Solved

Reinstall windows 7 on SSD but programs installed on separate HDD

Hey guys first post but I've used this website a few times already and am hoping someone can help!

I am going to reinstall windows 7 on my SSD but when I built my computer a few weeks ago I used a 60gb SSD for windows and a separate HDD for files, programs, etc. Now I am wondering how reinstalling windows 7 will affect the program files on the separate HDD. I'm figured the OS recognizes the programs on my separate HDD b/c it installed them there. But if I install a new OS how can I tell it to recognize the program file on my separate HDD?

Or am I S.O.L. and I need to delete the programs folder and reinstall everything fresh with the fresh OS?

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Magnumstg
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about reinstall windows programs installed separate
  1. Sorry...... for a clean install - you'll have to re-install your programs so they mesh with the newly installed OS.
  2. Best answer
    magnumstg16 said:
    I'm figured the OS recognizes the programs on my separate HDD b/c it installed them there. But if I install a new OS how can I tell it to recognize the program file on my separate HDD?
    When a program gets installed it's entries in the OS registry lets Windows understand how to work with the program. That information will be on the older installation and not available to the freshly install OS.
  3. WR2 said:
    Sorry...... for a clean install - you'll have to re-install your programs so they mesh with the newly installed OS.

Thanks man, appreciate it! I figured, but always best to check.
  4. You're right about that.
    If it had been possible would have saved a lot of work.
  5. Best answer selected by magnumstg16.
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Windows 7 Hard Drives SSD