Need help about networking. Long message

Vulnuz

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
First off, I apologize for the super long message. I'm trying to be as detailed as I can.

I need to know how I can create my own network if that's possible. I really don't know what setup my dad has made, there's a very large black box in the garage, it looks like a super-sized modem, haha, he has his work router plugged into it.

Then in the house, he has another modem that's the normal sized ones in my brothers room that is directly hooked up to his xbox and is what gives the other computers and game consoles internet.

Everyone uses this same modem for their internet, however my dad has been downloading a bunch of %$#@ when he gets home and it knocks down everyone else's internet by a ton besides my brother's xbox.

Is it possible if I bought a router that I can just plug it up in my room how he plugged it up in my brothers and use that network for just my computer and xbox. I would like to put a WEP key so my dad can't hop on it and start downloading whatever he downloads.

My connection is so bad, I can't watch netflix and can barely get on my computer. Any help?

BTW all these modems look like they're cable modems. The one in the garage which I think is the main one has a small white internet cable plugged into it then it has a cable cord plugged into it, then there's like 20 ethernet plugs on the side. The one in my brothers room does not have the white cable plugged in, just the cable cord. It is a modem not a router, I have triple checked because I didn't know modems could give out wireless signal to the other devices in the house.