Sign in with
Your question

Confused about PCIe 3.0 x16 or x8/x8

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 4, 2013 9:25:16 PM

So im trying to piece together a few updates for my PC and im confused as far as the whole x16 or x8/x8. I want to buy the ASUS Sabertooth Z77 mobo and then SLI 2x GTX 660's. Will the mobo be able to fire x16 for both? Or does x8/x8 mean it will only fire x8 per card?

Also if it only fires x8 per card, would I be better off going with just one card at x16? I'm so confused, any help will be greatly appreciated.

More about : confused pcie x16

a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2013 10:46:21 PM

PCIE 3 x8 is the same speed as PCIE 2 x16 so it will make no difference to x16 as no card can use the full bandwidth of PCIE 2 x16 (maybe the best cards 1-2 FPS).
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2013 11:02:34 PM

Tomalot said:
So im trying to piece together a few updates for my PC and im confused as far as the whole x16 or x8/x8. I want to buy the ASUS Sabertooth Z77 mobo and then SLI 2x GTX 660's. Will the mobo be able to fire x16 for both? Or does x8/x8 mean it will only fire x8 per card?

Also if it only fires x8 per card, would I be better off going with just one card at x16? I'm so confused, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Save the $100, the sabretooth is overpriced.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

8x/8x as well.

Do you already have the 2 660's?

a c 125 U Graphics card
February 5, 2013 2:05:01 AM

Hi,
I have the Sabertooth. I bought it mainly due to the 5-year Warranty but I would recommend most others to look elsewhere. If you STILL want it there's a few things you need to know for optimal setup.

I recommend an 1155/Z77 motherboard from Asrock, Asus or Gigabyte.

My own advice would be THIS board:
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=70263&vpn=GA-Z77X-UD3H...

*Please note the number of DOA results from people for the Asus board recommended above. That's a big warning sign to stay away! (click on the 1 out of 5 results).

GRAPHICS CARDS:
If you do NOT already have the GTX660's then I strongly recommend a SINGLE graphics card like the HD7970 or GTX680 instead. If you absolutely want SLI/Crossfire then note the following:
1) SLI is better than Crossfire (easily Googled)
2) 2xSLI or Crossfire is prone to MICROSTUTTER
3) 3xSLI or Crossfire runs similarly to a single GPU, however setup can be difficult and expensive.

RAM:
You didn't ask, but the optimal value for gamers is:
- 8GB @1600MHz (low latency RAM)
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=58099&vpn=F3-12800CL8D...
*whatever RAM you get, make sure the CPU Heatsink clears it (you'll want a non-stock CPU HSF combo)

More advice?
a b U Graphics card
February 5, 2013 2:45:29 AM

Well I have only had my Asus Z77 Sabertooth for a few weeks but so far I really like it. I have only been back with intel for less than a month so I can't really say much but I can tell you that the build quality of this board is much better than the Gigabyte this board is replacing.

I got a GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 and I was using my Sapphire HD 6950 with it while I was waiting for my GTX 670 to come by UPS. So when I got it I go to remove the AMD card power down remove the PCI-E power cords and unlock the PCI-E lock remove the two screws on the IO plate and pull the card out and the entire PCI-E slot comes off with the card! After looking closer at the board I find that none of the PCI-E x16 slots where securely fastened to the board and would have came right out if I had put any card in them. Very poor build quality. The Asus on the other hand is much better and I would highly recommend it. I have only really used Asus and MSI for motherboards over the years so I do not really have any reference beyond that except for the one Gigabyte board and I will never use them again.

I had got it only because it was recommended as one of the best boards for a Hackintosh but as it turns out the Asus Z77 Sabertooth worked much better for that anyway.
February 9, 2013 4:19:48 PM

maxalge said:
Save the $100, the sabretooth is overpriced.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

8x/8x as well.

Do you already have the 2 660's?

I don't have the 660's right now. Still looking at all of my options. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews as far as two gpu's vs one. If it really won't make a huge difference I would prefer to just save the money and go with one card. I've looked into the G1.Sniper3, but thats only if I decide to go with 2x gpus.
!