Closed Solved

Trying to find a gaming card for older PCI...not PCI-e PCI express

Hello...I just read and replied to a thread where a guy wanted to add a graphics card, to his older desktop...same thing I need to do.

I need a good performance card for the older type PCI socket...not a PCI-e / PCI express.... because my older HP a1240n mother board, does not allow for AGP or PCI-e.

And from all the reading I have done, there is no such thing as an aftermarket adapter which "correctly" adapts a regular PCI slot to AGP or PCI-e....meaning it will perform 100% as it should.

This is a shame because my other desktop, a HP a620n does have AGP and it has a Radeon X850 PRO, that I installed back when they were new on the market.

....But my HP a620n w/Radeon X850 PRO will not support a CPU over 2.2ghz. I can play a MMO such as "Dungeons and Dragons online" but a game such as "Tera online", requires a 3.2mhz or better CPU.

My HP a1240n mother board only has a 3.0mhz CPU, so I just bought an "upgrade" (CPU 3.4mhz --Socket: LGA775 #550 Intel processor...which is the largest CPU the board will support) This is the board I have: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00361570&lc=en&cc=us&product=1130587

I then bought a refurbished Radeon X850XT Platinum graphics card for it BUT....then wen I received it, realized the Radeon X850XT is PCI-e ....not the basic PCI...so I can't even use it.

I'm now I'm back to the drawing board.....trying to find a "good" gaming card, for my old HP a1240n system.

Any suggestions? Ebay is full of them.... cheap...but I want to get the best one I can.
123 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about trying find gaming card older express
  1. ur full specs first. and budget.
  2. OldtimeGamer said:
    Hello...I just read and replied to a thread where a guy wanted to add a graphics card, to his older desktop...same thing I need to do.

I need a good performance card for the older type PCI socket...not a PCI-e / PCI express.... because my older HP a1240n mother board, does not allow for AGP or PCI-e.

And from all the reading I have done, there is no such thing as an aftermarket adapter which "correctly" adapts a regular PCI slot to AGP or PCI-e....meaning it will perform 100% as it should.

This is a shame because my other desktop, a HP a620n does have AGP and it has a Radeon X850 PRO, that I installed back when they were new on the market.

....But my HP a620n w/Radeon X850 PRO will not support a CPU over 2.2ghz. I can play a MMO such as "Dungeons and Dragons online" but a game such as "Tera online", requires a 3.2mhz or better CPU.

My HP a1240n mother board only has a 3.0mhz CPU, so I just bought an "upgrade" (CPU 3.4mhz --Socket: LGA775 #550 Intel processor...which is the largest CPU the board will support) This is the board I have: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00361570&lc=en&cc=us&product=1130587

I then bought a refurbished Radeon X850XT Platinum graphics card for it BUT....then wen I received it, realized the Radeon X850XT is PCI-e ....not the basic PCI...so I can't even use it.

I'm now I'm back to the drawing board.....trying to find a "good" gaming card, for my old HP a1240n system.

Any suggestions? Ebay is full of them.... cheap...but I want to get the best one I can.

To be honest and probably a little harsh. NONE of the PCI cards will EVER run modern games. Not even the most basic modern games like League of legends.

The PCI bus is just to bandwidth starved.

Save up for a AMD APU based system, they are cheap and can play basic modern games.

Sorry, but I do not sugarcoat.
  3. good point.
  4. http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=47674&vpn=AP4350%20512MD2%2DH&manufacture=PowerColor

this is the best i could find, doubt it can run leauge of legends
  5. ya theres nothing that will run any games.

sorry looked
  6. Bellow are the specs for the HP a1240n.

It currently has only 1 GB (2 x 512) DDR2 SDRAM installed. I intend to max it out to 4GB using non-ecc unregisteded ECC CL3 memory. Still not great... but I hope 4GB will do the trick....I wish the motherboard could support more. They run about $10/!GB on a popular auction site...so $40 to upgrade memory.

The power supply is only 250w, so I'm thinking I'll upgrade it to either an Antec Basiq VP-450 450W or a Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-400 400W. (I have a HCG-400 in my other computer....HP a620n and it works very well to run my Radeon graphics card.)

Also, as I mentioned the processor is a Pentium4 630 (P) HT 3.0 GHz----but the mother board supports up to 3.4Ghz so I just bought a Intel Pentium 4 3.4 Ghz #550/ 1M / 800 Mhz socket 775 CPU processor SL7J8, to go as far as the board will support. I need a minimum processor of 3.2Ghz to play a game like "Tera online" so this hopefully will meet the bill.

As far a budget strictly for a good graphics card...not really sure. The old ones seem to go for $30-$75 on auction sites.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BASE INFO
    Base processor
    Pentium4 630 (P) HT 3.0 GHz:

800 MHz front side bus
    Socket 775

Chipset Intel 915GV
    Motherboard

Manufacturer: Asus
    Motherboard Name: PTGD-LA
    HP/Compaq motherboard name: Goldfish3-GL8E

Memory
    Component Attributes
    Memory Installed 1 GB (2 x 512)
    Maximum allowed 4 GB* (4 x 1 GB) requires the replacement of the installed 512 MB DIMMs

*Actual available memory may be less
    Speed supported PC2-3200 MB/sec
    Type 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM
    DIMM slots Four
    Open DIMM slots Two
    Hard drive

200 GB SATA
    7200 rpm

16x DVD(+/-)R/RW (+/-)R DL LightScribe drive

must use Double-Layer media discs in order to take advantage of the DL technology
    must use LightScribe-enabled media discs and supporting software in order to take advantage of the LightScribe technology

type Attributes
    DVD-R DL Write Once 4X
    DVD+R DL Write Once 2.4X
    DVD+R Write Once 16X
    DVD+RW Rewritable 4X
    DVD-R Write Once 8X
    DVD-RW Rewritable 4X
    DVD ROM Read 16X
    CD-R Write Once 40X
    CD-RW Rewritable 24X
    CD-ROM Read 40X
    DVD-ROM drive
    Maximum speed: 16X
    Modem
    PCI K56flex data/fax modem
    Video graphics
    Integrated with up to 128 MB allocated video memory
    Sound/audio
    Integrated High Definition audio

Realtek ALC 880 chipset
    8-channels for Full Dolby 5.1/6.1/7.1 surround sound support with Dolby Pro Logic IIx

Network (LAN)
    Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface
    Memory card reader

USB interface
    Supports the following cards:
    Compact Flash I
    Compact Flash II
    SmartMedia
    Memory Stick
    Memory Stick Pro
    MultiMediaCard
    Secure Digital (SD)
    Micro Drive
    XD Picture Card (xD = extreme digital)

External I/O ports
    I/O ports on the front panel
    Port type Quantity
    9-in-1 (4 slot) + 1 USB One
    IEEE 1394 One
    USB (2.0) Two
    Headphone One
    Line-in One
    Microphone One
    I/O ports on the back panel
    Port type Quantity
    PS/2 (keyboard, mouse) Two (one each)
    VGA (monitor) One
    Parallel One
    USB (2.0) Four
    IEEE 1394 One
    LAN One
    Audio One each (side speaker out, rear speaker out, center speaker out, line-in, line-out, microphone)
    Expansion slots
    Slot type Quantity
    PCI Three (two available)
    DIMM Four (two available)
    Drive bays
    Bay type Quantity
    5.25-inch, external Two (occupied)
    3.5-inch, external Two (one available)
    3.5-inch, internal One (occupied)
    Keyboard and mouse

HP PS/2 multimedia keyboard
    Quebec Keyboard Kit (French Canada only)
    HP PS/2 scroller mouse
  7. at this point id recommand u save ur money for a amd budget build.
  8. The MINIMUM GPU requirement for Tera Online

AMD/ATI : Radeon HD 5450 512MB.
    Nvidia : GeForce 315 512MB/GT220.

There is not a single PCI base card that can match the above cards.

So let me say this again, YOU CAN NOT USE A PCI BASED CARD for Tera Online or 99% of games available.
  9. ya id say buddy is screwed
  10. As a side note....I'm not exactly computer savvy...I'm willing to work on it and learn as I go...but this is not stuff I'm good at and have to read online/research very thoroughly just to try it.

Saying this...one guy suggested today that I consider replacing my ASUS made PTGD-LA Goldfish3-GL8E motherboard with a http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/P5G41TM/#specifications. It also uses the LGA 775 socket. But it has the PCI-e sockets.

He said that would fit in my HP a1240n system and it takes the same processor, ram, and hard drives (sata). It has two PCI slots and a PCI-E slot for video cards.

But I'm not too sure about if this is a option or not. I looks like there is a: ASUS p5g41t-m LX PLUS, also an LX3 PLUS,

I looked up the board online at http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/P5G41TM/#specifications

....but although it uses a Socket 775, it looks like it uses 2 x DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR3 1333(O.C.)/1066/800 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory and Intel® G41 / ICH7

but it says that **When you install a total memory of 4GB or more, Windows® 32-bit operating system may only recognize less than 3GB. We recommend a maximum of 3GB system memory if you are using a Windows® 32-bit operating system

I have the Windows® 32-bit operating system...so maybe it wouldn't be worth it anyway.
    It also looks like the fastest processor it seems to support is only 3.3Ghz.

Maybe this would work better to acquire PCI-e... but not sure.
  11. Novuake said:
    The MINIMUM GPU requirement for Tera Online

AMD/ATI : Radeon HD 5450 512MB.
    Nvidia : GeForce 315 512MB/GT220.

There is not a single PCI base card that can match the above cards.

So let me say this again, YOU CAN NOT USE A PCI BASED CARD for Tera Online or 99% of games available.

Ok...that's good to know up front. I'm very happy with playing Dungeons and Dragons online MMO on my AGP equipped HP a620n with Radeon X85O...just wanted to give Tera a try I suppose.
  12. I wasn't ignoring anybodies posts. I was typing my own while others were posted. They are all very much appreciated. ...thanks for the info.

It stinks because I have a practically brand new a1240n (It was never really used since new) and its pretty much useless for any sort of gaming I suppose.

Is there any truth that the ASUS P5G41T-M motherboard would be more or less a direct swap and a big upgrade?
  13. OldtimeGamer said:
    As a side note....I'm not exactly computer savvy...I'm willing to work on it and learn as I go...but this is not stuff I'm good at and have to read online/research very thoroughly just to try it.

Saying this...one guy suggested today that I consider replacing my ASUS made PTGD-LA Goldfish3-GL8E motherboard to a . It also uses the LGA 775 socket. But it has the PCI-e sockets.

He said that would fit in my HP a1240n system and it takes the same processor, ram, and hard drives (sata). It has two PCI slots and a PCI-E slot for video cards.

But I'm not too sure about if this is a option or not. I looks like there is a: ASUS p5g41t-m LX PLUS, also an LX3 PLUS,

I looked up the board online at http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/P5G41TM/#specifications

....but although it uses a Socket 775, it looks like it uses 2 x DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR3 1333(O.C.)/1066/800 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory and Intel® G41 / ICH7

but it says that **When you install a total memory of 4GB or more, Windows® 32-bit operating system may only recognize less than 3GB. We recommend a maximum of 3GB system memory if you are using a Windows® 32-bit operating system

I have the Windows® 32-bit operating system...so maybe it wouldn't be worth it anyway.
    It also looks like the fastest processor it seems to support is only 3.3Ghz.

Maybe this would work better to acquire PCI-e... but not sure.

It is a MUCH better option to get a better motherboard with PCI-e, but depending on the price and your budget, I would not spend money on a system that is based on a socket that is heavily outdated.

Tera online seems to also want a DUAL core CPU, which you do not have. It may work with your current CPU though if you ahve a decent graphics card.

Lets work this out for you.

Lets say you get a 775 socket PCI-e motherboard for 40$ and a cheap graphics card for 30$
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161367

So that gives you 70$ cost for A CHANCE to run the game, and if it does run, it will be at EXTREMELY LOW SETTINGS.

Now if you were to get an AMD APU based system that will run the game FOR SURE.
    Motherboard 48$
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130641

CPU 55$
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113283

So that is 33$ more BUT you knwo for a fact you would run the game. It won't be high settings, but it would sure be higher than the system you are considering.

What is your total budget for getting you to run this game?
  14. While you probably could replace the motherboard with the ASUS P5G41TM, you would also need to purchase a new operating system as the one installed in your system now, it tied to your old motherboard.

If you're going to be purchasing new components, you may as well go with current, up to date components.

-Wolf sends
  15. id suggest u get a new ps+mobo+ram+cpu+videocard. got a budget in mind?
  16. I was "thinking" that changing a motherboard would require a new operating system...and wasn't just a quick swap..as the guy selling the board suggested. But I wasn't really sure how that works or how complicated it was.

Again...this is pretty much new stuff for me...but I like to learn and am willing to stumble my way through it. Previously, I've only swapped out various parts, like upgrading to better CPUs, power sources, graphic cards and "basic" stuff like that.

I would like to get all the parts for under $300.... if I can rely heavily on buying good but used parts etc, of a popular auction site.
  17. OldtimeGamer said:
    I was "thinking" that changing a motherboard would require a new operating system...and wasn't just a quick swap..as the guy selling the board suggested. But I wasn't really sure how that works or how complicated it was.

Again...this is pretty much new stuff for me...but I like to learn and am willing to stumble my way through it. Previously, I've only swapped out various parts, like upgrading to better CPUs, power sources, graphic cards and "basic" stuff like that.

I would like to get all the parts for under $300.... if I can rely heavily on buying good but used parts etc, of a popular auction site.

Well at 300 Dollars you have MANY better option. What power supply do you have? Will your case fit normal ATX components? (it should).
  18. Its a big full size case, so space wont be much of an issue. The current installed power supply is only 250w, so I'm thinking I hve two options...I considered upgraded it to either with a Antec Basiq VP-450 450watt...

...Or another option for power is just take the Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-400 400W out of my HP a620n.
    Not really a concern, because I can't do anything more with that desktop because its only an AMD 3200+ with 2.2Ghz...but it runs my (AGP) Radeon X850 Pro in it good enough to play DDO.com.

As I explained earlier...I also have a refurbished Radeon X850XT Platinum PCI-E that I can't use. So I could salvage the Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-400400w power source and my extra Radeon X850XT Platinum PCI-E ....if that would meet requirements to play stuff like TERA.
  19. do u still have that x850xt?
  20. PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BlyL
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BlyL/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BlyL/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($123.79 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus F2A55-M/CSM Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Microcenter)
    Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($38.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $287.75
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-03 21:08 EST-0500)

would do it
  21. Yep...I just bought the X850XT Platinum about two weeks ago. I screwed up and thought it was designed for for PCI..but when I received it realized its only for PCI-e.
  22. Iceclock has got you a nice budget build there. Go with that if you do not want to go above 300$. As for the X850XT, it won't run Tera either.
  23. iceclock said:
    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BlyL
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BlyL/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BlyL/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($123.79 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus F2A55-M/CSM Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Microcenter)
    Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($38.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $287.75
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-03 21:08 EST-0500)

would do it

Icelock( and you other guys too)...thanks for that super fast breakdown of a direction to do a build. So... if I'm lucky, I could possibly do this build a little closer to $200 if I can buy via auction site.

Then I'd have to install a 64 bit operating system..right? Sorry if I sound clueless... I sort of am...(I'm in my 40's...a old guy you might say)
  24. OldtimeGamer said:
    Icelock...thanks for that super fast breakdown of a direction to do a build. So... if I'm lucky, I do this build a little closer to $200 if I can buy via auction site.

Then I'd have to install a 64 bit operating system..right? Sorry if I sound clueless... I sort of am...(I'm in my 40's...a old guy you might say)

lol you can still learn these things at 40+.

Yes you would need to get a 64-bit windows.

I would not suggest getting the components at an auction though. Except the CPU, that should be fine, but not the mobo or RAM as you can't confirm it is in a working order.

You can also get windows 7 64-bit at an auction.
  25. I saw the post for the 4350 and was like NO!!!!!! I have one, so I know(it JUST managed to push media center).

The Athon XP 3200 is actually faster then some of the 3GHz P4's(not on all programs, but yeah) anyway and the Athlon 64's @ 2.2 could beat out a 3.0-3.2 P4 as for sure. The gigahertz battle is long over(many lower clocked newer cpus are faster then the older but high clocked chips).

Now as others have said, that is VERY old hardware and not worth upgrading.

iceclock sent you a build that is years ahead. While it is not top end it should at least let you play more modern games at reduced settings.

Also watch it when upgrading 775 systems as the Core2 duo chips are NOT supported on old boards, but they are WAY faster then the P4 ever was(you are talking 1.8-2.0Ghz chips beating 3.0GHz chips fast). P4's are just not worth upgrading most of the time.
  26. Novuake said:
    Iceclock has got you a nice budget build there. Go with that if you do not want to go above 300$. As for the X850XT, it won't run Tera either.

Ok...that I didn't know.

When I downloaded Tera 4 attempts... at eventually for 20 hours...(almost not worth the effort and aggravation) it wouldn't run, so I ran the "Can I Run It" program found online.

It showed my Radeon X850 Pro passed their run test but the minimum required CPU must be 3.2Ghz. My HP a620n AMD 3200+only had 2.2Ghz...so it showed as failed

I figured it was just a matter of my slow a620n's CPU.

That's what gave me the idea of upgrading my other computer...HP 12340n from 3.0Ghz up to 3.4Ghz...and figured all would be ok.

...then I realized the a1240n is only PCI...no AEG or PCI-e.
  27. OldtimeGamer said:
    Ok...that I didn't know.

When I downloaded Tera 4 attempts... at eventually for 20 hours...(almost not worth the effort and aggravation) it wouldn't run, so I ran the "Can I Run It" program found online.

It showed my Radeon X850 Pro passed their run test but the minimum required CPU must be 3.2Ghz. My HP a620n AMD 3200+only had 2.2Ghz...so it showed as failed

I figured it was just a matter of my slow a620n's CPU.

That's what gave me the idea of upgrading my other computer...HP 12340n from 3.0Ghz up to 3.4Ghz...and figured all would be ok.

...then I realized the a1240n is only PCI...no AEG or PCI-e.

The X850 XT is a SM2.0 model(DX9). The game needs SM3.0(DX9c). While the X850 XT was the FASTEST thing when it came out, newer versions of DX have made it rather old now.

They spec a Athlon 64 3200 as the min. That was a 2.0Ghz(2.2 on later versions) single core chip :). Would run bad I guess on the min specs either way.
  28. So even better news.... that neither my (AGP) Radeon X850 Pro or (PCI-e) X850 XT Platinum will work anyway, if I weant to play MMO's such as Tera.

My(AGP) Radeon X850 Pro works pretty good to play DDO.com even on the recommended setting (high setting)...although sometimes there is noticeable lag time and stalling going on.
  29. DDO can get by on much less(64 MB Hardware T&L[cards have had this for a while] -compatible video card). Have you looked at how much space you need to install TERA. Thats insane. I wonder how much is used AFTER install(I assume lots of it is for decompressing ect.)

I can not give you a 100% since I have never tried a lower end SM2.0 card on TERA(I am SURE my friend is going to want to me to play this when it goes F2P). Some games just want DX9c installed, but still work on older cards. That game lists X1600XT(a SM3.0 card, but not THAT fast).
  30. Here is a quick build i did if you want to go with discrete graphics card instead of apu http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BlVT
    CPU

AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $72.74(Currently toms suggested CPU for $75) Amazon
    Motherboard

ECS A960M-M2 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard $49.28 Amazon
    Memory

Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $39.00 Amazon
    Video Card

MSI Radeon HD 7750 2GB Video Card $99.99 -$10.00 $4.99 $94.98 Newegg
    $10.00 mail-in rebate
    Power Supply

Antec Basiq 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply $42.39 Amazon
    Base Total: $303.40
    Mail-in Rebates: -$10.00
    Shipping: $4.99
    Total: $298.39
  31. OldtimeGamer said:
    Icelock( and you other guys too)...thanks for that super fast breakdown of a direction to do a build. So... if I'm lucky, I could possibly do this build a little closer to $200 if I can buy via auction site.

You would need a 64bit OS to take advantage 8GB of RAM but you could run on a 32bit OS and just use 2GB if you so desire, 40+ is not so old IMO.
  32. Mousemonkey said:
    You would need a 64bit OS to take advantage 8GB of RAM but you could run on a 32bit OS and just use 2GB if you so desire, 40+ is not so old IMO.

I find myself wondering how old you are? You seem like the wise old uncle on Toms...
  33. look at these spesc for the hp a1240 this board do not have a agp or pci-e slot it only have a onbord video chipset so it is a waste of money to try update this board your better start to raise fund for another system as the other members of the forum tel you,specs of your motherboard http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00361570&lc=en you wont be able to play any newer games on this board so follow the forum members advice .
  34. scout_03 said:
    look at these spesc for the hp a1240 this board do not have a agp or pci-e slot it only have a onbord video chipset so it is a waste of money to try update this board your better start to raise fund for another system as the other members of the forum tel you,specs of your motherboard http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00361570&lc=en you wont be able to play any newer games on this board so follow the forum members advice .

No offence BUT :
    Ever heard of syntax or formatting???

Also change your quote, it should be "My rewards are helping."

You are driving my OCD to insane levels...
  35. @ Novuake english is not my first language but i do my best to make me understand ,no offence to you also but i would like to see you write in my language without making error and your the first one making comment on what and the way i write it ) salutations scout_03
  36. scout_03 said:
    @ Novuake english is not my first language but i do my best to make me understand ,no offence to you also but i would like to see you write in my language without making error and your the first one making comment on what and the way i write it ) salutations scout_03

Afrikaans is my first language... LOL

VERY far from English... But hey, perspective i guess.. :D

No worries mate.
  37. nukemaster said:
    DDO can get by on much less(64 MB Hardware T&L[cards have had this for a while] -compatible video card). Have you looked at how much space you need to install TERA. Thats insane. I wonder how much is used AFTER install(I assume lots of it is for decompressing ect.)

I can not give you a 100% since I have never tried a lower end SM2.0 card on TERA(I am SURE my friend is going to want to me to play this when it goes F2P). Some games just want DX9c installed, but still work on older cards. That game lists X1600XT(a SM3.0 card, but not THAT fast).

I was into the idea that Tera is scheduled F2P on Feb 5th. I thought I would give it a try, while they are doing their open play time over the last week. This is a game that is a PITA to download. But that aside...its huge and like I said...20 hours via my DSL connection.

But anyway....if I'm going to do a build for MMO's, I really dont want to have to put out or can afford too expensive for a graphics card. (Mostly because my wife wouldn't be too happy and there are always bills to pay)

My Radeon X850 PRO as I recall was around $350...today, too rich for my blood, so I am satisfied with something on the lower end of technology, but really don't want to have to play on low settings.

It would be nice to play games such as TERA on a high setting (normal I suppose) and more appreciate some games (like DDO.com), as long as I can do it within reason. If my Radeon X850 PRO looks as good as it does for DDO.com, a better/newer card might be pretty amazing.
  38. my opinion, it is not worth it. the performance will be bad, the hassle would be too much, it will probably be expensive (especially for the amount of performance).

my take? save you money, get a new rig. It's like buying a ram, ddr3 are dirt cheap, if you have an older pc with ddr2 it will be more expensive to buy rams, and you will not be able to use them to another pc
  39. Novuake said:
    I find myself wondering how old you are? You seem like the wise old uncle on Toms...

He's right...being in your 40's isn't so old. At least that how you look at it when you get there ...or beyond...right? While in my teens (gaming on my VIC20 then on my C-64) I though 40's was ancient.

But now... I wish I knew half the stuff people 1/3 my age know about this stuff.
  40. scout_03 said:
    look at these spesc for the hp a1240 this board do not have a agp or pci-e slot it only have a onbord video chipset so it is a waste of money to try update this board your better start to raise fund for another system as the other members of the forum tel you,specs of your motherboard http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00361570&lc=en you wont be able to play any newer games on this board so follow the forum members advice .

I agree Scout_03...you guys have quickly convinced me that doing a build is the best way to go rather than mess around with trying in vain to upgrade older technology. Hopefully I can just use the case and some of the hardware out of one computer and build a system just devoted to gaming.
  41. OldtimeGamer said:
    I was into the idea that Tera is scheduled F2P on Feb 5th. I thought I would give it a try, while they are doing their open play time over the last week. This is a game that is a PITA to download. But that aside...its huge and like I said...20 hours via my DSL connection.

But anyway....if I'm going to do a build for MMO's, I really dont want to have to put out or can afford too expensive for a graphics card. (Mostly because my wife wouldn't be too happy and there are always bills to pay)

My Radeon X850 PRO as I recall was around $350...today, too rich for my blood, so I am satisfied with something on the lower end of technology, but really don't want to have to play on low settings.

It would be nice to play games such as TERA on a high setting (normal I suppose) and more appreciate some games (like DDO.com), as long as I can do it within reason. If my Radeon X850 PRO looks as good as it does for DDO.com, a better/newer card might be pretty amazing.

A very nice price/performance card right now that does not cost an arm and a leg would be the HD7770.

Here is a one :
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202011

That coupled with an I3 really is great value for money if you can at least afford that.
  42. OldtimeGamer said:
    He's right...being in your 40's isn't so old. At least that how you look at it when you get there ...or beyond...right? While in my teens (gaming on my VIC20 then on my C-64) I though 40's was ancient.

But now... I wish I knew half the stuff people 1/3 my age know about this stuff.

Good old vic 20. and its memory expansion(or games) cartridge and tape drive :)

Load(for some reason i though it need an 8 or * or $ or something too) -> Press play on tape :)
  43. your case is a hp one or a another from a maker will be good to have the specs (live same place you live )
  44. Novuake said:
    A very nice price/performance card right now that does not cost an arm and a leg would be the HD7770.

Here is a one :
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202011

That coupled with an I3 really is great value for money if you can at least afford that.

I checked the card out and one orf the reviews mentions "-7.5 rating on gaming graphics performance in windows rating. (The highest you can get is 7.9)", so its certainly worth looking into a little further at $115.
  45. OldtimeGamer said:
    I checked the card out and one orf the reviews mentions "-7.5 rating on gaming graphics performance in windows rating. (The highest you can get is 7.9)", so its certainly worth looking into a little further at $115.

Avoid using Windows rating, but yeah, its a pretty amazing card at 115$(99$ after rebate).

It will run any modern game easily and Tera maxed out for sure.
  46. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500262

That's probably the fastest PCI card out there. It would meet the minimum specs I'm sure. One of the comments from a verified owner says that he is using this card to play rift. It is at low detail but from what he says it's playable. It seems like hardly anyone knows this card even exists. Which is understandable because not to many people use older PC's for gaming anymore.
  47. nukemaster said:
    Good old vic 20. and its memory expansion(or games) cartridge and tape drive :)

Load(for some reason i though it need an 8 or * or $ or something too) -> Press play on tape :)

I only had the VIC20 (with 1530 datasette) 2 maybe 3 weeks (around 1982 or 83) but then my friend was playing ULTIMA III on his C64 and quickly convinced me return the VIC20 and pay a little more for the C64. Then I had to save up to buy a 1541 Floppy Drive for it. Life was good indeed.
  48. twstd1 said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500262

That's probably the fastest PCI card out there. It would meet the minimum specs I'm sure. One of the comments from a verified owner says that he is using this card to play rift. It is at low detail but from what he says it's playable. It seems like hardly anyone knows this card even exists. Which is understandable because not to many people use older PC's for gaming anymore.

WOW!!! Pretty damn impressive find, horrible card that won't perform like a normal GT610, but still a great find.

Still would not do it though. Intel HD onboard graphics can even match up to that thing.
  49. Novuake said:
    Avoid using Windows rating, but yeah, its a pretty amazing card at 115$(99$ after rebate).

It will run any modern game easily and Tera maxed out for sure.

I still have XP Home Edition in both my computers, so I have never used the Window rating that I understand is a feature of newer operating systems. But even if its a little off in its rating...at that price..not too bad.

Off the top of your head, are there any other PCI-e cards that come to mind...in a similar price range which would offer a little more quality?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards PCI Hewlett Packard PCI Express Graphics Product