Sign in with
Your question

Moving windows

Last response: in Windows 7
March 21, 2012 9:48:03 PM

i currently have 2x500 GB HDD in raid 0 with a 32 GB cache ssd. I am looking to upgrade to 2x120 GB ssd raid 1 for boot with 2x1.5 TB HDD raid 1 with a 32 GB ssd cache for storage. my question is about moving the OS now I've looked around but all i find is mirroring and i cant do that cause the data on my drives is going to be separated between the 2 drives. So what I'm asking is is there any way to move only the OS to my ssd and the rest to my hd or could i install my windows 7 on my ssd and just use file transferfor the other data(i not going out to buy another windows 7) or can i not do that with the same product key

More about : moving windows

a b $ Windows 7
March 21, 2012 10:13:56 PM

You should be able to use your current tcopy of the OS to install on the new SSD. Hard drive upgrades don't voilate the EULA.

I don't recommend cloning, especially SSDs. I start fresh, and then copy what I want to save from/to drives. Granted, you'll lose most of the specific settings you liked.

My question: WHY RAID 1?

RAID 1 is not a viable backup. It only saves you in the event of one drives failure.

Better option is use one HDD as you were (or going to), and use the other as a back up drive, to truely save you. And back up often using Windows back up, Norton, or what ever. Then you can recover.

And unless you already bought the 2 SSD, one should be enough. Unless you want to RAID 0 those (like me).
m
l
!