Sign in with
Your question

GTX 560 vs 660...Could Price/Performance be on the 560's side?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 3, 2013 2:52:12 PM

I seriously need to upgrade from my old GT 430 and I was looking at the GTX 660 recently. It seems like a great card for $220, but after reading reviews and looking deeper into it, the card seems to be unbalanced and overpriced at the moment. I mean, I know it can run most games on high/ultra settings, but I really don't do that much gaming to be honest. The only games I really play are Flight Simulator X, Call of Duty: World at War, a little bit of Black Ops, and sometimes some older combat flight sims. I also do some 3D modeling and I've heard the Kepler cards' memory bus really holds it back. So my question is, is it a better idea to go ahead with the 660 for $220, or buy a 560 for $140 and wait for the next generation from Nvidia? I'm saying this because the 560's price has been cut and it seems to be a really good value at that price range, and I don't think I really need all the power of the 660 right now. My other option would be to go with a newer Raden card like a 7850 and then wait for the Geforce 700 series. What do you think would be my best option here? I'd like my budget to stay under $200 if possible.

I know that ANYTHING will give me improvement over what I have now, but is it worth spending $80 more for the newer generation of cards?

More about : gtx 560 660 price performance 560 side

a c 119 U Graphics card
February 3, 2013 4:05:30 PM

ozzman1997 said:
I seriously need to upgrade from my old GT 430 and I was looking at the GTX 660 recently. It seems like a great card for $220, but after reading reviews and looking deeper into it, the card seems to be unbalanced and overpriced at the moment. I mean, I know it can run most games on high/ultra settings, but I really don't do that much gaming to be honest. The only games I really play are Flight Simulator X, Call of Duty: World at War, a little bit of Black Ops, and sometimes some older combat flight sims. I also do some 3D modeling and I've heard the Kepler cards' memory bus really holds it back. So my question is, is it a better idea to go ahead with the 660 for $220, or buy a 560 for $140 and wait for the next generation from Nvidia? I'm saying this because the 560's price has been cut and it seems to be a really good value at that price range, and I don't think I really need all the power of the 660 right now. My other option would be to go with a newer Raden card like a 7850 and then wait for the Geforce 700 series. What do you think would be my best option here? I'd like my budget to stay under $200 if possible.

I know that ANYTHING will give me improvement over what I have now, but is it worth spending $80 more for the newer generation of cards?

Hi - Only you can answer what the $80 difference is worth, the
performance difference of the 660 over the 560 is very significant.
It would be worth $80 if I were making the decision.

However, the 560 is also a huge improvement over the 430.

I would find a way to come up with the xtra $20 n go with the 660
m
l
!