Sign in with
Your question

MSI 7870 Hawk Running Hot

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 3, 2013 10:21:25 PM

I recently built a computer with a MSI Radeon 7870 Hawk. The first card I received had some really strange issues. I made a post on it awhile back but the issues were so strange that no one really seemed to have an answer. Eventually I RMA'd the card for a new one. So I have been using this new card for awhile and hadn't really seen issues.

Recently though I started playing Star Wars: The Old Republic and my GPU temps were sky rocketing and eventually I had to start running a frame limiter and run the game at 45 FPS just to run in the 80C range. At first I figured it was just something related to the game and my card. Now though I'm starting to play Planetside 2 and the card runs around 90C when I'm not in any action and gets close to 105C when in battles, sometimes getting close to 110C.

I do run the card with some overclock but it really isn't much (1200MHz GPU and 1300MHz memory) and I haven't touched the voltage settings at all. I tried removing the overclock and it didn't seem to have any effect on the temperatures. I could turn the graphics settings down in the game but with the power this card has it should be able to play most games with max settings. It seems like there is more of an issue going on than with this one game.

Lastly, I noticed the card seems to be running quite hot during idle. Right now with just Chrome open it's idling at 58C while my CPU and motherboard temps are 32C and 29 C respectively. Even with just chrome open and my GPU fans running at 100% the temps haven't gone below 51C.

I read on another thread that it might be a good idea to remove the heat sink, clean up the GPU and heat sink block and apply some better thermal paste. Will something like this void the warranty? I'd like to think that with the reviews out there that this card is pretty good and that I've just had some bad luck.

One last thing, I like to look at the Windows Event Viewer ever once and awhile and I have noticed these events coming up quite often.

Quote:
The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention.
Scenario : Video memory resources are over-utilized and there is thrashing happening as a result. Reducing number of running programs and open windows may help resolve this condition.

Which has the event ID of 500 and
Quote:
Reason : Graphics subsystem resources are over-utilized.
Diagnosis : A sharp degradation in Desktop Window Manager responsiveness was observed.

With event ID of 501

I googled both of these errors and wasn't able to find anything that helped me get rid of the events. Could these events be related to my issue?

tl;dr: My temps are running abnormally high, idling at around 55C and are around 100C when loaded.
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2013 10:39:08 PM

killxjoy15 said:
I recently built a computer with a MSI Radeon 7870 Hawk. The first card I received had some really strange issues. I made a post on it awhile back but the issues were so strange that no one really seemed to have an answer. Eventually I RMA'd the card for a new one. So I have been using this new card for awhile and hadn't really seen issues.

Recently though I started playing Star Wars: The Old Republic and my GPU temps were sky rocketing and eventually I had to start running a frame limiter and run the game at 45 FPS just to run in the 80C range. At first I figured it was just something related to the game and my card. Now though I'm starting to play Planetside 2 and the card runs around 90C when I'm not in any action and gets close to 105C when in battles, sometimes getting close to 110C.

I do run the card with some overclock but it really isn't much (1200MHz GPU and 1300MHz memory) and I haven't touched the voltage settings at all. I tried removing the overclock and it didn't seem to have any effect on the temperatures. I could turn the graphics settings down in the game but with the power this card has it should be able to play most games with max settings. It seems like there is more of an issue going on than with this one game.

Lastly, I noticed the card seems to be running quite hot during idle. Right now with just Chrome open it's idling at 58C while my CPU and motherboard temps are 32C and 29 C respectively. Even with just chrome open and my GPU fans running at 100% the temps haven't gone below 51C.

I read on another thread that it might be a good idea to remove the heat sink, clean up the GPU and heat sink block and apply some better thermal paste. Will something like this void the warranty? I'd like to think that with the reviews out there that this card is pretty good and that I've just had some bad luck.

One last thing, I like to look at the Windows Event Viewer ever once and awhile and I have noticed these events coming up quite often.

Quote:
Scenario : Video memory resources are over-utilized and there is thrashing happening as a result. Reducing number of running programs and open windows may help resolve this condition.

Which has the event ID of 500 and
Quote:
Reason : Graphics subsystem resources are over-utilized.
Diagnosis : A sharp degradation in Desktop Window Manager responsiveness was observed.

With event ID of 501

I googled both of these errors and wasn't able to find anything that helped me get rid of the events. Could these events be related to my issue?

That event has to do with Aero using to much of your GPU resources. But I dont see that being the problem for such high temps. What are you using to monitor those temps? Try disabling windows aero and see if that makes a difference.
February 4, 2013 4:30:24 AM

I'm using the monitoring part of MSI Afterburner to monitor my temps and such. I'll see what disabling Aero does but from what I've read Aero really doesn't have much effect on video resources. Transparency and 3D desktop are what use them the most and I have transparency disabled already.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2013 4:39:23 AM

killxjoy15 said:
I'm using the monitoring part of MSI Afterburner to monitor my temps and such. I'll see what disabling Aero does but from what I've read Aero really doesn't have much effect on video resources. Transparency and 3D desktop are what use them the most and I have transparency disabled already.

Yeah that's what I'm saying it shouldnt take that much, but it doesnt hurt to try.
February 4, 2013 4:43:40 AM

After this short period of 15 minutes of running with Windows Basic my temp is 55C. I know it hasn't been long but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Seems odd how hot it runs considering my Mobo and CPU are around 30C. My CPU is watercooled but the fact that my mobo is all air seems to dismiss my case not getting enough air flow, especially since I have 7 case fans.
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2013 9:09:16 AM

Well before trying anything that has something to do with removing the heatsink and applying thermal paste why not just return it and get a new one (Yes I know you did that once already). I would say that the card is definitely getting too hot. Hav you tried to stress test it yet?
February 4, 2013 1:25:05 PM

I've ran MSI Kombustor and 3DMark 11 a few times and never really noticed the issues when I first got this one. From what I've read though its best to stress test by just playing the games since programs like Kombustor don't really simulate actual use.
February 5, 2013 2:49:03 AM

Just an update:
Here is a SS of my hardware monitor after playing PlanetSide 2 for about 30 minutes.

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/5517/gpumonitor.png

The average temp while I was playing was around 87C. It seems like the idle temp is a bit better today but still not great. I have checked for background processes that would use my GPU and I haven't seen anything. Just this weekend I reformatted my System drive and re-installed Windows. I also just tried re-installing the graphics driver before playing. Right now the temp is sitting at 46C with only Chrome open. I didn't feel the graphics card yet but I think it is a bit harder to really feel the heat because the PCB has a back plate to it.
February 6, 2013 10:33:56 PM

I recently talked to a tech rep from MSI, notifying them of the strangely high temps, and he said that the temperatures were normal and I could re-apply thermal paste if I wanted. In reply, I asked if this would void the warranty and he said no. So I took at look at the back of the card and on one of the screws is a sticker that says "Warranty void if removed or damaged". I told him about the sticker and he said "that is fine". Will re-applying thermal paste void my warranty? Or even lower my temps enough to be safer or should I attempt to RMA the card with MSI even though they may reject it?

Also, one thing I did notice is that when I have both of my monitors enabled my mem clock is forced to max and this seems to increase the temps. If I switch off one of the displays the temps go down to about 39C at idle, down from 46C.
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 11:33:04 PM

I am not so sure that adding additional information is really the same as bumping...
February 6, 2013 11:39:55 PM

smeezekitty said:
I am not so sure that adding additional information is really the same as bumping...

Well to be fair I edited the post. Originally I said I was bumping it but there was additional information below that.
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 6, 2013 11:45:31 PM

killxjoy15 said:
Well to be fair I edited the post. Originally I said I was bumping it but there was additional information below that.

And that is the only reason I didn't close the thread. :whistle: 
February 6, 2013 11:51:14 PM

Your old thread sounds like corrupted driver install, you should have uninstalled, cleaned out all the fragments with driver cleaner/CCleaner and done a clean install.

February 6, 2013 11:52:46 PM

I actually tried that but to no avail. I tried that for the old issue and this new one. The old issue is sort of out of the question now because its a different card. I do appreciate your help though.
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2013 12:14:41 AM

In any case, 110c is far too hot. That is 10c over WATER BOILING.

Your main options here are to try returning it or reseating the heatsink and risk voiding your warranty.
February 7, 2013 12:25:22 AM

Yeah, it does seem like the temps have relaxed a bit but still not near a point where I think it would be safe. One thing I did notice is that after turning the voltage monitoring on in Afterburner that the voltage during load is 1150 mV even though the setting in Afterburner is 1119 mV. As far as reseating the heatsink, I probably won't try simply because of the sticker on one of the screws that says the warranty is void if I remove it. If the card dies to heat then at least I will still have the warranty.
!