Sign in with
Your question

2 IP addresses

Last response: in Networking
March 7, 2012 10:49:06 PM

Hello,
I currently have 2 modems in my home in order to have 2 separate IP addresses for 2 computers. If I send the extra modem back to my ISP company and buy my own modem, will I still have 2 separate IP addresses?

More about : addresses

March 8, 2012 1:34:47 PM

Yes, but you can have 2 IPs even with one modem if you use a router. Although they won't be external ones. Odd that a second modem would even work when you already have one on the line. Their system admins must be sleeping or something.
m
l
March 15, 2012 12:42:32 AM

hang-the-9 said:
Yes, but you can have 2 IPs even with one modem if you use a router. Although they won't be external ones. Odd that a second modem would even work when you already have one on the line. Their system admins must be sleeping or something.

Thanks for the info. I do already have a router so I can use my laptop. Is there a way to conjure up an additional IP using this router? Not sure what you meant when you said "they won't be external ones". "They", meaning the IPs?
m
l
March 15, 2012 6:22:03 PM

The router will be able to assign your computers over 100 IPs, you should not have any issues connecting two.

Yes, the IPs won't be external ones, they will be in the 192.x.x.x range which will only be seen inside your network.
m
l
!