Which N router....

Daemon

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Hi folks,

I am delving into the realms of getting a new router. Currently I have a BT Business Hub (ADSL2) which is a little lacking and I need to upgrade. I have been looking at the netgear DGND3700 and Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H. On my network i have a nas, several computers and laptops and a gigabit switch. The internet is heavily used and we also stream HD over the network.

So my question is what does the comunity think would be a good buy? I have noticed that the cable routers seem to be getting faster (N900) were as the ADSL seem to be lagging behind, is it worth waiting for things like the E4200v2 in ASDL flavour?

I would like to keep the cost to around 100quid (UK)

all opinions welcome!

thanks

no new router will improve your internet speed since it is controlled by your ISP

the only thing that will improve is you local network speed: therefore, it might be adequate to just use a AP with a 10/100/1000 port

of the two listed I would choose the Netgear

Daemon

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
sorry yes i realise that but its the internals ie streaming. So yes an AP would be ok however you would still have the wirless element being the bottleneck...id cat5 the house if i could!

I have tried streaming HD using a Ryan PlayON but when streaming HD it struggles sometimes especially when everyone else is wireless.

I think im leaning towards the netgear though....

youneek28

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
ok I just have a general question and I am not at all a network guy. The N wireless routers say they are good for speeds up to 300mps. I read the above comment about it all depends on your service. I have cable Internet which for what I know doesn't have speeds that high. Im ok with the speed I do have, so is there any point in upgrading my router from my linksys BEFW11S4 wireless-B for some kind of N router? If so what are the benefits to doing it. I currently have 3 laptops but not used at the same time and 2 tv's one hooked up via ethernet and the other wireless. The wireless tv buffers a good bit on netflix. Is there a need to get a N type router?

Thanks
Jacob

wireless B-network is max 11Mb/s if that.

wireless G-network is max 56Mb/s if that. my G connects at 36Mb/s

wireless N-network is max 450Mb/s. fastest I have seen is 120Mb/s

That said you might seen an improvement upgrading to a N-router

youneek28

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
Thanks, now that I know its worth doing, which one should I get. I have always had linksys but if there is something better and a little cheaper that would be ok as well,