Sign in with
Your question

Problems during gaming. Faulty video card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 4, 2013 3:34:49 AM

Hello everyone!

I built my rig 5 days ago, but I played for the first time 2 days ago. While I was playing Skyrim, the screen went black for less than a second and then it returned to normal. I ignored it, but it happened again 5 minutes after that, so I stopped playing.

Yesterday, I wanted to play Skyrim again and while I was playing, the screen went black again, but for 3 seconds and with a green horizontal line on the screen. Fearing it would happen again, I stopped playing Skyrim and while I was on Google Chrome, it happened again. This time, it was not one green horizontal line, but all the screen with green and black squares!
I turned off the pc, removed the card and then, put it again. I turned on the pc and ran 3DMark11 with no problems.

Today, I played Skyrim for an hour, until I saw a medium white horizontal line without a black screen.

I don't know what happens, my drivers are the most recent ones from AMD (catalyst 13.1). What should I do? Does this mean I have to get an RMA?
I installed MSi Kombustor and I'm thinking to run a GPU Burn-in test. Should I run it?

This is my rig:
Intel i5 3570K @3.4GHz
Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
Corsair Vengeance 4GB @ 1333MHz (will try XMP later)
MSi Radeon HD 7850 Twin Frozr III 2GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Seasonic M12II Bronze 620W
WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Thank you for your help!
February 5, 2013 12:04:06 PM

try getting drivers from msi website
i guess that might work out with your issue
cause for my xfx hd5770, i used ati drivers and found it was not ideal
and xfx drivers were slightly more tailored for my card

and give more cooling too

good luck
m
l