Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My replay is acting up today

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 10:03:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

The scheduled shows did not change cable box to the right channel, then when
i manually tried to change from 7 to 5 it ended up 555 on the cable box.
Then it wouldn't go back to 7 but i see the numbers changing on the cable
box so the ir blaster is sending signals. Sequence is 555, 0 , 555, 0, 555,
777 , 555.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions.

More about : replay acting today

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 12:01:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

So what is the new number that works? My replay originally had 4476.
This worked until today. I tried 0476 but that doesnt work either.
What is the "200 something" number that works?
February 9, 2005 12:39:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

"madison" <madisonxnospam@pacbell.net> wrote:

> The scheduled shows did not change cable box to the right channel,
> then when i manually tried to change from 7 to 5 it ended up 555 on
> the cable box. Then it wouldn't go back to 7 but i see the numbers
> changing on the cable box so the ir blaster is sending signals.
> Sequence is 555, 0 , 555, 0, 555, 777 , 555.
>
> Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions.

Yes. I just discovered that both of our Replays (both 5080) were doing
the same thing. A reboot didn't fix it. I made it right by resetting the
IRL Blaster code.

They tell you how to do it here:

http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/support/replaytv/docum...

I'd love to know WTF this is all about. It must have happened sometime
this morning. Both machines properly recorded things last night around
midnight (PST) and then one machine failed to do a 7 AM recording
properly because of this problem.

Very weird.

//
Related resources
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 1:03:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

"Ralph" <ralph@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
news:Xns95F78AFDC7461xxxxx45678@216.168.3.30...
> "madison" <madisonxnospam@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
>> The scheduled shows did not change cable box to the right channel,
>> then when i manually tried to change from 7 to 5 it ended up 555 on
>> the cable box. Then it wouldn't go back to 7 but i see the numbers
>> changing on the cable box so the ir blaster is sending signals.
>> Sequence is 555, 0 , 555, 0, 555, 777 , 555.
>>
>> Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions.
>
> Yes. I just discovered that both of our Replays (both 5080) were doing
> the same thing. A reboot didn't fix it. I made it right by resetting the
> IRL Blaster code.
>
> They tell you how to do it here:
>
> http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/support/replaytv/docum...
>
> I'd love to know WTF this is all about. It must have happened sometime
> this morning. Both machines properly recorded things last night around
> midnight (PST) and then one machine failed to do a 7 AM recording
> properly because of this problem.
>
> Very weird.
>


Thank you. They must have redone all the codes. Very weird indeed.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 1:03:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

> Thank you. They must have redone all the codes. Very weird indeed.
>
>
"They" didn't do anything. If you have Comcast, they are uploading new
firmware to their cable boxes in many areas. This requires a different
code in the Replay for blaster control. I believe most people use 0476.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 2:55:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

I found the code for my box. It was 7400. I have a DCT model and I
live in San Jose. 7400 seems to have fixed everything with the Replay.
Damn the new Firmware on the cable box is slow.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 4:04:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

carwashi@gmail.com wrote:
> So what is the new number that works? My replay originally had 4476.
> This worked until today. I tried 0476 but that doesnt work either.
> What is the "200 something" number that works?
>
Do a search on the Replay forum at avsforums.com. This is old news that
keeps becoming "new" as they push the upgrades to more cable boxes in
their system.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 6:32:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

"Tony D" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:Uo6dncX-u_QF8pTfRVn-rg@comcast.com...
>
>> Thank you. They must have redone all the codes. Very weird indeed.
> "They" didn't do anything. If you have Comcast, they are uploading new
> firmware to their cable boxes in many areas. This requires a different
> code in the Replay for blaster control. I believe most people use 0476.

OK I thought the new codes were coming from replay. The new number 200
something works. Yes it is Comcast.
February 9, 2005 8:03:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> "They" didn't do anything. If you have Comcast, they are uploading new
> firmware to their cable boxes in many areas. This requires a different
> code in the Replay for blaster control. I believe most people use
> 0476.

Ahh! Indeed, Comcast sent an automated phone call the day before
alerting to the update. Never occurred to me that they would be the
culprit, though. Seems odd that the blaster codes would change given
that the cable box remotes aren't changing what *they* send to the
boxes. I must be missing something here...

Anyway, Tx for the explanation.

//
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 9:45:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Ralph wrote:
> Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>
>>"They" didn't do anything. If you have Comcast, they are uploading new
>>firmware to their cable boxes in many areas. This requires a different
>>code in the Replay for blaster control. I believe most people use
>>0476.
>
>
> Ahh! Indeed, Comcast sent an automated phone call the day before
> alerting to the update. Never occurred to me that they would be the
> culprit, though. Seems odd that the blaster codes would change given
> that the cable box remotes aren't changing what *they* send to the
> boxes. I must be missing something here...
>
> Anyway, Tx for the explanation.
>
> //
>

One of the things that changes is the TIMING of the codes... Someone
said the blaster was sending 555-0-555-0-555 and the cable box was
seeing 555 It may be that the cable box needs to see 5-0-5 with the new
software

When pressing buttons on a hand held you would only send 5, and usually
wait for the echo before you press the zero
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 12:47:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

The same thing happened to me this weekend in Palo Alto, and Comcast
even left a phone message indicating something was changing. I
certainly hope they have a legitimate business reason for changing the
codes, and that the purpose is not just to screw Replay and Tivo
customers to convince us to switch to the new Comcast DVR. Instead,
the inconvenience they caused makes me want to switch to satellite.

The directions for fixing the problem for my Motorola unit (they seem
to involve "flushing a buffer" rather than just changing the code) are
at:
http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/support/replaytv/docum...
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 2:39:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

I live on the Stanford campus (same Comcast service as Palo Alto and
probably San Jose, both mentioned in this thread) and had the same
problem, with each digit being repeated so the channel was incorrect.
After wasting 2-3 hours thinking the problem was with the IR blaster
or RTV unit, I finally found this thread and changed the IR code to
7400 (without flushing the bufer as Dan Kohn's note suggested) and that
fixed it. I agree that junk like this pushes me toward switching from
Comcast to satellite. Too much inertia right now, but let this happen
one more time ...

Martin
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 5:04:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On 10 Feb 2005 11:39:16 -0800, hellman@stanford.edu wrote:

>I live on the Stanford campus (same Comcast service as Palo Alto and
>probably San Jose, both mentioned in this thread) and had the same
>problem, with each digit being repeated so the channel was incorrect.
>After wasting 2-3 hours thinking the problem was with the IR blaster
>or RTV unit, I finally found this thread and changed the IR code to
>7400 (without flushing the bufer as Dan Kohn's note suggested) and that
>fixed it. I agree that junk like this pushes me toward switching from
>Comcast to satellite. Too much inertia right now, but let this happen
>one more time ...
>
>Martin

And another reason for using satellite (as opposed to digital cable)
is that the service is ONE-WAY. That is, they (the provider) has no
way to monitor your viewing habits. Replay units control DirecTV
receivers fine through the serial port. This connection is one-way
also.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 2:36:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

hellman wrote:
> I live on the Stanford campus (same Comcast service as Palo Alto and
> probably San Jose, both mentioned in this thread) and had the same
> problem, with each digit being repeated so the channel was incorrect.
> After wasting 2-3 hours thinking the problem was with the IR blaster
> or RTV unit, I finally found this thread and changed the IR code to
> 7400 (without flushing the bufer as Dan Kohn's note suggested) and
that
> fixed it. I agree that junk like this pushes me toward switching from
> Comcast to satellite. Too much inertia right now, but let this happen
> one more time ...
>
> Martin

Woops. I did need to flush the buffer after all. Changing to code 7400
took care of the triple digit problem, but I was getting a menu of some
kind (music options) for the first two minutes of each show instead of
the video I wanted. (The audio was fine.) Hitting EXIT on the Motorola
STB remote got rid of the menu, but who wants to do that manually after
RTV changes channels each time? Flushing the buffer seems to have
solved the problem, using code 0476 as specified on Dan Kohn's link.
Hopefully this will be the last "fix."

Martin
!