I need help pretty pleeeaase...

Hi all, been lurking and searching posts for awhile now. So I just finished my first build, and have had alot of fun learning and tinkering. I have a couple questions about graphics, though. First, my specs:

x79 Sabertooth mobo
3820 sandy bridge
radeon 7870 hd
intel 520 series 240 g ssd
big huge case with two huge fans...
hyper cool 212 cpu fan
dell 24" ultra sharp 1920x1200
2 8 g ares 1600m ram

I figured what the hell I may as well overclock gpu and cpu while I'm at it. So I am running the 3820 at 4.625 gh which has been nice and stable, running right at 65 - 70 during prime 95. Also followed some guidelines for the gpu, running the mem at 1400, clock at 1100 (stable at 60 during furmark).

So when I play Skyrim on ultra at 1200 it lags badly while panning the camera at some angles. Even playing gtaIV at the highest settings, it lags while panning the camera around. I had the impression that this card should handle this stuff easy. Apparently not? I am assuming that the gpu is the bottleneck. should I try and push it more with oc? Maybe I ought to buy another 7870 and cross fire (or sli, i don't really know the difference yet). Just trying to get a nice setup working well...

am I just wasting money if I buy another card and cross fire, or is that my answer?

oh, and running 64 bit windows 7
any input is greatly appreciated.
7 answers Last reply
More about pretty pleeeaase
  1. If you are using AMD cards it's Crossfire and if you're using Nvidia cards it's SLi, that's the difference.
  2. thanks Mouse monkey, one other thing I didn't mention was maybe adding more memory...
  3. Or should I chuck the 7870 and buy a 7900 series?
  4. I'm not a fan of AMD/ATi cards and wouldn't spend my own money on one so I can't really say what would be best for you.
  5. Also, is this a common problem running higher than 1080 res?
  6. How much higher?
  7. 1920 x 1200
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics