Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Sapphire 7950 Vapor x w/boost vs Gigabyte 7950 Stock Vs 660ti

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 3, 2013 10:42:10 PM

As the title says, which one should i buy? Me and my friend have been talking and he says the gigabyte probably has better cooling, but i just can't make my mind up.
a c 161 U Graphics card
February 3, 2013 10:54:01 PM

Post a link to the Gigabyte and GTX660ti. We cant comment on cooling if we do not know the model.
Related resources
a c 161 U Graphics card
February 3, 2013 11:02:57 PM

OK, the Gigabyte DOES NOT have the best cooling, the Vapor-X is arguably the best cooling for AMD GPUs, the WF3 cooling used on the gigabyte has known coil whine issues.

The MSI has a very good cooler too. But in my opinion the HD7950 is the better card although the 2 are very close in performance. Really depends on the games you play?

Reasons to pick Nvidia GTX660ti.
PhysX(very few games use this unfortunately, but when used its pretty nice)
Slightly smoother gameplay(although this issue is being addressed by AMD)

Reasons to pick AMD HD7950.
More VRAM(longer usable lifespan for the card)
A larger memory bus.(results in better Anti aliasing performance)
Much better overclocker.


What games do you play? Then I can make a definite recommendation.
February 3, 2013 11:04:52 PM

I have a sapphire HD7950 Vapor-X and it is indeed a great card with awesome cooling!!
February 3, 2013 11:13:25 PM

Novuake said:
OK, the Gigabyte DOES NOT have the best cooling, the Vapor-X is arguably the best cooling for AMD GPUs, the WF3 cooling used on the gigabyte has known coil whine issues.

The MSI has a very good cooler too. But in my opinion the HD7950 is the better card although the 2 are very close in performance. Really depends on the games you play?

Reasons to pick Nvidia GTX660ti.
PhysX(very few games use this unfortunately, but when used its pretty nice)
Slightly smoother gameplay(although this issue is being addressed by AMD)

Reasons to pick AMD HD7950.
More VRAM(longer usable lifespan for the card)
A larger memory bus.(results in better Anti aliasing performance)
Much better overclocker.


What games do you play? Then I can make a definite recommendation.




I'll tell you all the games i will play, GTA4, GTA5, Fallout 3, Batman games, ARMA 2 (Alot of ARMA2) ARMA 3, Dayz standalone when its out, probably Dirt 3, Eurotruck, Minecraft, Battlefield 3 alot, Bad Company 2, Live for speed, probably more but il leave that as that.
February 3, 2013 11:17:39 PM

And i will be overclocking aswell
a c 161 U Graphics card
February 3, 2013 11:23:25 PM

myuserok said:
I'll tell you all the games i will play, GTA4, GTA5, Fallout 3, Batman games, ARMA 2 (Alot of ARMA2) ARMA 3, Dayz standalone when its out, probably Dirt 3, Eurotruck, Minecraft, Battlefield 3 alot, Bad Company 2, Live for speed, probably more but il leave that as that.


AMD actually favors MOST of those games, Batman is the only one that has PhysX.
Considering you will OC........

I should say get the HD7950 Vapor-X.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/645?vs=647

There is a quick bench you may find useful, although it is outdated. AMD HD7950 will perform even better now.
February 3, 2013 11:29:41 PM

myuserok said:
I'll tell you all the games i will play, GTA4, GTA5, Fallout 3, Batman games, ARMA 2 (Alot of ARMA2) ARMA 3, Dayz standalone when its out, probably Dirt 3, Eurotruck, Minecraft, Battlefield 3 alot, Bad Company 2, Live for speed, probably more but il leave that as that.


I got the Gigabyte GTX 660 TI OC version, it's absolutely an animal. I even overclocked it more than it's already overclocked, and it runs fantastic. Very quiet and the card runs below 71C on FurMark.
February 3, 2013 11:34:59 PM

Novuake said:
AMD actually favors MOST of those games, Batman is the only one that has PhysX.
Considering you will OC........

I should say get the HD7950 Vapor-X.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/645?vs=647

There is a quick bench you may find useful, although it is outdated. AMD HD7950 will perform even better
now.


Oh wow these are really good scores how high is the card overclocked on the benchmarks?
It says 850/925
And is 2560x1600 two screens?
February 3, 2013 11:48:13 PM

plus AMD has a new game bundle, so you get crysis 3 and tomb raider? I think. When you get a new card
February 3, 2013 11:49:51 PM

burntpizza said:
plus AMD has a new game bundle, so you get crysis 3 and tomb raider? I think. When you get a new card

Nope im getting mine from amazon dont care about new games, i know it seems stupid but i trust amazon and thats worth more than 3 games
a c 161 U Graphics card
February 3, 2013 11:50:41 PM

myuserok said:
Oh wow these are really good scores how high is the card overclocked on the benchmarks?
It says 850/925
And is 2560x1600 two screens?


Yes the card in the bench is clocked at 850MHz with a 925Hmz Boost clock.
The Vapor-x has a stock of 850MHz and an automatic boost clock to 950MHz.

2560*1600 is one screen above HD resolution, you can not game on 2 screens, 3 would work.

Imagine gaming on two monitors, where would the middle of the display be?
a c 161 U Graphics card
February 3, 2013 11:53:05 PM

myuserok said:
Nope im getting mine from amazon dont care about new games, i know it seems stupid but i trust amazon and thats worth more than 3 games


Are you in the US? if you are, you can trust Newegg entirely. They really are the best site to purchase from.
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2013 12:53:52 AM

With current price/performance and game bundle its AMD's game right now
February 7, 2013 8:49:02 AM

GTX660Ti go for it.
February 7, 2013 8:49:09 AM

GTX660Ti go for it.
February 8, 2013 2:44:01 AM

Novuake said:
Are you in the US? if you are, you can trust Newegg entirely. They really are the best site to purchase from.

nope sadly they dont ship to uk i would use them if they did
February 8, 2013 2:45:53 AM

Novuake said:
Are you in the US? if you are, you can trust Newegg entirely. They really are the best site to purchase from.

I think im going to buy the vapor x providing its in stock by march on amazon
February 8, 2013 5:00:53 AM

Good thing I spotted this thread because I was planning to get Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 7950 3GB myself too.

Novuake, my question is will that card work on my current motherboard, MSI NF750-G55 AM3? Reason why I asked is because the PCI-E bus slot. Card itself is 3.0 and the board is 2.0.

I want to double check before I process my purchase. Thank you.
a c 161 U Graphics card
February 8, 2013 7:03:35 AM

joshnut said:
Good thing I spotted this thread because I was planning to get Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 7950 3GB myself too.

Novuake, my question is will that card work on my current motherboard, MSI NF750-G55 AM3? Reason why I asked is because the PCI-E bus slot. Card itself is 3.0 and the board is 2.0.

I want to double check before I process my purchase. Thank you.


Next time start your own thread or use the search. :) 

PCI-e3.0 cards will work in 2.1 or 2.0 perfectly. It is fully backwards compatible. You won't even lose performance.

So yeah, go ahead and get it.
February 8, 2013 7:48:49 PM

^+1. I have a 7950 vapor x in my pci-e 2.0 and works great
a c 82 U Graphics card
February 8, 2013 8:05:49 PM

vapor-x for the win. 7950 better gpu and deal for ur money than 660ti. and vapor-x is one of the top cooling solutions

May 12, 2013 12:00:08 AM

Comparing old benchmarks is useless, the newest drivers have fixed a lot of the smooth gameplay issues (crossfire problems were just fixed a couple weeks ago so no reviewers have even done them) and most of these benchmarks are from over 6months ago when ATI was well behind Nvidia due to driver problems.

Use this for comparison, it's an unbiased forum member who has put a lot of time and effort into his thread. Not to mention he's college educated in the stuff. It's on Unigine's Valley benchmark which is pretty much unbiased, so unbiased results with unbiased software.

Top 30 Unigine Valley
The 660ti isn't even comparable to the 7950 anymore especially when overclocked, 660ti is about like the newer released 7870XT models.



I love Nvidia and ATI but Nvidia was to overpriced when it came to price vs performance..


a c 161 U Graphics card
May 12, 2013 4:07:12 AM

iceclock said:
vapor-x for the win. 7950 better gpu and deal for ur money than 660ti. and vapor-x is one of the top cooling solutions



Dual-X is better, the Vapor-x is voltage locked and has crappy VRMs.
!