Wondering if it's time to reapply Thermal Paste to my GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterofwar14

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
Greetings!

I'll get right into it, my graphics card is a Nvidia GTX 580 and I've had it for about 3 years now. Until about 2 months ago, I never had any issues w/ cooling my graphics card by just letting the fan do it's own thing and regulate itself.

Recently, I've had to use MSI Afterburner to bring my fan speeds to 80% at all times when playing games to even be able to run fairly low spec games.

The thing that makes me think that it isn't just the card itself getting old is that the temperature will go to about 62C-64C when MSI Afterburner is saying that the card is only using about 30-40% of it's power.

As the title suggests, I'm wondering if it's time to reapply Thermal Paste because it seems like it's exactly what I need. The only thing about it is that I've never done anything like this. Even though it doesn't look difficult from the tutorials I've seen, I'd rather not do it unless I'm at least 80% sure it's gonna be what the card needs.

As far as the thermal paste itself goes, I'm thinking of getting Arctic Silver 5 if I do decide to do this, as it seems like a popular and affordable choice.

Any feedback is appreciated and I'm glad that I have this place to ask these questions, as each time I have, an answer has been found.

Solution
Hello... I buy Used Video cards alot... and the second thing I do, after verifing it works, is to remove the Fan/Heatsink, clean, and re-apply thermal... very easy and fast thing to do for an OLDER card... Paste used in some cards is cheap, and can become died out and Hard...

The screws are very small... use a proper tipped screw driver, as to not strip out the Heads, and work over a surface to avoid losing tiny screws... un-plug your fan connector... make sure every screw is removed under the card... Sometimes there might be some on top, under the BRANDING STICKER/LOGO... sometimes there might be one or Two to the DVI connector plate.

SLOWLY, Pull, and Twist, Fan Heatsink from the GPU and MEMORY... Sometimes there is Foam Thermal...
Hello... I buy Used Video cards alot... and the second thing I do, after verifing it works, is to remove the Fan/Heatsink, clean, and re-apply thermal... very easy and fast thing to do for an OLDER card... Paste used in some cards is cheap, and can become died out and Hard...

The screws are very small... use a proper tipped screw driver, as to not strip out the Heads, and work over a surface to avoid losing tiny screws... un-plug your fan connector... make sure every screw is removed under the card... Sometimes there might be some on top, under the BRANDING STICKER/LOGO... sometimes there might be one or Two to the DVI connector plate.

SLOWLY, Pull, and Twist, Fan Heatsink from the GPU and MEMORY... Sometimes there is Foam Thermal Pads to Voltage regulators and memory chips, Try too not destroy them too much, and to reuse them when putting back together.

Solution

masterofwar14

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
Thanks for the reply and the information about the process. I have been looking at a lot of video tutorials before even thinking about doing it so I'm confident that I know how, it's just that I'd rather not take the risk unless I know that this is what it actually needs. Sort of like not wanting to reformat a hard drive unless you're sure that it'll fix your problem

sumitd

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Hi
i bought an old 9800GT (with 3 months warranty left only) it died with 6 days usage so i sent it for RMA and got my money back from the seller. Now the company(MSI) sent is an GTS 250(it does not have driver cd with it and the box is also open, Is it new? dont know) he is now demanding $10 extra for it.Should i take it ?
also tell me average lifespan of graphics card (MSI)

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED

thread hijacking is against the rules. start your own thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.