Sign in with
Your question

My keys are turning into shortcut keys in the middle of a game

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
March 22, 2012 2:42:12 AM

Hello,
I am having issues with my laptop. Sometimes when i type the letters turn into shortcut keys and when i am in the middle of an important school asignment I loose my work, because i can't do anything. I can use my mouse, but when i try to use my keyboard it is almost inoperable. I have even tried to use an external keyboard and the samething happens. I have used Rkill, malwarbytes, norton and ccleaner, but nomatter what i do it keeps happening. The only way i have been able to temperarily fix it is to restart the computer and the problem can come back in 30 minutes or it can come back in 10hours . it even happens when i play games.

This has been going on for about 6 months now.
And i am sick of it.
March 22, 2012 2:56:52 AM

I turned off the sticky keys when i bought the computer, and when i followed the instructions on the website that you provided, It showed that the sticky keys were already shut off. but i put a checkmark in the box then hit apply then i unchecked the box then hit apply again. I will leave my computer on for 24hours and if the problem still exists i will put a reply
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
March 22, 2012 3:04:57 AM

What do you mean by shortcut keys. Does E open explorer R open Run and stuff like that?

If it is, you may have a stuck start key(Alt and Ctrl also do things when pressed with other keys, this can be a defect or something wrong with the keyboard it self). I have seen it happen sometimes(even in software, but mostly with alt or control keys) but a quick hit to start then alt then control on both sides of the keyboard fix it.

To rule out the keyboard on the laptop, you have to actually disable it when testing another keyboard since i can press start on my computer and R(Run) on my second keyboard(so 2 different keyboards in use) and it will still happen.

You can connect the second keyboard and then disable the onboard on in the Device manager.

When it happens, you should be able to at least save your files with the mouse to avoid loosing work.

EDIT

For games, if you use steam in game or xfire in game, make sure you are not pressing any keys when you activate them(just the keys you need, so Shift+Tab for steam and i think scroll+X for xfire.).

I know if you are holding a key when you bring up those things, sometimes the game will keep that key down when you go back. This can make you just keep walking in a game when close steam/xfire in game.
March 22, 2012 3:12:46 AM

Ok, I will try that out. But usually what happens if say for instance i am in a word document or a video game and i hit a key, it either opens up a shortcut and backs me out of whatever i am doing or the keys that are not matched to a shortcut don't work. But i do think r opens the Run prompt. I have not tried the start alt and double shift on both sides.
a b $ Windows 7
March 22, 2012 3:26:10 AM

Well with any luck it will just be that. Replacing a laptop keyboard is not that hard.
March 22, 2012 3:41:05 AM

I don't have a solution, but just wanted to say that OP is not crazy. I've had a similar problem. Every few days, I wipe the grease off my laptop keyboard. Once when I did this, the combination of keys I pressed while wiping deleted some files. So now I lock the account before wiping. Any wayward keypresses get sent to the login screen instead.

Most of the time this works. But about 1 in 10 times, I finish cleaning the keyboard, login again (using my fingerprint), and it's like the alt key is stuck down. e.g. I type f and the computer acts as if I pressed alt-f. I click with the mouse and it acts like I'm alt-clicking. Like OP, sticky keys is off. I've tried all sorts of things and I can't get it out of this mode, nor have I been able to figure out what key combination while wiping puts it into this mode.

This is a software problem The alt key is not physically stuck because a reboot fixes it every time.
a b $ Windows 7
March 22, 2012 3:47:40 AM

TexasOne said:
I turned off the sticky keys when i bought the computer, and when i followed the instructions on the website that you provided, It showed that the sticky keys were already shut off. but i put a checkmark in the box then hit apply then i unchecked the box then hit apply again. I will leave my computer on for 24hours and if the problem still exists i will put a reply

Good choice! I have heard about doing that from others as well so that it re-writes to the settings file.
November 16, 2012 7:58:46 PM

I have this problem on windows 8 with a wireless keyboard while playing diablo 3.
The only keys I am pressing(pretty rapidly at times) are 1,2,3,4,left click,right click.

The only solution I have found is by turning on onscreen keyboard.
I would like a permanent solution but for those who have this problem you can fix it temporarily very fast by settings
control panel> ease of access> start onscreen keyboard.
Atleast that's how I do it in windows 8.
January 22, 2013 4:27:01 PM

Nukemaster...

Greetings and gracias for the tip here:

nukemaster said:
What do you mean by shortcut keys. Does E open explorer R open Run and stuff like that?

If it is, you may have a stuck start key(Alt and Ctrl also do things when pressed with other keys, this can be a defect or something wrong with the keyboard it self). I have seen it happen sometimes(even in software, but mostly with alt or control keys) but a quick hit to start then alt then control on both sides of the keyboard fix it.

I thought I was losing my mind and in for the battle of a lifetime all at once. Sorry for the reference, but my life flashed before my eyes when this started (like a nuke detonation if you will)...

This one must be archived for future reference!
August 24, 2013 1:52:58 PM

try pushing ctrl a lot when your computer boots up
November 27, 2013 10:02:46 PM

Did anyone ever find the solution? I am going through the EXACT same thing right now and I just want it to stop. I usually just restart my comp, but it is really a hassel when it happens. I know there must be some shortcut that I have to undo, but idk how or what :( 
November 29, 2013 9:31:36 PM

I haven't had a recurrence of the problem since I started wiping down my keys one row at a time (instead of everything at once - see my earlier post in this topic). However, from random reading it sounds like the problem is Windows is not getting a key-release event for whatever reason. Try pressing and releasing the stuck command key (ctrl, alt, shift, windows, menu) one at a time. For ctrl, shift, and alt, you have remember that the keyboard has two of those keys - one on the left and one on the right. Either one could be stuck so you have to hit and release both one at a time.
January 22, 2014 1:53:08 PM

I have been looking for a permanent fix for months, there just doesn't seem to be one.

What I do when this happens:

1. Open search with your mouse.
2. Hold shift key, then type in "On screen" or "On screen keyboard", "On screen is enough most of the time to get "On Screen Keyboard" as an alternative.
3. Open the On Screen keyboard. When the On Screen keyboard is up, the problem is gone, and won't come back (for me at least) until I shut it down.
January 26, 2014 11:49:32 AM

Hi! This seems to work for me

Hit enter. Wait for narrator dialogue to open. Exit narrator. The issue is solved
In narrator settings change start options for dialogue should this happen again.
I don't know how or why this works...but it does
Cheers! :) 
January 28, 2014 9:42:18 PM

when this happens i press "windows key + v" then i return back to typing without restarting the pc
March 25, 2014 4:32:20 AM

TexasOne said:

Had the same issue just enabling and disabling sticky keys works.
"ghost in the machine" :) 
March 25, 2014 9:48:17 AM

Hi all,

I was having this same issue. While it IS the fault of Sticky Keys (sort of), merely turning off Sticky Keys alone does not fix it - at least it didn't for me.

The PERMANENT solution:

Navigate to Control Panel > Ease of Access > Ease of Access Center > Set Up Sticky Keys

In the second to last section, in "Options" you want to uncheck "Lock modifier keys when pressed twice in a row". This is the culprit. Honestly, it's pretty dumb that it's on by default.
!