Nvidia 310.90 crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkcam17

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Hey guys ever since I updated to nvidia 310.90 I have been getting frequent BSOD's after I found out it was related to the driver I updated to the beta version... Again BSOD I eventually downgraded to the old 310.70 drivers and since then my computer did not crash for a few days but today another BSOD. Does anyone know anything about this problem? Could it be hardware related?
Some info that I got from a crash debug program

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\020313-7082-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x993B10)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8010358010, 0xFFFFF88005203B10, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x4)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys .
Google query: nvlddmkm.sys VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

darkcam17

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

Oh... Well yesterday I tried those and it crashed immediatly D:

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012

Try to driver sweep your current drivers.

Use this Driver Sweeper: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/ [...] eeper.html

Download and install it. Then follow these steps:

Start>Control Panel>[Right Click] Computer>Manage>Device Manager>Display Adapters>[Double Click] (Primary Graphics Card)>Driver>Uninstall (Be sure to check the box that says something like "Delete Driver Software"

Open Driver Sweeper
Select nVidia AND AMD drivers
Click Analyze
Click Clean
Restart and Repeat steps

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012

Hmmm, have you done a virus check on your computer? And open up CMD with elevated privileges and type in "SFC /scannow" to see what pops up.

darkcam17

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc/scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\Windows\system32>
And another crash just occured same error log

This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x929ADC)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800F6C74E0, 0xFFFFF88005224ADC, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x4)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 310.70
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 310.70
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 310.70 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012

Was there anything specific you were doing at the time of the crash, like anything to do with Adobe Flash Player, Java or DirectX? Also, is your BIOS up to date, or has it been flashed recently? Are you using Intel SRT, or other caching features? And are all other drivers up to date? And has any new hardware been installed recently, even plug-and-play devices?

darkcam17

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

1. I had league of legends open in the background and was using the internet youtube might have also been open but I'm not sure.
2. My bios was flashed to the newest version 2 months back when my GPU was red screening although I fixed that previous issue the crashes were different than the ones now.
3. I dont really know what Intel SRT is but I don't think so? My cpu is a 3570k
4. No not really I got a headset a month ago but I don't think that would affect it.
Also I'm going to go update all my other mobo drivers soon sometime today but I havent updated those for 3 months or so

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012

Does your system ever crash at startup or when idle, because the issue could be a DirectX driver that is not liking the nVidia drivers? Try updating the entire system to the latest and greatest, or WHQL drivers. And Intel SRT is just a chipset caching feature that can cause problems if the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software is newer and unsupported with your current BIOS, but if you have the newest available BIOS, this rules that out.

And when you use Driver Sweeper, do you also check for AMD drivers lingering? By default, Windows has an AMD driver that may cause problems, and Steam also installs some AMD stuff when installing it or updating it.

The nvlddmkm.sys issue is caused by a corrupt file in the nVidia driver directory. This is either caused by a virus infection, or by something else. In theory, if your system is clean, a driver sweep and clean install should solve the problem, but if it hasn't, something else in your system is not liking the driver.

darkcam17

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

Him before with the 310.90 drivers the computer frequently would crash on start up AFTER the first crash so it would crash twice in rapid succesion before settling out for a while..... With the 310.70 drivers it has not crashed on start up and I don't think it has crashed on idle almost always when league of legends and Google chrome have been open in the background although these two applications are almost always open on my computer.

And any ideas what could be not liking this driver? Any suggestions on what I need to update to maybe fix this issue?

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012

Try repairing the game installation, and update all drivers/software to the latest, and install whatever possible in 64-bit versions too (assuming you have a 64-bit OS). Does the computer ever hang and recover, or does it always go straight to BSOD? I don't like touching the registry for solutions, because Windows is made to be compatible, so by changing something, it may alter something else, but that will be last resort.

I'm guessing you have updated Windows from Windows Update already, so I'm going to rule out any obsolete Windows versions.

It may have just been coincidence that these issues started after a driver update, but maybe it has something to do hardware wise. Have you ever had any trouble with any other hardware? Try running memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org/) and see if your RAM is having difficulties with the data it handles, and in turn is corrupting your file. Also, try running your graphics card in another PCIe slot.

And one final thing, can you reproduce this crash with ease, or is it random under certain circumstances. e.g. the system randomly crashes when playing a game and watching a Flash video, but does not crash if only a game is open.

darkcam17

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

1. Yeah my GPU used to black screen all the time although I fixed that through a simple mobo bios update + reseat... That bug acted very differently than it is now as when that occured input would stop but windows would still be running in a wierd glitched out state forcing me to shut down and restart in a few minutes. Also my ram crashed before mobo bios update when turned on XMP profile and im honostly too laze to mess with it so I never enabled the XMP profile again. I will be running memtest sometime soon only reason I haven't done it up to this point is because my mobo cant see large flash drives and I haven't been able to get one that's the proper size recently but I can get one sometime soon.

2.I cant reproduce the crash although my computer seems stable without the client open but I havent really used my computer that much recently to be sure about it.

darkcam17

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

Uhh can you explain to me how to test the memory?

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012

It sounds like a mixture of a hardware and software issue. This is caused by either a faulty piece of hardware like the GPU, CPU or RAM. Do you have another computer in which you can test your graphics card on? As for ruling out your CPU and RAM, download Prime95 (http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/) and do either a In-Place Large FFT Test or a Blend Test for a minimum of 8 hours. It seems very time consuming, but it's the only effective way to rule out the CPU and RAM. You may have a faulty CPU that is not calculating properly, and/or not communicating with the driver and GPU properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.