DVI to HDMI no sound

kenan008

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
Hello, I have recently bought a DVI to HDMI adapter and I just can't get the sound working.

In control panel it says it's "not plugged in"

The adapter is DVI - D single link (some cheap one I got in the near by hardware store)

I have Radeon HD 4850 1gb gigabyte edition (OCed ~ 20%)

I tried reinstalling just about every driver in my PC and every single driver is up to date, I also searched a lot on google.

My main question is, what kind of adapter should I buy, because the one I have right now is not working.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
False guys.
You can get dvi to pass sound through an adapter to hdmi.
Please refer to this forum
Quote k1114 " Dvi can actually output an hdmi signal which supports audio. But the dvi signal does not support audio. This works on both nvidia and amd cards. It depends if your card is capable. Any of the data pins can send a digital signal of any type (but keep in mind it needs to be dvi compliant), it's what creates the signal that is the issue. Different types of dvi is also irrelevant as this is just the number of pins (except for dvi-a since it needs to be digital).

You sure did edit your post many times. Nvidia actually started doing this in the 200 series and ati with the 3000 series. "
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/373160-33-sound-hdmi

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Features specific to HDMI, such as remote-control, audio transport, xvYCC, and deep-color, are not usable in devices that only support DVI signalling. However, many devices can output HDMI over a DVI output (examples: ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series video cards),[7] and some multimedia displays accept HDMI (including audio) over a DVI input. Exact capabilities vary from product to product.

Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

@OP make sure you have the proper drivers, Make sure your adapter is capable of transferring the audio and last we know from the above that your graphics card is capable of producing the sound and transferring it.

kenan008

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
But I don't know which adapter to buy , is there any rule of thumb or should I just go and buy a few of them?

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

As far as i know only specific adapters will work. Do a quick search. I will later when i have more time :).

escknx

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Guys I've had GTX660 and DVI to HDMI sound worked well with it.
Now I got Radeon 7970 and there is no sound via the same connection(same adapter,cable,monitor). It shows warning that in order to have sound I should get rid of adapter.
Audio from HDMI output works well.
Card also has two DisplayPorts, is it better to buy DP-HDMI adapter for that purpose?