Gtx 680 lightning sli

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhanu10

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
guyz i wan2 build an gtx 680 sli ..............but jus want to kno which gtx 680 cards should i use for sli??

is gtx 680 lightning edition suitable for one in an sli??

i have tx 850w v2 PSU

Solution
Hey folks. First off I don't agree at this point with buying cards as powerful as the 680 with only 2gb of vram. Especially when you are buying two of them. Think about it. You will have the graphic power to run games well a couple years from now but you will certainly fall short on RAM much sooner. Just my opinion but the 4gb models do make sense. I have SLIed MSI 680 Twin frozr 4gb models and I can tell you it is true that a couple games already (there will be many more this year) use more then 2gb. Anyway though I have a 2700k running at 5ghz and those two GPUs with a mild OC. about +100 core clock and +250 mem clock. My PSU is a Seasonic X650 Gold+. It barely uses its fan after an hour of gaming. If you compare your PSU to mine you...

plasmaj12345

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

If you want top notch, you should be open to an AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition since its the best single GPU. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

It costs around the same as the 680 but performs better. Get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125439 It also comes with Crysis 3 and Bioshock for free.

Your powers supply should be enough for these GPU's and possibly some overclock. Corsair makes good PSU's.

30% increase is pushing it... They stated it would be 85% of the 690 then some random person posted a 3dmark11 extreme score with the graphic card crossed out and called it a titan... Who know if its true... I would say the titan will be about 85%-110% of the GTX 690, and worth the wait to see how it performs if you are going to drop that amount of money on graphic cards. It should cost around $800-$900 and is rumored to come out at the end of this month.

EDIT: Grrr BigMack70 posted like the same thing i did just seconds before me! his post was not here when i was typing! not fair.

You should wait for the release of Nvidia Tytan rather than spend all kinds of money on SLI 680's

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-titan-features-6-gb-memory-review-samples-shipped/

bhanu10

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

i agree with u :)

geforce titan hardly crosses 690.............very rare though ......................there are rumors it could be almost same as gtx 690

mojin7

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Hey folks. First off I don't agree at this point with buying cards as powerful as the 680 with only 2gb of vram. Especially when you are buying two of them. Think about it. You will have the graphic power to run games well a couple years from now but you will certainly fall short on RAM much sooner. Just my opinion but the 4gb models do make sense. I have SLIed MSI 680 Twin frozr 4gb models and I can tell you it is true that a couple games already (there will be many more this year) use more then 2gb. Anyway though I have a 2700k running at 5ghz and those two GPUs with a mild OC. about +100 core clock and +250 mem clock. My PSU is a Seasonic X650 Gold+. It barely uses its fan after an hour of gaming. If you compare your PSU to mine you should get an idea maybe? Sounds like you are making a beastly computer bud! Good luck to you!

Solution
1) If you're playing on two monitors, you need 4GB cards. If you aren't playing on two monitors, then you REALLY don't need SLI - a single card of the caliber we're talking about will max out any game.

2) The 680 is only 5% faster than the 670, but it's 25-30% more expensive. It's just a bad idea to buy one, even if you want the bragging rights.

A single 2GB 670 will max out basically any game out there. If you're playing on three monitors, get two 4GB 670s.

mojin7

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Really... think of it this way. If you want to max out games (yes at only 1080p) from 2011 and 2012 go with 670 2gbs all day. GREAT VALUE...
As you said you dont care about the cost so... If you want to max out games (yes even at 1080p) from 2013 and 2014 I would recommend spending the money on 4gb. Games already use over 2gb and will continue to use more.
Far too many 2gb 670 fanboys. If you've got 680 money to spend, spend it, and spend it right.

mojin7

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
2GB will not be enough VRAM forever bud. Some games already max it. And when you hit that wall your fps will absolutely throttle back to compensate for the LACK of vram. Thats not theorycrafting or thoughtsmithing. So when somebody says the words "i need top notch brother irrespective of cost" I dont feel Im wrong for bringing this to their attention.

People with 2gb 670s will always tell you its more then enough ans people with 4gb 680s will always tell you the truth... Its never enough.

Anodynic

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013

This is absolutely not true. I might say something along these lines to a nub casual gamer to prevent them from spending too much on tech that goes obsolete so quickly, but for someone wanting top performance this is just garbage.

For example, on Skyrim with about 35 mods and ENB, my 2X 670 SLI rig uses 3.5GB of VRAM. Frame rates generally stay above 60, but I can get it to dip below in some situations.

mojin7

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
They already do. A single 680 DOES push the vram to over 2gb in some games already released. A single 680 DOES push the vram to over 2gb in some games already released. Thats like 4 times I have said it now. I dont know where you have been bud. Now are you expecting games to use more or less VRAM this year? More obviously. The rest of what you said is moot. Ive owned both and played both single and SLI on the latest games. And don't even get me started on AMD...

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I bought my dad a gtx 680 4gb for xmas simply because the 4gb will last longer for newer games. True you don't notice a difference compared to the 2gb version but it was only $10 more so why the heck not? I think it will make a huge difference with newer games with extremely high texture packs such as Crysis 3 and MMO's with a crap load of players on the screen at once.

The issue is the memory bandwidth... The 680 can't utilize much more than 2gb because of this i believe, so having the extra really won't help much - unless you are able to overclock the memory by a huge amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.