Need to buy wireless router, any recommendation?

Leon Hart

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Hi guys,

I need to buy a wireless router that has a very long range signal. My current router is in another room which is 100 ft away from my computer and it catches only one or two bars of signal. I have a Charter cable internet and my speed is around 25-30 Mbps when i hook up the computer directly to the router using a CAT 5 cable. When i connect my computer in my room (100 ft away) via wireless access point i only have around 4-5 Mbps. So i assume that because the signal is weak so does the internet speed. I want to buy a new one to replace the current one but i need a router that could transfer the signal in the long range. Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

Amazon.com or New Egg is my preference store.

PS: I'm using a Linksys 54Mbps by the way (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190)

OKIjby

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
I had a recent bad experience with the Cisco Linksys E4200. See my post "Router Problems" but it could have been an interface or configuration issue with my fiber modem here in Japan. I have my router on the second floor of my home and my laptop on the first floor. Both the E4200 and the Netgear N600 I'm using now provide "Excellent" signal strength and data rates (144Mbps) in my home. I'm not an Expert so take my experience for what it is worth.

Leon Hart

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Thank you for your information. Netgear is a very good brand. But i've just ordered a Linksys E1500 2.4GHz Wireless-N Router with SpeedBoost IEEE 802.11b/g/n, let see how it perform. Thanks again guys.

TRENDING THREADS