I need help pretty pleeeaase...

danno84

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Hi all, been lurking and searching posts for awhile now. So I just finished my first build, and have had alot of fun learning and tinkering. I have a couple questions about graphics, though. First, my specs:

x79 Sabertooth mobo
3820 sandy bridge
radeon 7870 hd
intel 520 series 240 g ssd
big huge case with two huge fans...
hyper cool 212 cpu fan
dell 24" ultra sharp 1920x1200
2 8 g ares 1600m ram

I figured what the hell I may as well overclock gpu and cpu while I'm at it. So I am running the 3820 at 4.625 gh which has been nice and stable, running right at 65 - 70 during prime 95. Also followed some guidelines for the gpu, running the mem at 1400, clock at 1100 (stable at 60 during furmark).

So when I play Skyrim on ultra at 1200 it lags badly while panning the camera at some angles. Even playing gtaIV at the highest settings, it lags while panning the camera around. I had the impression that this card should handle this stuff easy. Apparently not? I am assuming that the gpu is the bottleneck. should I try and push it more with oc? Maybe I ought to buy another 7870 and cross fire (or sli, i don't really know the difference yet). Just trying to get a nice setup working well...

am I just wasting money if I buy another card and cross fire, or is that my answer?

oh, and running 64 bit windows 7
any input is greatly appreciated.