Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Graphics Card Drivers causing Windows to not boot! HELP!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 4, 2013 12:20:04 PM

Hello,

So I recently built my first PC. But am having problems booting into Windows 7; as the Windows logo will just freeze after its glowing/animation.

The card is a HIS HD Radeon 7770. And my parts are all compatible with each other.

I am able to boot into safemode. And while uninstalling the drivers will allow me to boot properly; when I go to install the latest drivers (or previous versions) and reboot the system will just do the same.

In addition to fixing this I had formatted my HDD and did a clean install of Windows 7(32-bit).

I need URGENT help with this issue! Thanks in advance! :sweat: 

Specs:
Gigabyte H77 D3H-MVP
Intel i3 3220
HIS Radeon HD 7770
Corsair 4GB DDR3 Memory
WD Black 1TB
ThermalTake 500W PSU
a b \ Driver
February 4, 2013 12:26:31 PM

Could be a bad video card I have seen a bad video cards cause this same issue, but it could also be that the video card isnt getting power. Since you have done a clean reinstall, i doubt its a software issue. What happens if you remove the card and use the integrated video?
Score
a b \ Driver
February 4, 2013 1:08:18 PM

did you install the mvp software that bonds the intel gpu to the gpu installed in the system?? it know to lock up windows. start with a new build make sure the mb bios is up to date and has all the bug fixes. then install the newest intel chipset drivers and then reboot.
Score
Related resources
a b \ Driver
February 4, 2013 1:17:19 PM

Start with re-seating the card in the slot. It's sometimes as simple as that.
Score
February 4, 2013 2:08:50 PM

xdomokunn said:
Hello,

So I recently built my first PC. But am having problems booting into Windows 7; as the Windows logo will just freeze after its glowing/animation.

The card is a HIS HD Radeon 7770. And my parts are all compatible with each other.

I am able to boot into safemode. And while uninstalling the drivers will allow me to boot properly; when I go to install the latest drivers (or previous versions) and reboot the system will just do the same.

In addition to fixing this I had formatted my HDD and did a clean install of Windows 7(32-bit).

I need URGENT help with this issue! Thanks in advance! :sweat: 

Specs:
Gigabyte H77 D3H-MVP
Intel i3 3220
HIS Radeon HD 7770
Corsair 4GB DDR3 Memory
WD Black 1TB
ThermalTake 500W PSU

On the screen for safe mode there should be an option to load windows with the driver signature enforcement disabled option. Try that, its worked for me in the past.

PS: You may have to go to advanced options from the safe mode screen to get this option to come up. Sounds like you may be tring to load a beta driver. If so, after you get into windows try installing the latest WHQL driver. That one should work.
Score
February 5, 2013 4:02:10 AM

bignastyid said:
Could be a bad video card I have seen a bad video cards cause this same issue, but it could also be that the video card isnt getting power. Since you have done a clean reinstall, i doubt its a software issue. What happens if you remove the card and use the integrated video?

I am running it on intergrated graphics, and have been since the issue started. Its working just fine.
Score
February 5, 2013 4:03:01 AM

noidea_77 said:
Start with re-seating the card in the slot. It's sometimes as simple as that.

Have tried that multiple times, with no avail.
Score
a b \ Driver
February 5, 2013 5:34:46 AM

make sure the mb bios is up to date the z77 mb have lots of bug fixes.
Score
February 7, 2013 5:53:56 AM

sincreator said:
On the screen for safe mode there should be an option to load windows with the driver signature enforcement disabled option. Try that, its worked for me in the past.

PS: You may have to go to advanced options from the safe mode screen to get this option to come up. Sounds like you may be tring to load a beta driver. If so, after you get into windows try installing the latest WHQL driver. That one should work.

Hey mate, just given that a go. Still nothings happening. I am trying to use the latest; non-beta driver. I really need help!
Thanks!
Score
February 7, 2013 8:11:54 AM

Install the drivers first ( without CCC ) and see if this helps.

For this, open Device Manager with Admin privileges and find your display adapter and update driver. Then manually show the path to the driver files directory. This is normally the directory that is created when you click/double-click the big exe file you have downloaded from AMD.

When you double-click the big exe file, it asks you where to extract the files, normally, C:\AMD\13-1....\ where C: is your system drive. The drivers are in one of the folders under C:\AMD\ sometimes C:\ATI\

If you point to C:\AMD, Windows will find the drivers.

This way you will know if it is the drivers that cause Windows lockup or the software Catalyst Control Center and its startup elements.
Score
February 8, 2013 11:22:34 AM

suat said:
Install the drivers first ( without CCC ) and see if this helps.

For this, open Device Manager with Admin privileges and find your display adapter and update driver. Then manually show the path to the driver files directory. This is normally the directory that is created when you click/double-click the big exe file you have downloaded from AMD.

When you double-click the big exe file, it asks you where to extract the files, normally, C:\AMD\13-1....\ where C: is your system drive. The drivers are in one of the folders under C:\AMD\ sometimes C:\ATI\

If you point to C:\AMD, Windows will find the drivers.

This way you will know if it is the drivers that cause Windows lockup or the software Catalyst Control Center and its startup elements.

Thanks for your advice! Just given that a go, but still nothing. Anything else I could try?
Thanks again!
Score
February 8, 2013 11:48:49 PM

If it helps, I've just tried my old graphics card; a Nvidia GeForce 9400GT. And its working just fine..
Score
February 15, 2013 8:27:56 PM

I just dealt with this, and was starting to believe the bad hardware theory, and as a last ditch effort allowed windows update to install the video driver that came up in the optional updates section. This worked for me - your mileage may vary.

As a rule, I never let windows update drivers. But this was a last ditch attempt.
Score
February 16, 2013 12:38:00 AM

slym said:
I just dealt with this, and was starting to believe the bad hardware theory, and as a last ditch effort allowed windows update to install the video driver that came up in the optional updates section. This worked for me - your mileage may vary.

As a rule, I never let windows update drivers. But this was a last ditch attempt.

Thanks man, about to give it a go. I hope this works, as I'm not keen on doing an RMA:\
Score
a b \ Driver
February 16, 2013 1:50:39 AM

did you update the mb bios??
Score
February 16, 2013 2:26:52 AM

smorizio said:
did you update the mb bios??

Yes I did. Sorry about that. Still no luck though. Just sent an RMA ticket, hopefully it goes through.
Score

Best solution

February 17, 2013 5:28:02 AM

Have you tried the most recent beta driver? http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/amd_catalyst_13_2_d... I'm currently running this driver, and it seems to be really stable. I know it's a long shot, but after all the great suggestons from everyone, I don't really know what else to tell you. Maybe run driver sweeper and remove all AMD drivers and then install the 13.2 beta 5 driver. The chipset drivers are included in the package for the beta as well. Here is a link for driver sweeper: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4266-driver-sweeper.h...
March 10, 2013 11:51:51 AM

Best answer selected by xdomokunn.
Score
!