HD7970 or wait till HD8000 series

Greetings to all members of Tom's Hardware.

I am in a big dilemma right now. HD8000 cards have been announced,first models should arrive at March,high end at June. I thought about waiting till June to get a HD8950/8970 but the problems is that my HD4850 is getting old and new games are coming. I still have Q6600,3GB RAM also. I need an upgrade for Metro Last Light,GTA 5,BF4 and so on. But June is quite far away till high end cards come. There is always possibility that HD8000 cards will have problems in the beginning,Driver Issues,heating and so on since the first models are reference cards and it will be too long to wait for non reference. I am asking you,should I wait till new gen graphics or buy HD7970 (Vapor X or Lightning)

Thanks in advance :)
2 answers Last reply
More about hd7970 wait till hd8000 series
  1. ReaperXx said:
    Greetings to all members of Tom's Hardware.

I am in a big dilemma right now. HD8000 cards have been announced,first models should arrive at March,high end at June. I thought about waiting till June to get a HD8950/8970 but the problems is that my HD4850 is getting old and new games are coming. I still have Q6600,3GB RAM also. I need an upgrade for Metro Last Light,GTA 5,BF4 and so on. But June is quite far away till high end cards come. There is always possibility that HD8000 cards will have problems in the beginning,Driver Issues,heating and so on since the first models are reference cards and it will be too long to wait for non reference. I am asking you,should I wait till new gen graphics or buy HD7970 (Vapor X or Lightning)

Thanks in advance :)

Hi - you hit the nail on the head,I.E. it might be several months of
    driver tweaking, and the March/Jun releases are just rumors.
    There's already a rumor that those dates are going to be delayed.

My feeling is; if you want good quality gaming why wait,
    enjoy it now.

Tom
  2. Thank you for your reply.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Tom's Hardware Graphics