Bandwidth Priority

MegamanEXE

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Hi!
The thing is I want to play Call of Duty 4 and Black Ops on my ISPs servers, I'm on a 1 Mbps connection. There are 2 desktops and 2 laptops in the house. 1 desktop is not used at all, so there is 1 desktop and 2 laptops. It seems that the laptops have a higher priority than my PC. When both of the laptops are off, my game works fine 99% of the time. But AS SOON as the Dell laptop turns on, my ping IMMEDIATELY goes 999 (or maybe 1500+) even if my sis doesn't even open the browser.

If we're both watching a video on Youtube, the laptop gets higher priority and mine is slower. The 2 laptops are connected wirelessly and my PC is connected with a wire.

And why do I ask about the priority? Because EVERY time I leave the server and join it again, the game works smooth as a button with 80-95 ping and then the ping problem occurs. I leave the game and join it again immediately, the game works smooth for 2 minutes and then again 999 ping.

It seems like first I'm given higher priority for a while and then that is passed to the other PCs. I use a TP-link WR941nd wireless router (DHCP disabled and is only used as a wireless switch; no routing) and the modem is ZTE ZXDSL831II provided by my ISP, so there is no QoS (Quality of Service).

My brother and sister can withstand delays in their webpages or videos but you can't really delay an online game right? Every second counts.

So how do I do it? Thanks in advance for any help. :)

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
It might be worthwhile to see what happens when both (Or one) of the laptops are hardwired into your router.

Your ISP doesnt really handle individual flow of information, that's up to your router. I would make sure that the firmware is updated and if there is a difference in speeds when the laptops are wired.

Also I hate to say it but 1Mbps is a bit on the slow side, an upgrade in speeds might be the most beneficial thing you can do.