GPU/mobo compatibility

From what I understand as long as a motherboard has the appropriate PCI slot any graphics card is compatible as long as you have a good enough PSU to support everything. For example I have a pegatron truckee mobo with a PCIe 2.0 slot. I know a new gtx 660ti that is PCIe 3.0 compatible will also work in my PCIe 2.0 mobo since my PSU is easily good enough to handle it. But if I buy an overclocked edition is there any risk of using my older mobo with the newer GPU that is an overclocked edition? I do feel like my mobo is on its last legs, but I was hoping to use it for a while with a new gtx 660ti until I upgrade to a haswell compatible motherboard.
8 answers Last reply
More about mobo compatibility
  1. Oc is irrelevant to compatibility. Last legs as in dying or you think it is bottlenecking? Because pcie 2.0 will not be an issue for a while. It doesn't affect performance of a 680 or 7970. And even on a 690 most games are not affected, at least at 1080p or 1600p. What cpu do you have?
  2. k1114 said:
    Oc is irrelevant to compatibility. Last legs as in dying or you think it is bottlenecking? Because pcie 2.0 will not be an issue for a while. It doesn't affect performance of a 680 or 7970. And even on a 690 most games are not affected, at least at 1080p or 1600p. What cpu do you have?

Last legs as in I feel like if I overburden it with a new high powered GPU it may overwhelm it. I don't know if that makes sense since the PSU is what is powering the GPU, but I figure since the GPU is plugged into the mobo it must have some relevance. I have a bloomfield i-7 920 @ 2.6ghz.
  3. Pcie is limited to 75w thus the need for external power connections. You are worrying about something totally irrelevant.
  4. yea you will be fine with a 660Ti in your motherboard. It won't affect performance if at all I people get maybe 2 percent increased performance on a 3.0 board+Ivy Bridge CPU. You have no need to worry :) Plug and Play and happy gaming!
  5. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI-Express_Scaling/23.html I would say 0%. Any performance issues would be from the cpu.
  6. More then likely yes the GPU's that are coming out now are becoming increasingly more dependent on whether or not your CPU can work with the GPU efficiently.
  7. I wouldn't say working with it effectively but having enough performance to not hold it back.
  8. Right! Yea that is what I was trying to convey just a sign of the times though right? CPU's are getting to the point where they are really testing the laws of Physics.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Compatibility Motherboards Graphics