AMD Radeon™ HD 7870 - No signal

jdunx

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
I have a DIAMOND AMD Radeon™ HD 7870 GHz Edition PCIE 2G GDDR5 Double Black Diamond Over Clocked Video Graphics Card (see http://www.diamondmm.com/7870PE52GDD.php). I just bought a new system (Windows 8 pe-installed 64-bit), and this new graphics card is driving me crazy. Whether I use VGA/DVI or HDMI it doesn't work. It either says there isn't a signal or or it does a slow flicker.

Monitor: http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-IPS277L-BN-led-monitor
3.4GHz Intel Core i7-3770 CPU
12GB RAM
650w PSU
Lenovo K430

When I connect to the onboard GPU (Intel), it works, and everything is fine.

I mean, I've looked everywhere and tried many many things. But nothing seems to fix it.

Solution
First things first. Make sure that the card is seated right in the PCI-e slot and when the power is turned on the fan is spinning on your gpu.

Second is usually to check the power supply but seems as though your probably ok there.

Third, some mb makers default to the onboard gpu and disable the add in one. Intel usually always do this. In the BIOS there is usually a way to tell it which to use. Select it in there and see if it registers it.

Fourth, if there isn't any option in the BIOS, load up windows using the integrated gpu and open up your device manager(not sure where its at on win 8.) In there check to see if your video card is being recognized by checking your display adapters. If it shows up in there that means your...

drinkingcola86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
First things first. Make sure that the card is seated right in the PCI-e slot and when the power is turned on the fan is spinning on your gpu.

Second is usually to check the power supply but seems as though your probably ok there.

Third, some mb makers default to the onboard gpu and disable the add in one. Intel usually always do this. In the BIOS there is usually a way to tell it which to use. Select it in there and see if it registers it.

Fourth, if there isn't any option in the BIOS, load up windows using the integrated gpu and open up your device manager(not sure where its at on win 8.) In there check to see if your video card is being recognized by checking your display adapters. If it shows up in there that means your card and isn't the primary card then you should be able to set it as priority in there.

Last, thing to check would be is if you have another video card available would be to slide that in and see if the computer recognizes that card. If not you might have a bad PCI-e slot on your MB. If it does, you might have just gotten unlucky with the card and gotten a dud for a card.

Solution

jdunx

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013

1. Yeah, I'm pretty sure everything is in right.

2. Yeah, 6 pin into the back.

3. I can't figure out how to get to my BIOS on Windows 8...

4. It shows under the hidden devices. But it doesn't let me change priorities or anything.

5. I've done some testing with this, but I am going to try the NVIDIA it came with.

Thanks for the quick reply!

UPDATE: Tried the NVIDIA and it booted up fine. So it's an issue with the Radeon GPU.

jdunx

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Should I just return this GPU and get another one and just hope that one works? I was pretty meticulous about installing everything correctly, so it could just be a bad card.

drinkingcola86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008

I would. Most it would cost is the $8-10, assuming your in the States, to send it back. This happens every once-in-a-while. If it is within the 7 days of purchase, most places would replace it for free and cover the shipping. In the 7-30 days, shipping is usually on us and after the 30 days it is on us to deal with the manufacturer.

Texdoc

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

I'm having exact same issue. Installing XFX into HP ENVY 700 210xt with 600W psu. I adjusted bios via integrated intel gpu for safe boot crap (disabled safe boot and enabled legacy). No dice. Card also not showing up in device manager. Shouldn't b a win 8.1 issue since the card is not posting at all. I placed a much weaker card on same slot and it works fine. Sucks!