Sign in with
Your question

Need help deciding on a Monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 2, 2013 2:27:09 PM

Hey everyone,

Currently I have a 24" Samsung HD LED Syncmaster px2370. Beautiful monitor for the gaming that I do.

I have an itch though to do something different. I either want to simply add a 2nd monitor just for using so I dont need to tab out of gaming and for other uses... or I want to possibly upgrade to something bigger/better.

I have been looking at the 120hz monitors for a while and also 3d as well as 27".
My question is that I have seen mixed reviews on using 120hz/3d and the right video cards. I have a 660ti card. The games I play are:
GW2, BF3, FC3 and Batman AC... sometimes the Witcher2. As you can see I like a variety of games but mostly I play GW2. I've never been a big fan of 3d, I mean it's nice, just not needed.

So, what does everyone think? Also, my budget really is the under to low 300 range for a monitor.

Here is the rest of my system specs:

Geforce 660ti 2gb
i7 950 @ 3.07ghz
12gb pc1600 ram
650 watt psu
soundblaster xfi hi fid
Asus Sabertooth MB

More about : deciding monitor

February 2, 2013 4:33:27 PM

120Hz and 3D is something that you wanna get when you have enough money to throw.
As your budget is only $300 You won't be able to buy both the monitor and the 3D vision kit ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... )in that budget.
Also for a monitor I reccomend that you go to a local shop and see the image quality yourself.
Make sure the monitor has
Atleast 60Hz refresh rate (which is enough according to me)
High Contrast ratio
Wide viewing angle
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
February 2, 2013 6:28:12 PM

Hello... your Video card is fully capable to run another 1920x1080 60 HZ monitor with great results... your $300 opens up plenty of options in sizes... try to keep your "Pixel Pitch" the same, as your Samsung, for the least noticeable viewing differences.
m
l
February 3, 2013 4:06:09 PM

Ironsounds said:
Hello... your Video card is fully capable to run another 1920x1080 60 HZ monitor with great results... your $300 opens up plenty of options in sizes... try to keep your "Pixel Pitch" the same, as your Samsung, for the least noticeable viewing differences.

Thanks for the information, and I agree. I ended up getting a 27" non 3d monitor. I just ordered a new AOC from Best Buy. It is an LED IPS. Great looking monitor and for only 269! Couldn't pass up that deal.
m
l
!