *support* sharing content with a PC. TiVo does, with
> TiVoToGo which started rolling out last month. It works with RTV
> because of the talent behind DVArchive, which is a 3rd party
> application that exploits the weakness in RTV's sharing protocol.

When I became interested in digital video recorders, which was at least
a couple of years ago (I can not give the exact date) Replay, then made
by Sonic Blue, had the features I'm talking about

You say TiFVo started shipping it's "TiVoToGO" last month? I've been
watching recorded shows on this laptop longer than that, and It has been
possible for a long time before that. It is true I can't tell y ou the
exact date
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 4:01:41 PM

wa8yxm@do.not.spam.arrl.net shaped the electrons to say:
>When I became interested in digital video recorders, which was at least
>a couple of years ago (I can not give the exact date) Replay, then made
>by Sonic Blue, had the features I'm talking about

ReplayTV introduced the 4000 in late 2001, IIRC - the same timeframe
the first TiVo Series2 shipped.

>You say TiFVo started shipping it's "TiVoToGO" last month? I've been
>watching recorded shows on this laptop longer than that, and It has been
>possible for a long time before that. It is true I can't tell y ou the

Yes, TiVoToGo shipped in January of this year. That's the official
support for moving shows to a PC. Now, if you want *unnofficial*
support, there have been 3rd party tools and such to do that since
before ReplayTV had it, you could do it with a Series1 TiVo with a
network card added, and the hacks came to Series2 not long after it
shipped, in 2002. DVArchive appeared in 2002, IIRC, a while after the
4000 shipped and people had time to sort out the streaming protocol.

-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/&gt; <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/&gt; Eris
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 9:05:37 PM

OK, I read through this Replay tv Vs. Tivo.
No one mentioned the one difference in hardware that I notice every
day. The fan is much louder on the 5000. I'm sure the fans are not
identical. It is much louder and runs all the time compared to the
5500 series.

>> At least it's working (not only did VCR-1 crash totaly, but the back up
>> Maganavox also failed completly... 10 minutes after I got home with a
>> Panasonic) I don't know what she's going to do when I plug in a Replay
>
>I keep telling my wife, look, it's very simple. You turn the stereo to
>video 1, put the tv on video 2 and then turn on the RTV. This was too much,
>so I got a universal remote and programmed all the macros. Hit the RTV
>button, everything comes on. Hit it again, and it all goes off.
>
>So, when I fall asleep first, I generally wake up to find the TV on with a
>blank screen, the bright blue RTV light staring at me, and the stereo set to
>Tape or CD or something.
>
>When we watch a DVD, she hands it to me and says, "here, why don't you set
>up the movie." What, like I gotta thread the projector? Again, hit the DVD
>button, and it all comes on.
>
>Well, I figured it was just her, but when the DirecTV guy comes for my free
>installation of local channels, he asks her "so, how do I get the satellite
>menu on the TV," 'cuz he couldn't figure it out. She tells him she can't
>even watch TV when I'm not home, so I get on the phone with with him, and I
>go, look, it's simple, "you put the stereo on video 1 ...."
>
>So, he finally gets a picture, and starts playing back Bill Maher, but I
>finally got him to live TV. Unfortunately, he's stumped at this point, 'cuz
>he can't get the setup menu on the screen (and I feel kind of bad for him,
>because we had a high temp of 0 Degrees F that day, and my wife said he
>froze his ass off adding the new dish), so I said, hey, I'll take care of it
>when I get home.
>
>The professional installer's problem? The battery in my seldom-used DirecTV
>remote was dead (and they apparently never taught him about the buttons on
>the receiver in satellite installation school).
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 12:16:33 AM

nospamcoming@me.com wrote:

> OK, I read through this Replay tv Vs. Tivo.
> No one mentioned the one difference in hardware that I notice every
> day. The fan is much louder on the 5000. I'm sure the fans are not
> identical. It is much louder and runs all the time compared to the
> 5500 series.

The 5500 employs the later revision of motherboard. There are several mb
revisions over the years. Later 5000s and all 5500s have a fan which is
thermostatically controlled. There is a thermistor on the mb where older
models have a jumper. Older models thus have the fan run all the time,
while later ones have a fan which starts after the system boots and
speeds up depending on temp. Since 5ks are not very hot unless enclosed,
the 5500 fan never really revs up. Some people add a resistor in series
with the older mb units, but it doesn't bother me and I have 3 5ks 10 ft
away.
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 1:32:39 AM

MegaZone wrote:

> Yes, TiVoToGo shipped in January of this year. That's the official
> support for moving shows to a PC. Now, if you want *unnofficial*
> support, there have been 3rd party tools and such to do that since
> before ReplayTV had it, you could do it with a Series1 TiVo with a
> network card added, and the hacks came to Series2 not long after it
> shipped, in 2002. DVArchive appeared in 2002, IIRC, a while after the
> 4000 shipped and people had time to sort out the streaming protocol.

Ah, You could do it.... WIth a warranty voiding screwdriver

I did not need a screwdriver and all warranty seals are intactc
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 4:29:48 AM

I have a total of eight 5000 units between two homes and the fan is
inaudible on all of them. Maybe you have a bad fan?

From:nospamcoming@me.com
nospamcoming@me.com

> OK, I read through this Replay tv Vs. Tivo.
> No one mentioned the one difference in hardware that I notice every
> day. The fan is much louder on the 5000. I'm sure the fans are not
> identical. It is much louder and runs all the time compared to the
> 5500 series.
>

>>> At least it's working (not only did VCR-1 crash totaly, but the
>>> back up Maganavox also failed completly... 10 minutes after I got
>>> home with a Panasonic) I don't know what she's going to do when I
>>> plug in a Replay
>>
>> I keep telling my wife, look, it's very simple. You turn the stereo
>> to video 1, put the tv on video 2 and then turn on the RTV. This
>> was too much, so I got a universal remote and programmed all the
>> macros. Hit the RTV button, everything comes on. Hit it again, and
>> it all goes off.
>>
>> So, when I fall asleep first, I generally wake up to find the TV on
>> with a blank screen, the bright blue RTV light staring at me, and
>> the stereo set to Tape or CD or something.
>>
>> When we watch a DVD, she hands it to me and says, "here, why don't
>> you set up the movie." What, like I gotta thread the projector?
>> Again, hit the DVD button, and it all comes on.
>>
>> Well, I figured it was just her, but when the DirecTV guy comes for
>> my free installation of local channels, he asks her "so, how do I
>> get the satellite menu on the TV," 'cuz he couldn't figure it out.
>> She tells him she can't even watch TV when I'm not home, so I get on
>> the phone with with him, and I go, look, it's simple, "you put the
>> stereo on video 1 ...."
>>
>> So, he finally gets a picture, and starts playing back Bill Maher,
>> but I finally got him to live TV. Unfortunately, he's stumped at
>> this point, 'cuz he can't get the setup menu on the screen (and I
>> feel kind of bad for him, because we had a high temp of 0 Degrees F
>> that day, and my wife said he froze his ass off adding the new
>> dish), so I said, hey, I'll take care of it when I get home.
>>
>> The professional installer's problem? The battery in my seldom-used
>> DirecTV remote was dead (and they apparently never taught him about
>> the buttons on the receiver in satellite installation school).
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 6:23:51 AM

wa8yxm@do.not.spam.arrl.net shaped the electrons to say:
>I did not need a screwdriver and all warranty seals are intactc

Like it matters - I believe both RTV and TiVo have 90 day warranty
periods.

-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/&gt; <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/&gt; Eris
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 12:48:12 PM

MegaZone wrote:
> wa8yxm@do.not.spam.arrl.net shaped the electrons to say:
>
>>I did not need a screwdriver and all warranty seals are intactc
>

> Like it matters - I believe both RTV and TiVo have 90 day warranty
> periods.

Perhaps in your house, However "You may have other rights which vary
from state to state" You should find out exactly what that statement
means in YOUR state. alas, I'm not a lawyer, and since telling you what
it means would be giving legal advice, I am thus prohibited from
explaining further (The only legal advice we were allowed to give back
when I worked for the police was "Call/Ask an attorney", or "Look it up"
I had one guy one day were he just insisted I give him legal
information, I had told him to call an attorney, I finally got to the
point where I said "Sir, if you were to ask me what time it is I'd tell
you to call an attorney, do you wish to continue?" and he got the idea

However, you should learn what your rights are, which vary from state to
state, where YOU live (They also vary from country to country
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 4:05:43 PM

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 21:16:33 -0500, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>nospamcoming@me.com wrote:
>>
>> OK, I read through this Replay tv Vs. Tivo.
>> No one mentioned the one difference in hardware that I notice every
>> day. The fan is much louder on the 5000. I'm sure the fans are not
>> identical. It is much louder and runs all the time compared to the
>> 5500 series.
>
>The 5500 employs the later revision of motherboard. There are several mb
>revisions over the years. Later 5000s and all 5500s have a fan which is
>thermostatically controlled. There is a thermistor on the mb where older
>models have a jumper. Older models thus have the fan run all the time,
>while later ones have a fan which starts after the system boots and
>speeds up depending on temp. Since 5ks are not very hot unless enclosed,
>the 5500 fan never really revs up. Some people add a resistor in series
>with the older mb units, but it doesn't bother me and I have 3 5ks 10 ft
>away.

A fan that turns on and off would be MORE disturbing than one that
runs constantly, particularly when in a quiet place such as a bedroom.
Controlling fan SPEED would still reduce noise, maybe that's what it's
doing.

BTW, I once spent a few nights with someone who keeps the AC fan
running all the time. The only time it ever woke me up was when it
stopped because of a power failure.

However, the soultion I always use is don't put the Replay in the
bedroom. You'd still need some remote control solution. I'm currently
using a RF remote (MX-800). Previously, I used the Xantech system that
uses the cables.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

February 9, 2005 9:42:17 PM

Mark Lloyd wrote:

> BTW, I once spent a few nights with someone who keeps the AC fan
> running all the time. The only time it ever woke me up was when it
> stopped because of a power failure.
>
> However, the soultion I always use is don't put the Replay in the
> bedroom. You'd still need some remote control solution. I'm currently
> using a RF remote (MX-800). Previously, I used the Xantech system that
> uses the cables.

I use the DVarchive system, it also uses cables (and a laptop computer
net to the bed)

Your observations about fans that fun full time is correct, any sound
that is constant, tends to be filtered by your brain during sleep and
you are not bothered by it. Note the phrase "Tends To" Some sounds are
either so loud, or have other "elements" which will insure you do hear them
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 9:42:18 PM

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 18:42:17 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>

>> BTW, I once spent a few nights with someone who keeps the AC fan
>> running all the time. The only time it ever woke me up was when it
>> stopped because of a power failure.
>>
>> However, the soultion I always use is don't put the Replay in the
>> bedroom. You'd still need some remote control solution. I'm currently
>> using a RF remote (MX-800). Previously, I used the Xantech system that
>> uses the cables.
>
>I use the DVarchive system, it also uses cables (and a laptop computer
>net to the bed)

Yes, DVArchive and a computer network is one way to solve the remote
control problem. It even works with multiple Replays. I don't always
want to have a computer running everywhere I want to be able to
control the Replay. A computer has fans too. I do have a computer in
my bedroom, but turn it off at night because of the noise.

>Your observations about fans that fun full time is correct, any sound
>that is constant, tends to be filtered by your brain during sleep and
>you are not bothered by it. Note the phrase "Tends To" Some sounds are
>either so loud, or have other "elements" which will insure you do hear them

The sound of a fan running steadily is one that should be easy to get
used to. A lot easier than one electric clock I knew of. It didn't
sound like ticking at all. It sounded like wheezing (getting louder
2-4 times a minute).

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

February 10, 2005 12:08:37 AM

Mark Lloyd wrote:

> Yes, DVArchive and a computer network is one way to solve the remote
> control problem. It even works with multiple Replays. I don't always
> want to have a computer running everywhere I want to be able to
> control the Replay. A computer has fans too. I do have a computer in
> my bedroom, but turn it off at night because of the noise.

The fan on this thinkpad is so quite I can not tell if it's running, I
have to use detectors to check for air flow. That's the only way I can
see tell if it's running.

What is needed is an even smaller version of DV-Archive's remote control
(Gerry are you watching) this would work with wi-fi/bluetooth equiped
hand held hardware of the "Palm Pilot" category (Alas, only selected
palms have bt/wi-fi ability, usually as an add-on)
!