Nvlddmkm.sys BSOD, is there anything I missed?

Altrus

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Over the past two days I've been receiving the message anytime I try to play a game; I've been playing League of Legends none stop lately and do most gaming on my desktop, but last night I was using my laptop and about every other time I tried to open a game I started receiving a:

nvlddmkm.sys ----x116-----------(long line of memory locations)---- DateStamp (Hex number)

Well in the middle of one of the games I managed to actually play I started to get some screen tearing and then another BSOD and ever since that instance I get the screen every time I open a game.

I've tried:
Updating Video Drivers(Multiple newer versions)
Updating DirectX and C++ framework
Checked my system time in BIOS to make sure it wasn't messed up
Extracting a new nvlddmkm.sys from nvlddmkm.sy_ and replacing the current one
Uninstalling video drivers completely; then using DriverFusion to remove everything NVIDIA and reinstall.

It seems my comp also goes to the same blue screen if I disable the Intel graphics device in manager.

Any ideas on what else I can try short of an OS reinstall or admitting that my graphics card is probably shot and dead.

Specs:
Windows 7 64bit
Geforce 560M 310.90(tried all 310 series and some random eariler series drivers)
4Gb ddr2
i5-2410 processor 2.30 ghz

Fulgurant

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012

I hate to say it, but what you describe could easily mean that your video card is in the midst of its death throes. That's exactly how my last laptop's GPU died.

The main problem with laptop GPUs appears to be heat -- not just in an absolute sense (that is, direct and obvious over-heating), but in a relative sense: the constant transition between cool temps and hot temps expands and contracts the PCB (printed circuit board), until finally it gives out.

In any case, the only thing I can think to suggest is that you clean the dust from your chassis as best as you can, and then note what your temperatures are under load. Try to keep the laptop elevated by an inch or so (and/or use a laptop cooling pad). It's possible you're just overheating; if so, then reducing your temps might be enough to save the GPU.

This site is an excellent resource if you wish to study up on your model's particular quirks; it might even have a cleaning guide specific to your laptop. And if all else fails, you might try the infamous baking trick. ;)