Sign in with
Your question

Sudden slow download speeds

Last response: in Networking
March 7, 2012 10:53:03 PM

The issue I am having is that my download speeds have dropped significantly. According to speedtest.net I had been around the 14-15 Mbps. This week however I have dropped to around .5 Mbps. I have 3 computers hooked up to my network. I was able to rule out the router and the cable. When I tested the other computers they were all in the 14-15 Mbps range. I also connected my laptop to the same cable that the computer I'm having this issue on is connected to and it also had 14-15 Mbps.

My next step was to scan for viruses. Using AVG I did a full system scan and nothing came up. I followed that up with spybot search and destroy. Nothing out of the ordinary showed up but I cleaned them up anyways. I then restarted my computer and tried the speedtest again. Again it was around .5 Mbps. I also disabled my anti-virus and firewall and again no change. I do not have Malware bytes on this computer. Had issues installing it a while back due to a bad router (since been replaced) and never went back to reinstall it. Trying to get it now would just be painful with the slow downloads.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I'm half tempted to reformat my hard drives just to be as certain as I can be that it's not a software issue, but I'd like to exhaust other possibilities first.

Thanks.

PS. If it helps the OS I'm running is Windows 7 64-bit
March 12, 2012 8:50:02 PM

Thought I'd update this. I received a NIC card installed that and ran a test. Instantly saw a change. Speedtest now shows 20 Mbps download. My best guess is that the motherboard ethernet port is going bad.
m
l
!