Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows drive full but can't find any files on the drive?????

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
March 21, 2012 7:35:43 PM

He guys, hope all is well,

Recently my wife caught a virus on her computer (HP touchsmart windows 7 home premium). Your typical virus program that sends hundreds of pop up screens and says click this for full removal, blah blah blah. Anyways I used malwarebytes to see if the program could be removed, malwarebytes found 5 problems and I removed them. Afterward I noticed that there were no icons on the screen, I tried to bring up task manager and the computer rebooted. once the computer rebooted, there was a black screen with "no operating system found".

I tried the "repair your computer" option on the Windows 7 disk, but it was not able to repair the problem automatically, I also tried some manual command scan prompts that I found on the net. None of this has worked so far.

I figured that I would take the hdd out of her computer and dock it to another computer. The hard drive connected fine, but when I tried to open it there was nothing in there. I tried to make sure that all files were not hidden (they weren't). Funny thing is when I click on properties for the drive it shows that the drive is 2/3rds full but I can't see any files or information when I try to search the drive. I also just tried copying the hard drive to another harddrive and it was copying files but once I opened the new location, it was still empty (even thought the folder said in properties 84 gigs).

Is there something that I am missing, I would like to retrieve all of her documents, pictures etc. then I could reformat that drive and re-install windows if I can not get it to boot back up correctly.

Any ideas. Thanks
a b $ Windows 7
March 21, 2012 8:32:00 PM

Sounds to me like you don't have permissions to see the files on the drive. I would boot up to a dos prompt and check the attributes of the drive and files. I bet the virus hid the files well.
m
0
l
March 21, 2012 8:45:51 PM

I hate when that happens. Best off backing up what you need and reinstalling Windows. Trying to get all your files unhidden and accessible is a real PITA.

If you have a 2nd PC, it may be easiest to connect that as a 2nd drive and access what you need.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 21, 2012 9:15:52 PM

SinisterSalad said:
I hate when that happens. Best off backing up what you need and reinstalling Windows. Trying to get all your files unhidden and accessible is a real PITA.

If you have a 2nd PC, it may be easiest to connect that as a 2nd drive and access what you need.


Thats the weird thing, I did try to connect to another PC and once I opened the drive there were no folders or anything else, but when I went into properties for that drive it showed that the drive was halfway used even though I could not find any files.
m
0
l
March 21, 2012 9:21:06 PM

ahnilated said:
Sounds to me like you don't have permissions to see the files on the drive. I would boot up to a dos prompt and check the attributes of the drive and files. I bet the virus hid the files well.


don't remember that much stuff in dos. I was able to pull up a dos screen through the windows disk. C:D ir pulled up no files however when I got to the windows file (C://cd windows/dir I was able to pull up a directory for a lot of the systems files. Not really sure what to do with this info though????

m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 22, 2012 1:53:23 PM

bigrob said:
don't remember that much stuff in dos. I was able to pull up a dos screen through the windows disk. C:D ir pulled up no files however when I got to the windows file (C://cd windows/dir I was able to pull up a directory for a lot of the systems files. Not really sure what to do with this info though????


C:\Users\hid my name\attrib /?
Displays or changes file attributes.

ATTRIB [+R | -R] [+A | -A ] [+S | -S] [+H | -H] [+I | -I]
[drive:][path][filename] [/S [/D] [/L]]

+ Sets an attribute.
- Clears an attribute.
R Read-only file attribute.
A Archive file attribute.
S System file attribute.
H Hidden file attribute.
I Not content indexed file attribute.
[drive:][path][filename]
Specifies a file or files for attrib to process.
/S Processes matching files in the current folder
and all subfolders.
/D Processes folders as well.
/L Work on the attributes of the Symbolic Link versus
the target of the Symbolic Link

You want to check what the file attributes are. If they are hidden or something like that you can't find them.
m
0
l
!