Pata

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2001
So I tried to install a copy of Windows xp for home and got into so many problems. To make a long story short, after two days with Microsoft, we finally installed the bloody thing. But it was determined that I had a bad stick (or two) of RAM. I have 2 X 128 and 1 X 256. I had to remove the 256. How can I find out if I have a bad stick or what is wrong with it? I was told there are programs you can download to read the ram.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pata on 03/13/02 05:00 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

FatBurger

Illustrious
There's a program called Memtest86 that will test for you, you can search on the forum for it.
Simply put, though: if you have problems and you take out the stick and your problems go away, then the stick was what was causing problems.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
Fatburger's right (again). If a stick causes problems, it is either bad or incompatible with your system. If you decide to test, do it with one stick at a time.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I'm always right, what are you talking about?
J/k of course :tongue:

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

Kidane

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
Maybe the stick isn't bad, maybe you're just mixing RAM of different speeds or something. Also, alot of motherboards have problems with all of their DIMM slots populated. What kind of motherboard do you have?

Det finns inget dåligt väder - bara dåliga kläder

TRENDING THREADS