Why aren't monitors using triangular pixel layouts?

1zacster

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2012
so I bought a westinghouse 1080p 40" 120hz display for gaming and I didn't realize that it had a triangular layout (meaning the RGB of each pixel isn't in stripes like a normal display) at first non gaming it looked terrible. The damn thing couldn't show very sharp lines that are at 90 degree angles. However when gaming it is a master at showing angles at 45 degrees or inbetween. I turned AA on and off in games and it looks the same, nice edges on stuff. Why aren't most displays like this?

G

Small market! Most gamers will not just game! but use PC for various other uses, and honestly, a good GPU screen and CPU and AA takes care of jaggies anyways.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
Most people don't use PCs for gaming Only. Like moricon said, it's a small market. The big market is the businesses that use computers for every day use, You ever watch the show, "The Office" that right there is an example of the big market lol, every cubicle has a desktop PC. And it's not used for gaming. Usually. Everyone cares about typing and like a quarter of the market is gaming. That's like asking, "Why doesn't everyone use 120Hz monitors as opposed to 60Hz monitors?" Because of the lack of demand. 120Hz monitors are expensive for a reason.

1zacster

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2012

but damn are they smooth :p

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

I played a console on a TV with triangle lay out. It wasn't that bad for gaming, I could imagine the effect it'd have on a PC gamer who does web browsing. :eek: it'd be bad for that lol :lol:

1zacster

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2012

Well I mean it looks fine even at web browsing. As long as you have set blacks to low (both in tv and nvidia settings) text is fine. Oh and stuff is only jagged up close. Maybe in the future when ultra high dense displays are the norm this will be used more.

Console games enlarge text a lot to make up for how poorly they display text. Playing an RPG that was designed for PC is horrible on a TV. Playing a console port on a PC shows differences as well, as all the text is huge and blocky, probably as a result of knowing how poorly normal text shows up on a TV.

1zacster

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2012

Really? text on the display isn't "sharp" but rather "smooth" and when gaming it is pretty much identical to a normal lcd.

1zacster

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2012

Maybe in the future when ultra dense displays are standard it will become more common.