Display driver has stopped responding and has successfully recovered

OERB57

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
I got a new graphics card and when I try to play a game like minecraft, a few seconds/minutes later the game freezes! Then the screen turns black for about 5 seconds and then a message pops up saying:

Display driver has stopped responding.
Display driver has stopped responding and has successfully recovered

And the game stays in blackscreen.

Here are my specs:

HP Pavilion Elite m9715f Desktop PC Running on Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium.
- Power Supply : 600 Watts
Diamond Multimedia AMD Radeon HD 7770 ghz edition (the new graphics card)
AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core Processer
Latest Graphics Driver and Latest BIOS (So no problem there)

I will provide more information as needed.

Please Help!

P.S.
I also tried free version of Driver Fusion.

Solution
Did you make sure to plug in the PCI-E 6 pin power plug into the graphics card? If you did, make sure it's properly plugged in and not loose.

If the power supply isn't the problem, there is a possibility your card may be defective. You could see if you can get a replacement from your seller; if not, try the manufacturer.

If that doesn't work, then it's probably the drivers issue. Do you have previous drivers on your computer? Uninstall the previous drivers before installing the AMD drivers if you haven't done that.

Best of luck!

bdiddytampa

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
I can't find the specific specs for your model online, but most of the HP Elite models seem to have 350w or so power supplies. The graphics card you are running requires 500w minimum to operate consistently. Check that your PSU is sufficient, that might be your problem.

OERB57

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011

In fact that might be the problem. I'll check it and when I do I'll leave a reply.

EDIT: Got the computer name wrong, it's a HP Pavilion Elite m9715f Desktop PC. Power Supply: 300W. I'll get a new one.

bdiddytampa

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Yeah that'll be it then this is what I have in mine

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

not too expensive and Corsair is a great make, if you want cheaper this one is Rosewill, it's Newegg's own brand and they ain't bad

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182044

but you get what you pay for with PSUs for sure, just make sure to get one that has 20+4 pin motherboard connector cuz that's what you motherboard needs. Hope it all works out, good luck!

bdiddytampa

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012

That one would work, but the Corsair I mentioned has a more efficient rating, and it's 20 bucks cheaper with the rebate now, 49.99 for that PSU is a steal :)

OERB57

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011

Okay, I installed the Corsair you mentioned but it didn't work. It still freezes.

Here's some things I haven't mentioned, someone might see a pattern. This happens on Steam games, sometimes on Youtube. Happens on this game called Cuboid Sandbox and it happens on Spore.

Sometimes (It's been happening more and more recently(before I got the new PSU)) it doesn't "recover"(It doesn't turn the screen of the program black and doesn't show the message: "Display driver has stopped responding and has successfully recovered"). It just stays frozen.

darrick1994

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Did you make sure to plug in the PCI-E 6 pin power plug into the graphics card? If you did, make sure it's properly plugged in and not loose.

If the power supply isn't the problem, there is a possibility your card may be defective. You could see if you can get a replacement from your seller; if not, try the manufacturer.

If that doesn't work, then it's probably the drivers issue. Do you have previous drivers on your computer? Uninstall the previous drivers before installing the AMD drivers if you haven't done that.

Best of luck!

Solution

OERB57

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011

Yes, it is properly connected.

That might be it. I'll be back with a new one.

OERB57

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011

Ok so I went to Future Shop and they got me a more powerful NVidea and now it works! So thank you very much! :wahoo: