OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name MTROMBLEY-PC
System Manufacturer Alienware
System Model Aurora
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Alienware A11, 7/30/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume4
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name Mtrombley-PC\Mtrombley
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 5.99 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.53 GB
Total Virtual Memory 12.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 9.07 GB
Page File Space 5.99 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

When I play music or WoW I get these lag spikes. My latency and fps never move, but the game will get choppy and any sound will be distorted for a few secs. I tried changing network settings etc. Not sure what to do.

Thanks

Solution
While it could be a provider issue, I would optimize my router for those two uses by using port forward/triggering, and if you have low priority services enable QoS and set those two to high and other stuff at normal except full time services like torrents at low.

Hablin

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

Netgear N600 Dual Band Wireless Router
Modem is one I got from Time Warner Cable
My computer and my mothers are wired in

Not sure if its shared network

RealBeast

Titan
Check in the router configuration pages (192.168.1.1 user/PW = password/password) and make sure that QoS --quality of service-- is disabled, also check for a new firmware update, which you can do in the configuration automatically.

If that doesn't do it, try changing your cable to the one on your Mom's computer to insure that it isn't your cable. Also try using a different LAN port on the router.

Hablin

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

QoS is disabled. The cord works fines and in different ports, I think. Its hard to tell cause the spikes come and go, and I am not sure when or how to cause them. All I know is that my IE runs fine, Ventrilo runs fine, but when I listen to Pandora or play World of Warcraft or even run both at the same time I get these stutters in both graphics and sound.

RealBeast

Titan
While it could be a provider issue, I would optimize my router for those two uses by using port forward/triggering, and if you have low priority services enable QoS and set those two to high and other stuff at normal except full time services like torrents at low.

Solution

Hablin

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

Thanks for the help. I will give those settings a try tonight when I will be online playing WoW