How run run Chkdsk f.

Marchell

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
When I try and Disk defrag a message comes up..."Disk degramenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume C:/f. (C:). Please run Chkdsk /f. " What is this and where and how do I run this? I have trying everything. But I am pretty Computer dumb.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
1.Click the Windows "Start" menu on the desktop and click "Run" (Windows XP) or "Start Search" (Windows Vista or 7).

2.Type "regedit" in the search box and press "Enter" to launch the registry.

3.Click "+" under the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" folder to expand it. Click the "SYSTEM" folder and click the "CurrentControlSet" folder. Click the "Control" folder, then click the "Session Manager" folder.

4.Double-click "BootExecute" on the right pane. You should see the default value of the key set as autocheck autochk * (With asterisk). The asterisk (*) means Windows checks every drive for consistency. Add "/K:C" to the end of the autocheck autochk * After the addition, the final value should look like this : autocheck autochk /k:C *

5.Click "File" and click "Exit" to close the registry. Restart your computer. The disk check no longer launches at computer start up.

Microsoft.com

If it did not autorun, try to tell it to do chkdsk again

Hit start and search for "cmd"

Right click it and select "Run as administrator"
This will give you an old fashioned command prompt window.
In that window you can just type it as you see "chkdsk c: /f"

If you have more then one drive or partition, you will need to tell it the disk(chkdsk d: /f).

If it is the primary windows disk(c:) it will ask you to schedule it for next boot. When you restart, it will do a chkdsk for you before even getting to the login screen.

If all goes well, you will be able to defrag, but be warned, the latest windows defrag is VERY slow. Something like Defraggler will work much faster and do as good of a job.

Its FREE :)
http://www.piriform.com/defraggler