Speakers - analog/digital...

DISTURBED

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
I currently have ATP5 speakers and was wondering if there is a big difference in sound quality when using the digital input compared with the analog. (I'm thinking of getting a GTXP)

-Thanks for your help

FatBurger

Illustrious
Depends on lots of factors. I doubt you see an improvement, as the wires to individual speakers are usually the longest, and those are analog.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
Nah, if the DACs on your sound card and all your wiring are high quality, analog sounds as good as digital. In fact, if the DACs on your sound card are better than the DACs in your speaker system (when using the digital input), the analog setup will beat out the digital!

That being said, I would definitely go with a sound card with 18-bit or 24-bit DACs. I think the Live! had 16-bit DACs and they are noticeably inferior to the Audigy. What does the GTXP have, 18-bit?

Ritesh

FatBurger

Illustrious
In fact, if the DACs on your sound card are better than the DACs in your speaker system (when using the digital input), the analog setup will beat out the digital!

Good point, I hadn't thought about it in that way.

16-bit or 24-bit isn't the only qualifier in DAC sound quality. The Audigy is inferior in quality to other, better 24-bit DAC DSPs.

The GTXP has an 18-bit ADC and a 20-bit DAC.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I can't say for sure, because I don't have it but I've never heard good reviews of USB-based sound.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor