Which graphics card to replace 2x 470s?

I have 2x 470's in sli currently. I bought them used and thought they were an awesome deal at $100 per card. They perform awesomely for something that was only $200. The problem... I can't handle the heat anymore. I'm getting an extra $6000 or so this month and I was thinking about using some of it to buy a replacement card. I'm seriously considering the HD 7970 GHz edition. Any suggestions? Comments?

Also I currently have an FX 8120 CPU overclocked to 4GHz. Any recommendations to upgrade that? It seems to do good in the games I play but it would be nice to finally have a Core i7 while I have the money to get one. Then again I'd have to get a new OS, a new motherboard, and I'd basically have to start all over. That idea doesn't sound too appealing.

If you have to get rid of them now you are looking at the correct card to replace them with. But is you can wait a little while then i would suggest a 8870, 8950, 8970, 780, or the 770. Whichever comes out first granted. Either way you will have an awesome system.

I know the GTX titan is coming out next month but I can't justify spending the money that it will cost.

If you buy Nvidia there probably wont be many driver issues. AMD has actually not been doing to bad in the drivers spectrum of things lately but i wouldn't hold my breath, as they have always had driver problems at release.

I think maybe I should wait to see what the new graphics cards can do and see prices before deciding. It's difficult though because I rarely power on my desktop anymore due to the heat. I could take one card out I guess. That should definitely help with the heat but that's a long time to run with half the GPU power that I'm used to.

axleh93

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
It's looking like the 8xxx and 7xx series wont be out til Q4 now, so if you can't wait that long a gtx 670 or a 7970 will suit your needs perfectly, as long as you have the hardware to support them.

Ok. So it looks like I'm not waiting now. Next week I'll be buying either a GTX 680 or an HD 7970 GHz edition. Considering that they are about equal and AMD's card is cheaper I might just go with AMD. I'm not getting the Titan because I don't want to spend nearly $1000 on a graphics card that will be outdated next year.

That's what I was thinking but then again there's no PhysX from the GPU that way. I guess PhysX doesn't matter that much but then again I'll always feel like I'm missing out on something. I could probably run a hack and drop my GTX 460 in there with it for PhysX though...Then again I was wanting a single card setup.