Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 2, 2013 8:13:54 PM

Hi I'm looking to upgrade my PC i currently have:
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G45
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 8gb RAM
GPU: Radeon HD6950 2GB

I run newer games such as BF3/Crysis 3 on ultra but I only get about 25-30fps. When I put AA max on it drops dramatically down to about 15fps. I want to be able to run everything on ultra at about 60fps any advice?

1) Is it all about the GPU or is there other things that i could change to increase FPS in games.
2) Will there be a drastic increase in fps performance if I upgraded to the new HD8XXX Series when they come out?

More about : upgrading

February 2, 2013 9:42:26 PM

new motherboard, new processor, new gpu
m
l
February 2, 2013 9:53:05 PM

Arwondark said:

1) Is it all about the GPU or is there other things that i could change to increase FPS in games.
2) Will there be a drastic increase in fps performance if I upgraded to the new HD8XXX Series when they come out?

1) mostly the gpu, but overclocking the cpu will probably be needed as well.
2) how are you going to ask a question about something that doesnt even exist right now.
m
l
Related resources
February 2, 2013 11:08:35 PM

Arwondark said:

I run newer games such as BF3/Crysis 3 on ultra but I only get about 25-30fps. When I put AA max on it drops dramatically down to about 15fps. I want to be able to run everything on ultra at about 60fps any advice?

Just upgrade the graphics card if you need that detail. No one knows what the series 8000 will bring. I would just wait and see.
m
l
February 3, 2013 12:48:26 AM

Arwondark said:

The Radeon 6950 is still a badass card.

I'd get a new processor, but then again, I'm not big on AMD processors, but that would be the bottleneck if there was one.
m
l
February 3, 2013 11:05:24 AM

The HD6950 is actually still good for BF3 see here:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2011/11/10/battlefield...
here for comparison:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+HD...
and here for hierarchy chart:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

so, yes, actually the cpu needs an upgrade. Getting an FX-8350 would be good enough(around $200) if you dont want to get a new mobo. But looking at the scores again, i guess a graphics card upgrade would be needed if you want to continue gaming at ultra in 1080p. Probably wait for hd8000 series or get an HD 7870.
m
l
!