my floppy drive doesn't work

G

OK, So I just put together my first computer and it works perfectly, except for one thing. The floppy drive doesn't work. The light for it is CONSTANTLY on. I'm pretty sure I have everything plugged in correctly. Weird thing is, Windows 98SE installed right from the CD. I didn't figure it out at the time, but when I tried booting from the floppy disk, it didn't work so I just tried booting from the WIndows CD. It worked, anyway. It DID ask for the bootdisk sometime during the HD formatting or windows installation (can't remember which) so I put it in, but I don't know if was working. But now when I try to read a floppy in windows, it can't access it. The brand of the floppy drive is Mitsumi and I bought it for $9 from newegg.com. I was thinking it might have a been a problem with the floppy drive cable because at the end it sort of splits and bends but when I took a look at another floppy drive cable from the local computer store, it was the same exact way so this led me to believe that ALL floppy drive cables are like this.

On a side note, my mobo is an ECS K7S5A, and in the product description on newegg.com it says fits all AMD XP Processors but then in the manual it says up to 1.4GHz (which is what I have) but if I decided to get an even faster processor, would this mobo support it or not? Maybe it's because the manual was printed back in 2001 so it doesn't know about faster clock speeds for athlon xp.
oh yeah, and the fan in the back of the computer it supposed to push air out and the fan in the front pulls air in right? lol ok too many questions, but thanks

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The floppy drive doesn't work. The light for it is CONSTANTLY on. I'm pretty sure I have everything plugged in correctly
Doesn't sound like it's hooked up right, sounds like the cable is on backwards. Just flip the cable over for sh*ts and giggles and see if that fixes it.

On a side note, my mobo is an ECS K7S5A, and in the product description on newegg.com it says fits all AMD XP Processors but then in the manual it says up to 1.4GHz (which is what I have) but if I decided to get an even faster processor, would this mobo support it or not? Maybe it's because the manual was printed back in 2001 so it doesn't know about faster clock speeds for athlon xp.
That is most likely the cause, the manual is out of date. I would go to the website for the motherboard and see if they state the board supports faster processors. You might need a bios upgrade though.

Did Weird Al write "It's all about the Pentiums" about me?