Speaker Kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Does anyone here have any comments or criticisms on any of the current crop
of speaker kits, especially those designed by Joe D'Appolito?

Any measured performance comparisons to finished speakers?

There has been a lively discussion on www.diyaudio.com on the Thor's.

"Michael McKelvy" <deskst49@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone here have any comments or criticisms on any of the current
crop
> of speaker kits, especially those designed by Joe D'Appolito?
>
> Any measured performance comparisons to finished speakers?

I have builtt the audax 5.1 HT setup and its great. Joe D'Appolito is
a world renouned designer with alot of experience behind his belt !!!!

I would recomend one of his desings or if your into something with less
value consider dan wiggings from adire audio

Michael McKelvy wrote:
> Does anyone here have any comments or criticisms on any of the current crop
> of speaker kits, especially those designed by Joe D'Appolito?
>
> Any measured performance comparisons to finished speakers?

I'm using a pair of Fluance speakers for mains, appear to be a D'appolito
design. They sound magnificent, cost less than I could build them for, look
great. Check them out on the web.

"richyrich212" <richyrich212@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> I have builtt the audax 5.1 HT setup and its great. Joe D'Appolito is
> a world renouned designer with alot of experience behind his belt !!!!

Right, you could not go wrong with such a kit. But . . .

Joe D'Appolito's contribution to loudspeaker theory stands for itself and is
worthy of the respect he commands. However, the merits of his theoretical
published work, or anyone's of equal magnitude, does not automatically
qualify him or anyone as a designer in the highest category. You cannot
theorize the optimum loudspeaker package because even the most technically
knowledgable have to make choices as to which compromises they will accept
or reject. Designing a speaker is the outcome of subjective juggling of
paradoxical technical compromises: a Rubic's cube that can't be solved. So
which is "more" solved is often just as much a matter of taste and
superstition as the theoretical prowess governing the decision process. A
creative mind is also required.

> I would recomend one of his desings or if your into something with less
> value consider dan wiggings from adire audio

I've heard a few of the D'Appolito / Audax designs and they are certainly
good, but there is much more out there that might easily sound better in the
same budget. I have not heard the current crop however. The Audax designs
are generally also "modern looking" which means the particular slim look etc
which means they are designed to utilize currently available Audax drivers
and to look a certain popular way as much as sound good. If you are open to
DIY building a sort of wacky looking Wilson Audio type of cabinet, chances
are you can get more fidelity for your buck.

> Michael McKelvy wrote:
> > Does anyone here have any comments or criticisms on any of the current
crop
> > of speaker kits, especially those designed by Joe D'Appolito?
> >
> > Any measured performance comparisons to finished speakers?

Also if all the heated debates over measured data in these forums have
demonstrated anything, it is that it is useless and potentially deceiving to
determine "which SPL graph sounds best". Measuring tools are necessary to
design a good speaker. But once the frequency response is smooth, distortion
acceptable, etc, only your ears can tell you which is better for you,
because almost all loudspeakers have good looking data, but this won't tell
you how they compare to each other.