Dell 1720 Laser Printer won't install

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickerhed

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
Hello,

wondering if you can help me. I have a Dell 1720 laser printer that says it is compatible with windows 7 64 bit. Windows update downloads the driver but says there was a problem during installation. I've uninstalled the printer and tried several times to install it, but I get stuck at the same spot. I downloaded the drivers on the dell website and have the same problem, it just will not install. Can anyone help?

stickerhed

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

Originally, in Windows Update, it downloads the driver files and then starts to install and stops and says:

Device driver software was not successfully installed

Please consult with your device manufacturer for assistance getting this device installed

DellDell Laser Printer 1720

If I try to use the downloaded driver it says:

Printer driver was not installed. Operations could not be completed (error 0x000000002)

Some people have had success with the stopping and starting the print spooler service:
Ive had the same issue. win7-64bit trying to connect to printer on another win7-64bit pc.

'windows cannot connect to printer'
'error code 0x00000002'

what worked for me:
right click computer, select manage
click 'services and applications', then click 'services'
scroll down to 'print spooler', right click and select 'properties'
click 'STOP' the service, then click 'START' service.

start the 'add printer' wizard and it was working, yay!

stickerhed

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
Thanks for all the help but it is still not working. I successfully installed it on another windows 7 computer this morning in about 10 sec. So something must have happened during the installation on the first machine. It needs to be on the first machine. It is a new computer and Windows 7 had not done all of the updates, so I think if I can delete all traces of this printer and start over it will work, I just don't know how to do that. Can anyone help me with that?

You could print-out a Windows Print Test page on the other computer and rename the files that you it uses that look like they belong to HP.
Then search for any HP folders on your PC that look like they were installed by the printer setup program.

One thing to try before this, is to try to manually add the printer in Control Panel Devices and Printers.

Dell-LornaM

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Hi, my name is Lorna and I work for Dell. If you still need assistance, please contact @DellCares via Twitter, or on Facebook at http://apps.facebook.com/dellfeedback/. We are happy to help with any Dell technical or customer service related questions or concerns. Thanks! @LornaAtDell

Status
Not open for further replies.