MSI GF3 Video In (VIVO) Question

G

I recently switched back to Windows 98se from Windows XP.

I have my palm corder connected to the Video In of my MSI GF3. I was using the setup for video conferencing and allot of other stuff.. unfortunately since i switched back to win98se, Although the Video In does work well with Caoturing software, Netmeeting and MSN do not detect any capture/ video hardware... any one got any ideas how i can fix this? here are some details of my system:

Athlon 1400 on ASUS A7V133
MSI GeForce 3 VIVO
Creative Vibra PCI 128 sound
WINDOWS 98SE
VIA 4-in-1 4.37 drivers
Nvidia detonators 27.42
NVidia WDM 1.08 from Nvidia.com
Directx 8.1

Please help out thanx

http://sysopt.com/cgi-bin/overc/readfull.cgi?record=11214"]

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
This may sound crazy, but I had a similar problem until I realized that the video driver did not contain the capture driver. Once I carefully browsed the driver CD and saw that the capture driver was supposed to be installed separately... well you get the idea. Check capture driver IS installed.

Slava

G

Capture driver is installed the WDM drivers that i mentioned are the nvidia capture drivers... without it i wouldn't be able to catch anything even on the other softwares like the Wincoder etc.

It just doesn't work with MS/Windows components like Net Meeting or MSN. Multimedia in control panel dpesn't show any capture devices connected even though the capture softwares from the MSI cd are still able to function fine...

any ideas\?

http://sysopt.com/cgi-bin/overc/readfull.cgi?record=11214"]

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
There are two things that come to mind:

1. Go to Control panel => Add/Remove Programs => Windows Setup and install Web TV for Windows. This may install files needed by other Microsoft applications to see capture devices.

2. If #1 fails get a copy of TweakUI for Windows95. (It does not exist for Win98 but 95% of its features work just fine with Win98SE. The 5% that don’t work simply do nothing, they are harmless). TweakUI is available from Microsoft site. Once TweakUI is installed, find and execute the "Repair system files" function. This will restore ALL Microsoft system files which may have been inappropriately overwritten by some software/drivers you installed (NOTE: all default system backup directories in Windows directory must be intact for this to work. If you ever deleted them to save space - you will have to reinstall Windows.)

... between formal education and street smarts always choose the latter because wisdom is not a function of the sum of knowledge but rather how well you can apply the knowledge you possess ...