Sign in with
Your question

Mac id locking for wired network

Last response: in Networking
March 8, 2012 1:04:52 PM

i have d-link N300 adsl2+ router, one wired connection give to another room for my friend, if he went to duty another guy using the net, how can i lock the wired connection only for my friend ? it's possible to lock a wired connection for one machine...? sometimes that machine off...! and my other 2 connections also
March 8, 2012 1:33:09 PM

Just unplug the cord from the router. Place the router in a locked cabinet with airflow. I have not seen an option to block by ip or mac on ethernet on non-enterprise routers.
March 8, 2012 3:04:54 PM

Hrmmm... my d-link dgl-4100 is over 3 years old and it has MAC address filtering. If your router supports it, that would be the way to go.
Related resources
March 8, 2012 3:06:56 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Hrmmm... my d-link dgl-4100 is over 3 years old and it has MAC address filtering. If your router supports it, that would be the way to go.

Is that for wired or wireless? Or both?
March 8, 2012 3:12:29 PM

hang-the-9 said:

The dgl-4100 is wired only. The dgl-4500 is the exact same model but with wireless. It also supports MAC filtering though I'm not sure if it applies to wired or wireless. The MAC filtering page looks the same as my dgl-4100 so I assume it applies to all connections.

Edit: found a screen shot. Scroll down to "Advanced - MAC filtering". It's in the left column.

http://www.pcwintech.com/screenshots-d-link-dgl-4100-d-...
March 9, 2012 3:49:08 AM

hang-the-9 said:

wireless MAC filtering working, i want only for wired connection, not possible unplug the cord and Place the router in a locked cabine,my room all time locked. The connection goes to another room and my friend's room mate is using without our permission, please explain how to block
March 9, 2012 11:00:30 AM

If you don't have MAC filtering or IP filtering on the wired side, then you have no options other than disconnecting the wire going to your friends room.
March 9, 2012 1:05:04 PM

kishore4pk said:
wireless MAC filtering working, i want only for wired connection, not possible unplug the cord and Place the router in a locked cabine,my room all time locked. The connection goes to another room and my friend's room mate is using without our permission, please explain how to block

Setup a password on the computer. If the router does not have an option to block by MAC or IP. Or set up a time that it can be used and just block the traffic though it that way.
!