Sign in with
Your question

6.6GB bandwith on ddr

Last response: in Memory
March 11, 2002 8:55:32 PM

how do you get that kinde of bandwith out of ddr memory? i saw some <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q1/020311/sis64..." target="_new"> this </A> on THG, but how do you get 5.4gb bandwith out of DDR333 dual? do i need a special mobo?

<b> There is no greater sin against oneself than the failure to believe in one's own worth. </b>

More about : 6gb bandwith ddr

March 11, 2002 10:14:02 PM

That's the theoretical limit of a dual-channel 64-bit (effective 128-bit) PC2700 solution.

The theoretical limit for an RDRAM solution with the same datapath width would be 12.8GB/s for PC800 and 16.6GB/s for PC1066.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!
March 12, 2002 12:25:36 AM

It's relatively sad they didn't increase the data paths... at such speed with such bandwidth, it'd beat DDR in long shot. See how they just don't want to make stuff better? It's all in the contract...

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!
Related resources
March 12, 2002 5:58:57 PM

I completely agree, Rambus appears to be dragging their feet, and I'm not sure why. They're going to drive themselves out of business.
Not that they had the best business sense to begin with.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
March 12, 2002 7:44:35 PM

Rambus has the advantage if they wanted to use it. Like the P4 having the advantage. It has high clock speed, Intel has the advantage of reinstating the lost units, thus at the current speeds of NW, you'd get the similar Athlon at them speeds!
If you'd like to argue that, go to the CPU forum in the topic NO THOROUGHBRED UNTIL MAY 02!

--
March 12, 2002 7:49:48 PM

Quote:
thus at the current speeds of NW, you'd get the similar Athlon at them speeds!

I don't think I understood what you meant by that. Can you explain more fully? I've been following the thread you mentioned, though not very closely.

March 12, 2002 11:26:02 PM

Actually Intel working with DDR 200 quad channel.DDR333 standart is still not out.Actual DDR 333 are base on DDR266 standart but memory maker give you warrenty that you module will work at 166 mghz.

DDR 333 have allready many trouble when move to dual channel there will be just more trouble that why will see MAYBE dual DDR 200 for Sync rate with P4 400 FSB and DDR266 for 533 FSB.

RDRAM is better for all config except maybe for GB sytemes.What we need is a optical FSB for use all the bandwith of RDRAM and yellowstone.That the sencond time that intel try to kill sdram//x80.Bolth offer max potencial but hard to sell why?.

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie
March 13, 2002 1:14:48 AM

What I meant is, take a P4 at any given speed, say 2.2GHZ.
Then since the clock speed is there now, it will stay that way, conserved. From that point, research IPC and add in the units. What do you get? A pumped up processor with high IPC and high speed, kinda like an AthlonXP at 2.2ghz!
If Intel pumps to 3GHZ, then uses Prescott for units restoring, the P4 will conserve at 3GHZ, thus whatever IPC is added will really kick ass. That is the major question of how AMD will be hit and how severe.

--
March 13, 2002 4:26:20 PM

That will have a big hit on power consuption and heat, though. Prices will also go up by a fair amount.

March 13, 2002 7:59:56 PM

They have to eventually, nuh?
Prescott is that anyway.

--
!