Question about wireless routers

Sightless

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
I'm hoping to set up a wireless network in my apartment be use with a PS3 and a laptop. However I am hoping to still use wired connections for my desktop and my roommates desktop. I bought a router a couple of months ago and hooked everything up and the wireless portion seemed to work great. However both my roommate and I noticed that our desktop connection speeds were slowing way down and in some cases webpages would take up to 2-3 minutes to load. I average about 1.8 mb/s so this seemed odd. I am wonder if wireless routers inherently slow down wired connections or if it just depends on the router I get. I returned the old router because of those issues but now I am considering it again. Obviously I don't know much about this so any information would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

eric79xxl

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
^ what ngrego said is all true.
also, you could have had a bad network cable going to one of your desktops.

u mentioned apartment - you DEFINATELY need to setup a wifi password

1.8MB or 1.8Mb /second (there's a big difference)
1.8MB would be a very good speed, while 1.8Mb would be a very poor speed.

Sightless

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
I am pretty sure it is 1.8 MB. It is far faster than other connections I have seen in my area. I did have a password on it however it is possible that a bad network cable is to blame. I'll have to investigate that possibility.