Sign in with
Your question

Installing new driver for XFX AMD Radeon 6870 causes Windows to freeze

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 3, 2013 11:53:42 PM

Hello fellow PC enthusiasts.
I've been building my first computer build and I've come across a problem.
After going through a painful process of RMA's, I've gotten my computer to POST, installed windows, and I am ready to play and use my computer to it's fullest.
So like a normal gamer would do, I went to install my drivers for my 6870 card. After trying with the online download of the Catalyst Suite, downloading the driver directly from Window's update, and using the disc given all separately, I always come to the same end result.
After rebooting the computer following the installation of the driver, my computer boots up, gets to Windows desktop, and then proceeds to give a black or blue screen with any sound playing starts to loop.
This also occurs when I tried to boot up a game or change Window's theme to Aero. The blue screen isn't a BSOD, however, but a blue colored screen with lines running down the side vertically.
After running system restore and even reformatting my hard drives and re-installing Windows, I get back to square 1. My system doesn't crash during safe mode or when I don't have my driver installed.
This is really frustrating as I was really excited to play my games I've been waiting to play for a while now.
Any help would be appreciated.

SPECS:
AMD Phenom II x4 965 cpu
XFX AMD HD Radeon 6870 gpu
Thermaltake TR2 600w psu
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 motherboard
Windows 7 Home Premium OEM edition
Corsair Vengance 8GB RAM 2x4

Ask me for any additional information!
February 4, 2013 1:18:54 AM

CraftyBooze said:
Hello fellow PC enthusiasts.
I've been building my first computer build and I've come across a problem.
After going through a painful process of RMA's, I've gotten my computer to POST, installed windows, and I am ready to play and use my computer to it's fullest.
So like a normal gamer would do, I went to install my drivers for my 6870 card. After trying with the online download of the Catalyst Suite, downloading the driver directly from Window's update, and using the disc given all separately, I always come to the same end result.
After rebooting the computer following the installation of the driver, my computer boots up, gets to Windows desktop, and then proceeds to give a black or blue screen with any sound playing starts to loop.
This also occurs when I tried to boot up a game or change Window's theme to Aero. The blue screen isn't a BSOD, however, but a blue colored screen with lines running down the side vertically.
After running system restore and even reformatting my hard drives and re-installing Windows, I get back to square 1. My system doesn't crash during safe mode or when I don't have my driver installed.
This is really frustrating as I was really excited to play my games I've been waiting to play for a while now.
Any help would be appreciated.

SPECS:
AMD Phenom II x4 965 cpu
XFX AMD HD Radeon 6870 gpu
Thermaltake TR2 600w psu
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 motherboard
Windows 7 Home Premium OEM edition
Corsair Vengance 8GB RAM 2x4

Ask me for any additional information!

You should RMA the card. Power supply is good, processor seems okay. Can you test the card in another computer ? If you can get to boot and install the update, it might be something defective in your system.

- The Brownie

- The Brownie
m
l
February 4, 2013 1:51:09 AM

Bromeh said:
You should RMA the card. Power supply is good, processor seems okay. Can you test the card in another computer ? If you can get to boot and install the update, it might be something defective in your system.

- The Brownie

- The Brownie

The problem is that it's been over 30 days since purchase and Newegg doesn't let me return it :/ 
You sure that is the problem? I'm really unsure about trying to return it. I'll get back and see if I can test the card somewhere else.
m
l
February 4, 2013 1:56:02 AM

CraftyBooze said:
The problem is that it's been over 30 days since purchase and Newegg doesn't let me return it :/ 
You sure that is the problem? I'm really unsure about trying to return it. I'll get back and see if I can test the card somewhere else.

Yeah try the card at first. If it's not working on any other computer RMA it (if you can).

- The Brownie
m
l
Related resources
!