Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Reinstall windows 7 on SSD but programs installed on separate HDD

Last response: in Windows 7
March 22, 2012 3:03:46 AM

Hey guys first post but I've used this website a few times already and am hoping someone can help!

I am going to reinstall windows 7 on my SSD but when I built my computer a few weeks ago I used a 60gb SSD for windows and a separate HDD for files, programs, etc. Now I am wondering how reinstalling windows 7 will affect the program files on the separate HDD. I'm figured the OS recognizes the programs on my separate HDD b/c it installed them there. But if I install a new OS how can I tell it to recognize the program file on my separate HDD?

Or am I S.O.L. and I need to delete the programs folder and reinstall everything fresh with the fresh OS?

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Magnumstg
a b $ Windows 7
March 22, 2012 11:03:51 AM

Sorry...... for a clean install - you'll have to re-install your programs so they mesh with the newly installed OS.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
March 22, 2012 11:06:54 AM

magnumstg16 said:
I'm figured the OS recognizes the programs on my separate HDD b/c it installed them there. But if I install a new OS how can I tell it to recognize the program file on my separate HDD?
When a program gets installed it's entries in the OS registry lets Windows understand how to work with the program. That information will be on the older installation and not available to the freshly install OS.

Related resources
March 22, 2012 6:47:40 PM

WR2 said:
Sorry...... for a clean install - you'll have to re-install your programs so they mesh with the newly installed OS.

Thanks man, appreciate it! I figured, but always best to check.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 22, 2012 6:59:40 PM

You're right about that.
If it had been possible would have saved a lot of work.
m
l
March 24, 2012 1:59:48 AM

Best answer selected by magnumstg16.
m
l
!