Moving windows

demonripper360

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
i currently have 2x500 GB HDD in raid 0 with a 32 GB cache ssd. I am looking to upgrade to 2x120 GB ssd raid 1 for boot with 2x1.5 TB HDD raid 1 with a 32 GB ssd cache for storage. my question is about moving the OS now I've looked around but all i find is mirroring and i cant do that cause the data on my drives is going to be separated between the 2 drives. So what I'm asking is is there any way to move only the OS to my ssd and the rest to my hd or could i install my windows 7 on my ssd and just use file transferfor the other data(i not going out to buy another windows 7) or can i not do that with the same product key

You should be able to use your current tcopy of the OS to install on the new SSD. Hard drive upgrades don't voilate the EULA.

I don't recommend cloning, especially SSDs. I start fresh, and then copy what I want to save from/to drives. Granted, you'll lose most of the specific settings you liked.

My question: WHY RAID 1?

RAID 1 is not a viable backup. It only saves you in the event of one drives failure.

Better option is use one HDD as you were (or going to), and use the other as a back up drive, to truely save you. And back up often using Windows back up, Norton, or what ever. Then you can recover.

And unless you already bought the 2 SSD, one should be enough. Unless you want to RAID 0 those (like me).