Sign in with
Your question

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

Last response: in Windows 7
March 21, 2012 8:12:21 PM

Hello.
For a couple of days ago I tried to start my desktop computer, but when it started it said: ” DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER”.

Well, it all started as I bought an eyefinity set-up. I bought three monitors and a ATI HD6970 card. Before this I had a HD4890. With the 4890 my computer went really smooth and fast, but when I changed to 6970 (even though I only used one screen) it became a lot slower, more artifacts started to appear on the screen and my system began to crash a lot more while playing games. When I installed the 6970 I removed the previous drivers and installed with the disk that came with the card. I have also installed the newest drivers from their website.
One day my computer crashed, and on start up this message came on:“DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER”. I’ve tried to read around and reset my settings in BIOS but nothing helped. I removed my hdd’s but nothing happened. I’ve tried to put in the Win7 CD I own and press upgrade/repair (to not lose all the info on the disk), but it wouldn’t allow me. I don’t want to reinstall win7, as I lose a lot of files I don’t wanna lose.

What shall I do? Is there any way to easily solve this problem?
Ps. I’m not very good with bios-settings and so on, so please make it step by step!

My specs are:
Core2Duo e8500
4gb ram
Intel p5nD board
Samsung Spinpoint HDD
Sapphire ATI HD6970

Axel from Norway.

More about : disk boot failure insert sytem disk press enter

March 21, 2012 8:30:03 PM

Silly question considering it's 2012 and all, but do you happen to have a floppy drive in the system and a floppy disk in it? If so, eject it and reboot. Beyond that, check your hard drive cable(s) and make sure they and the power connections are seated properly. You could also boot from a boot CD like Hiren's or Ultimate Boot CD and run diagnostics to make sure your hard drive is OK.
m
l
March 21, 2012 8:32:32 PM

extremepcs said:
Silly question considering it's 2012 and all, but do you happen to have a floppy drive in the system and a floppy disk in it? If so, eject it and reboot. Beyond that, check your hard drive cable(s) and make sure they and the power connections are seated properly. You could also boot from a boot CD like Hiren's or Ultimate Boot CD and run diagnostics to make sure your hard drive is OK.

I do not have a Floppy, and I've checked all my HDD cables (I removed them and put them back in)
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
March 21, 2012 8:54:33 PM

HDD cables are the least of your worry. Have you checked the HDD itself?
It sounds as if the hard disk is either about to fail or possibly a seriously compromised Windows 7 installation.
You're first job of course, is to back up all those files you don't want to lose.

Hiren's BootCD that extremepcs suggested has the HDD diagnostic tools to check the health of the drive itself.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 21, 2012 9:16:16 PM

Boot order in BIOS?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 21, 2012 9:46:32 PM

Hi :) 

Totally agree with WR2....TEST your hard drive in DOS....HIRENS CD etc...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
March 21, 2012 9:59:22 PM

So you guys are saying if I use Hirens CD I get to access all my files, so I can back up? I am willing to buy a new HDD and reinstall windows, but I don't wanna loose all my files.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 21, 2012 10:02:01 PM

Hirens does have File Manager type programs that would let you copy files off to a USB thumb drive or external hard drive if you have one.

That's assuming the HDD is running and the file system hasn't been trashed, of course
m
l
March 21, 2012 10:33:52 PM

Ok, thank you. I'll try it out tomorrow. I'll let you know how it went.
m
l
March 27, 2012 9:54:06 PM

Hey. Sorry for such a late answer. I was a director for a norwegian commercial, and it's been busy days, and I haven't been at home at all, untill today. I tried and tried and finally I managed to get my bios to boot my USB, and it booted up perfectly. I am now working with copying all the files to my external HDD and then I gonna reinstall win7 and make everything perfect again.

Quick question. I have three HDD's. Do I need to disconnect every one except C, so they don't get erased, or is it not going to happen?

2nd: What caused all the chaos was the new gpu and eyefinity. I think the drivers was bad, as I got artifacts on the screen and internetbrowser, even with just one screen. What do you think about that situation? Some tips?

:) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 28, 2012 9:41:03 PM

Quote:
Quick question. I have three HDD's. Do I need to disconnect every one except C, so they don't get erased, or is it not going to happen?

No, you shouldn't have to, as long as you are reinstalling the OS to the same drive, with no Windows version on any of the other drives.
m
l
March 28, 2012 10:06:30 PM

Thank you so much for all your help everybody! It's fixed and the machine is faster than ever! Wooho, now I can use Eyefinity smooth.

What I did was to use Hirens CD and boot it via a USB drive. Then I backed up all my important files, and shut the computer down. Tried to start without a USB and I got the same error message again.

I then reinstalled Win7 via the DVD and now I have a clean HDD and a fast machine!

Again, thank you very much!
m
l
March 29, 2012 7:32:54 AM

Repair your MBR::

Boot From the Windows Install Disc
The first thing you’ll need to do is boot off the install disc, and then click through until you see the “Repair your computer” link in the lower left-hand corner.
You’ll need to choose the correct installation of Windows and then click the Next button.
And then you’ll get to the System Recovery Options screen, where you can get to the Command Prompt.

Repairing the Master Boot Record
If you want to restore the master boot record, you can simply type in the following command:

bootrec /fixmbr

You can also write a new boot sector onto the system partition with this command (which is often more useful):

bootrec /fixboot

And of course, if you just use bootrec /? you’ll be able to see all the options.
m
l
!