Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My PNY gtx 670 reference cooler is loud, what's the solution?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 3, 2013 2:05:49 AM

my PNY gtx 670 reference cooler is loud. I know the one of the way to make it quiet it installing the aftermarket cooler, like arctic mono plus. But will doing so void the life time warranty with PNY? Is there any other alternative? Thank you so much
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2013 2:09:49 AM

Hey,

Yes, by installing an aftermarket cooler you will likely void the warranty. What are your temperatures? If they are acceptable you could set up a custom fan profile that would lower the fan speeds according to the temperature. So the card would be less loud, but at the cost of higher temperatures. Also how is your case airflow?

Hope this helps!
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
February 3, 2013 2:43:25 AM

A reference cooler on Merritt is going to be more loud then a aftermarket cooler. If you don't mind breaking the warranty you can give it a go with a aftermarket cooler. How long ago did you purchase the card.
m
l
Related resources
February 3, 2013 3:24:36 PM

fil1p said:
Hey,

Yes, by installing an aftermarket cooler you will likely void the warranty. What are your temperatures? If they are acceptable you could set up a custom fan profile that would lower the fan speeds according to the temperature. So the card would be less loud, but at the cost of higher temperatures. Also how is your case airflow?

Hope this helps!

its 86 C heavyload with fan at 60%. and 34C at ideal with fan at 30%. Case air flow is terrible but scine its the mid-tower, i cant do nothing else ...
m
l
February 3, 2013 3:25:25 PM

bigshootr8 said:
A reference cooler on Merritt is going to be more loud then a aftermarket cooler. If you don't mind breaking the warranty you can give it a go with a aftermarket cooler. How long ago did you purchase the card.

I purchase the card 1 week ago. So if the car every gone wrong, I'm screwed?
m
l
February 3, 2013 3:30:26 PM

That's what you get for going cheap. I was about to get that card but then I read about the horrible coil noise.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2013 3:32:10 PM

86C is pretty hot, so lowering the fan speed is not really an option. You should try improving your case airflow.
m
l
February 3, 2013 7:18:28 PM

Does any one know is there anyway to install the after market cooler without voiding your warranty???
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2013 7:25:30 PM

There isn't really a way, as you would have to remove the current cooler and that would already void the warranty. Then you would have to reapply thermal paste on the GPU when installing the new cooler.
m
l

Best solution

a c 79 U Graphics card
February 3, 2013 8:53:40 PM

+1 to bigshootas recommandation, if u cant return it, downloading

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm and turning down the fanspeed.

dont bring it down 30% tho or the card will be too hot.

also u might wanna check out the bios fix.

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/125468/PNY.GTX670.20...

doublecheck to makeshur its ur card, but might fix the issue. i knew a few 670s had lousy noise problems.

February 12, 2013 11:01:44 PM

Best answer selected by kkid1412.
m
l
January 6, 2014 4:25:50 PM

pny doesent have a lifetime warrenty it is only 1 year so i don't think you have to worry about the warrenty being void for long
m
l
!