Is This GPU enough for playing Far Cry 3 with decent FPS?

Bessel Raj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2013
Hey i just got FarCry3 .I started to play the game.But its a bit laggy..It works decently.But I am a Graphics Intensive guy.I didn't upgrade my CPU,only GPU 2 times.I bought the system in 2009.Still using the processor at that time.

My Specs are:

Processor:Intel E5200 Pentium Dual Core @2.5GHz

RAM: 3GB DDR2

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6770 1GB DDR5 @775 MHz default clock(which is a real bothering thing coz almost all AMD HD 6770 have 800+ Core Clock speed.I guess I got an under-clocked card)

PSU:Corsair CX430

1)First of all tell me about a Graphics setting I can play with to get a decent FPS and performance?
2)As you see above I got a kind of under-clocked card.So:

a)Tell me about the safe limit of Overclocking this GPU?(I say this on the light of Sapphire's other GPU's which uses a 800+ Mhz factory setting.So my guess is that this GPU should be overclockable upto some 800+ setting)

b)In AMD Overdrive,the clocking meter is only up to 800 MHz and Memory clock up to 1200 ?So what does this mean.When compared to other HD 6770 this is so low.What can I do?

c)Will simply using AMD Overdrive's Auto Tune void the warranty or the manual arrangement of Clocking meter without causing physical damage to one's GPU,which might occur when one overclockes it above the limit?

PLEASE ANSWER EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

abeaty1

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Nope. Under 25 fps. Consoles get 25-30 to give you perspective.

Maybe on low settings you can be fishing around in the low 40s. Personally, you are going to want at least 55-70 fps, though. People will say "oh I get 90 fps and better." Well, congratulations, but the human eye can only register right around 60 fps, so anything greater is pointless.

Get a new GPU (and PSU) that will clock you around 55 fps. That's all you new. It's gonna be pricy, though.

Bessel Raj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2013

Thank you for the reply.For me 25-30 is enough coz i love playing the new game at a reasonable Graphics setting than maxing it out and playing(though i love it if possible with my GPU)

Any way you didn't answer my second question.Please answer the second question as well.I've been wanting to know that more than the Graphics setting for FarCry 3.Please answer is u know it....

Also i have thought about buying a new GPU.I am impressed with AMD's diverse st of GPU's in various price range and I am also impressed by Nvidia'a Reliability and efficiency.Until 2011 i was a fan of Nvidia and I had a 9500 GT until 2011.I was convinced by my friends as well as by internet that when it comes to Hardcore performance for the money you pay for a GPU AMD comes first.that's why i bought this card(Sapphire HD6770 and with it iwas able to play Battlefield 3 in max as well as Run etc)

I am waiting for the Radeon HD 8xxx series to be released.What is in your suggestion about the GPU buying trend that's prevalent here....?