Sign in with
Your question

plextor vs yamaha

Last response: in Storage
March 12, 2002 11:52:41 PM

i'm about to order a cdrw and after some research, i've narrowed it down to either a 40x12x40 plextor or a 24x10x40 yamaha. even though the plextor is 40x, the specs for the yamaha says that it burns cds faster. also yamaha has the audio master feature which is supposed to make burned cd's sound even better than the original. which one is better?

More about : plextor yamaha

March 13, 2002 3:49:32 AM

I have the Yamaha CRW3200E and its sweet. Very quiet, fast and the Audio Master Quality Recording is great! You will be able to record just 63 minutes of music on a disk instead of 74 minutes but the quality is excellent.
I have also heard great feedback on the Plextor so either one would be a good choice.

:smile: <font color=blue><b>You get what you pay for...all advice here is free.</b></font color=blue> :smile:
March 13, 2002 6:11:47 PM

I own a couple of models from Plextor and Yahmaha. Both put out a good burner. I have the 24x beast from Yahmaha - runs like a dream.

Just be careful if you have WinXP and an older CD burning software. XP doesn't provide legacy support and tends to corrupt optical disk drives even when the burning software is uninstalled.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 14, 2002 12:59:25 PM

Go for the Plextor. It also has an audio feature and it probably is fastar than Yamaha. I have one 40x (just upgraded from the faithful 12x) and it is greeeat.

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise
March 14, 2002 3:01:40 PM

Well, that 40X...is it even a real number? My 24X plextor can burn a full 700MB data cd in less than 4 minutes, and the 40X tests show it to be just over 3 minutes, so the multiplier doesn't seem to be very accurate. As for Yamaha vs. Plextor, that is too close to have any real preference in my opinion. Yamaha has some nice features, and generally just a hair faster, but the differences are very minimal. Take yer pick, I think you'll be happy with either one (I would go for the Yamaha, but that's because I already have a Plextor).

If I don't get my 90THz AMD Quadraplex system soon, I'm afraid I may just combust right here.
March 14, 2002 9:04:07 PM

The plextor doesn't start burning at 40x. It takes a couple of stages to reach 40x. It starts to burn at a slower speed, then starts to burn faster and faster reaching 40x.

<i>It is not illegal until you get caught! :wink: </i>
March 16, 2002 12:12:39 PM

I have the Yamaha CRW 2100E, and its fine. 16/10/40 seems fast enough for now. 16x media prices are getting better these days.

Oldbear?

Did you get software called "Take Two" with your CD/RW?

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>
March 16, 2002 4:50:34 PM

Take 2 for roxio 5.x is a horror show at one time during the eary stages of 5.x release even roxio advised against installing .. it cause major non-boot and bsod problems

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue>
March 16, 2002 9:20:52 PM

Quote:
Did you get software called "Take Two" with your CD/RW?

Yes I did. Tried it and uninstalled it. A big headache and didn't have time to work with it.
You try it?

:smile: <font color=blue><b>You get what you pay for...all advice here is free.</b></font color=blue> :smile:
March 16, 2002 11:23:47 PM

Certainly did. Had about as much luck as you. Apparently Yamaha tech support recommend not using it?????

So I heard anyway. Why supply duff software? I use Drive Image now.

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>
March 17, 2002 12:18:40 AM

Does Drive Image work ok?

March 17, 2002 10:22:26 AM

Well I have versions 4.0, 5.0 & 5.01 and I use 4 at the moment. Didn't have much luck with five, although others have. Haven't tried 5.01 yet.

As far as Drive Image 4.0 goes, I've never had a problem with it creating or restoring an image <b>to another part of my hard drive</b>, but straight to a CD...nope. Maybe its becuase of drivers, as it needs to reboot because it works in DOS.

As it is, I copy an image of the drive in question, and then drag n' drop to a CD, if the image isn't too large.

I believe its also possible to add and remove files from an image, but I've not had much reason to do this.

If your image is say 2.5GB, and your partition in total is 5GB, you configure it to only copy the data. Also its best to restore an image to the same size partition as it came from, or you end up with unallocated disk space.

It has a disk to disk option too.

Back-ups take from 5 mins and 30 mins (subject to data quantity, drive speed and settings)

Restores take from 3 mins to 30 mins (same reasons).

The 5 & 3 mins ones relate to my system (RAID 0, no error control or verification, fast restores, 2.2GB of data). The others relate to single ATA/66 drives (up to 3.5GB of data).

March 17, 2002 2:23:22 PM

I have trouble with my Easy CD Creator... I Stuck with Nero and works like a Charm...burn's everything fine..although i've been hearing many raves about the CloneCD maybe i'll give that a try..

Once you go AMD, You never Go back!!
March 17, 2002 2:26:07 PM

If im not gonna buy a CD-RW till June... what will the Speed Be 50X..., do they make CD-R's with more than 700MB 80min... I have a 8x cd-r.. and i use Verbatim Cd-r's i think there 8X and i use Musicmatch to burn cd's and it goes veryfast... will it be like super fast with a 40X drive

March 17, 2002 10:32:28 PM

For the current prices of media, 8x disks are the best speed vs price.

March 18, 2002 3:23:56 AM

Yes, there are 800MB discs out there. They ain't cheap, though, considering how little more you get, but some DVD's just won't rip right and get under 700MB, so for them files, you need a few 800's laying around. Check out Shop4Tech's website. I've ordered two 100 packs of CD's from them, and have been more than happy with my purchase. They are DIRT CHEAP. If you know somewhere cheaper (and reliable), let us know.

And yes, Orbz, I know...none of the CD's start burning at full throttle. But that's just it. Even spending the first 10% getting up to speed, the difference between 24X and 40X should be more than 30-40 seconds.

If I don't get my 90THz AMD Quadraplex system soon, I'm afraid I may just combust right here.
March 18, 2002 12:50:44 PM

what brand and type of CD's did you order off that site... Plextor or TDK veloCD ?? Which one

!