Linn Karik problem?

Tags:
Last response: in Home Audio
August 7, 2004 9:05:32 PM

My Linn Karik (could be 15 years or more old now) has developed a problem -
intermittant failure to engage the CD once 'play' is pressed. Any
suggestions?

It spins up (I can hear it) and seems to seek the disc start, but then after
a while (~20sec) it 'gives up' and then the display reverts to '00'.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Nick

More about : linn karik problem

Anonymous
August 8, 2004 1:06:52 AM

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 17:05:32 GMT, "Jobelisk"
<R_E-M_O-V_Epsychofest@yahoo.com> wrote:

>My Linn Karik (could be 15 years or more old now) has developed a problem -
>intermittant failure to engage the CD once 'play' is pressed. Any
>suggestions?
>
>It spins up (I can hear it) and seems to seek the disc start, but then after
>a while (~20sec) it 'gives up' and then the display reverts to '00'.
>
>Any ideas?

Get a cheap Sony or something with the features you require. Just
think of it as a stand-by unit until the Linn is fixed. Can you
REALLY hear the difference?
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 1:06:53 AM

Yes, the difference in performance is big, in spite of the Karik's age.

It's most likely that a particular electrolytic cap on the main board has
gone bad . When this cap goes bad, it allows noise on the laser output line
and she won't play. It's a somewhat common failure. I cannot remember
exactly which cap, I think it's either C10, C11, or C14, so you'll likely
have to replace all the electrolytic caps on the main board (except for the
main power supply caps, they'll be fine). There are not that many, so there
won't be much extra cost in replacing ones that don't really need it.

!