Sign in with
Your question

Why aren't monitors using triangular pixel layouts?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 4, 2013 2:24:49 AM

so I bought a westinghouse 1080p 40" 120hz display for gaming and I didn't realize that it had a triangular layout (meaning the RGB of each pixel isn't in stripes like a normal display) at first non gaming it looked terrible. The damn thing couldn't show very sharp lines that are at 90 degree angles. However when gaming it is a master at showing angles at 45 degrees or inbetween. I turned AA on and off in games and it looks the same, nice edges on stuff. Why aren't most displays like this?
February 4, 2013 2:34:40 AM

Because of the first stated reason.
February 4, 2013 6:47:56 AM

griptwister said:
Because of the first stated reason.

Well I mean why not make them specifically *for* gaming?
Related resources
Anonymous
February 4, 2013 7:31:07 AM

Small market! Most gamers will not just game! but use PC for various other uses, and honestly, a good GPU screen and CPU and AA takes care of jaggies anyways.
February 4, 2013 7:11:10 PM

Most people don't use PCs for gaming Only. Like moricon said, it's a small market. The big market is the businesses that use computers for every day use, You ever watch the show, "The Office" that right there is an example of the big market lol, every cubicle has a desktop PC. And it's not used for gaming. Usually. Everyone cares about typing and like a quarter of the market is gaming. That's like asking, "Why doesn't everyone use 120Hz monitors as opposed to 60Hz monitors?" Because of the lack of demand. 120Hz monitors are expensive for a reason.
February 5, 2013 6:57:00 AM

griptwister said:
Most people don't use PCs for gaming Only. Like moricon said, it's a small market. The big market is the businesses that use computers for every day use, You ever watch the show, "The Office" that right there is an example of the big market lol, every cubicle has a desktop PC. And it's not used for gaming. Usually. Everyone cares about typing and like a quarter of the market is gaming. That's like asking, "Why doesn't everyone use 120Hz monitors as opposed to 60Hz monitors?" Because of the lack of demand. 120Hz monitors are expensive for a reason.

but damn are they smooth :p 
February 5, 2013 7:16:31 PM

1zacster said:
but damn are they smooth :p 

Ain't that the truth! Haha! I wish more company's would feature this in all their LCD monitors... that way we can all get the liquid smooth movement.
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a c 122 C Monitor
February 5, 2013 7:36:53 PM

Have you tried playing RPG's on a TV with a triangle layout? They may blur the edges of everything to reduce jaggies, but reading text is awful. It takes console style text to read, which means very large lettering.
February 6, 2013 4:32:50 AM

bystander said:
Have you tried playing RPG's on a TV with a triangle layout? They may blur the edges of everything to reduce jaggies, but reading text is awful. It takes console style text to read, which means very large lettering.

I played a console on a TV with triangle lay out. It wasn't that bad for gaming, I could imagine the effect it'd have on a PC gamer who does web browsing. :o  it'd be bad for that lol :lol: 
February 6, 2013 4:45:29 AM

griptwister said:
I played a console on a TV with triangle lay out. It wasn't that bad for gaming, I could imagine the effect it'd have on a PC gamer who does web browsing. :o  it'd be bad for that lol :lol: 

Well I mean it looks fine even at web browsing. As long as you have set blacks to low (both in tv and nvidia settings) text is fine. Oh and stuff is only jagged up close. Maybe in the future when ultra high dense displays are the norm this will be used more.
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a c 122 C Monitor
February 6, 2013 6:17:47 AM

griptwister said:

Console games enlarge text a lot to make up for how poorly they display text. Playing an RPG that was designed for PC is horrible on a TV. Playing a console port on a PC shows differences as well, as all the text is huge and blocky, probably as a result of knowing how poorly normal text shows up on a TV.
February 7, 2013 11:18:53 PM

bystander said:
Console games enlarge text a lot to make up for how poorly they display text. Playing an RPG that was designed for PC is horrible on a TV. Playing a console port on a PC shows differences as well, as all the text is huge and blocky, probably as a result of knowing how poorly normal text shows up on a TV.

Really? text on the display isn't "sharp" but rather "smooth" and when gaming it is pretty much identical to a normal lcd.
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a c 122 C Monitor
February 7, 2013 11:21:41 PM

1zacster said:
Really? text on the display isn't "sharp" but rather "smooth" and when gaming it is pretty much identical to a normal lcd.

I don't know what TV's you use, but the LCD's I've used, do not handle PC text very well at all.
a c 355 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a c 193 C Monitor
February 8, 2013 12:35:37 AM

I wouldn't buy anything with a triangular pixel layout if I'm going to be using for reading of any sort. So if a monitor, laptop screen, smartphone or tablet had a LCD panel with triangular pixels they would automatically be on my "BANNED LIST".
February 11, 2013 11:03:18 PM

bystander said:
I don't know what TV's you use, but the LCD's I've used, do not handle PC text very well at all.

Maybe in the future when ultra dense displays are standard it will become more common.
!